Cheney to Blitzer: Lay Off My Lesbian Daughter

1/24/2007 7:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comVice President Dick Cheney went off on CNN's "Situation Room" host Wolf Blitzer for asking him about ... his lesbian daughter Mary's pregnancy.

On Wednesday's episode, Blitzer congratulated the sneering Veep on the impending birth of his grandchild, while adding that some conservative groups are critical of Mary's pregnancy. Blitzer then read a statement by the anti-gay Christian organizaton, Focus on the Family. "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

A steaming Dick would not respond to the comment but did seethe, "I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer, who stated he was sympathetic to Mary and her partner Liz, tried defending himself by saying, "That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question." But Cheney wasn't having it and fumed, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective." Wolf quickly switched topics to another controversial woman Cheney's not too happy with, Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

This isn't the first time Dick was inflamed by someone mentioning his lesbian daughter. In 2004, the Cheneys found it inappropriate when John Kerry mentioned Mary's homosexuality during a presidential debate.

Mark

. Wolf Blitzer was out of line, as was John Kerry. Personal, family relationships have nothing to do with his job as Vice President.
If you were being asked questions about your JOB, would you find it appropriate to discuss your family's business? No way!
Wolf was out of line. Cheney is in the public eye, but to put him on the hot seat for the choices his daughter makes is wrong. And you all know it

Marissa

#10 Beatrice. You don't even know what you are talking about when it comes to the Iraq War, you must be one of those Liberal ASS(**@)) or a Democ(RAT)! From the sounds of it you must be a Liberal Democrat. What a PITY!

Get over it!!

Amy...you are WAY too intelligent to be posting here. But since you did, THANK YOU...Finally some common sense!!! Lynn I agree with you too.

And a side note this is my first post EVER on this site...not that some of you judgemental jerks care....lol....sorry had to say it.

Maddy

"Cheney is in the public eye, but to put him on the hot seat for the choices his daughter makes is wrong. And you all know it"

thanks, bob. You can copy my posts word for word any time you want to and take credit for it. I'm honored, lol.

beatrice

Theresa, I had thought that tmz.com was a media/gossip site, not a political one.

Cheney wants his family life to be off limits, then perhaps he should do a bit more to prevent his party from interfering in other people's family lives. You can't support a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, oppose legislation that would forbid discrimination against gays and lesbians, and inexplicably keep them out of the military (a military in which he's never served) and at the same time, declare that it's DIFFERENT because it's YOUR DAUGHTER. No, it's not. Every other gay person is someone else's son or daughter, and he's got no problem demonizing them or promoting discrimiation against them. He doesn't like the questions? Too fscking bad. Those questions wouldn't be asked if there weren't such a blatant disconnect between his publically-stated policy stance and his personal life.
He's a public figure trying to have it both ways. Doesn't work, no matter how often the old windbag blows up on the air. He still looks like a hypocrite.

M

I just wanted to say that I am being raised by 2 men that are both my fathers that love and care for me dearly, I am not at all "confused" about the situation. They send me to the best school and are both active in all my school activities. We are raised with morals and have been taught from right from wrong, and was taught to love everyone and not judge unlike most of you, so who is being raised right here? I also have a sister as well, so for all you that have poison minds you are the ones that need the help not us.

Get over it!!

Amy #74 is the Amy I was referring to, I just noticed another amy...and all she thought was that 'Dick was inflamed' was way funny.......sorry not the common sense I was pointing out.....LOL!

sunshine

Bush, Cheney and his administration should be IMPEACHED for the Iraq mess, Kartrina mess AND the Trillion dollar defecit this country is in, not to mention the countless times they have VIOLATED the Constitution...No wonder immigrants are returning to their homeland. I'm sure a third world country will be better than this if Bush continues to run this country!!! Can't wait for '08 election!!!!!!

JennyJenJen

Hey Tyler, I know a dude in Missouri that works at a pizza parlor that wouldn't mind taking you in, poor kid.

sam

He's the worst kind of hypocrite there is. His Administration (let's face we all know Bush is too dumb to be in charge of anything) promotes law against gays rights. While out the other side of his snake like mouth comes the inability to face the fact that his daughter is gay and should have the same rights as any other American.

I hope to God this country can hold on for two more years. TIC TOC!!!

Maggie

I thought there were rules about adding comments to this site. "Inappropriate comments may be removed"---then why didn't you remove the idiot who signed his comment--and added his email---godhatesfags.com? I would call that incredible inappropriate--wouldn't you?

ps

wow.....another reason im becoming ashamed of the people in this country is when i read stuff like this....80% of the comments left on here were like whew way out there. I dont even know why i was looking at this article but somehow i started reading the comments left by people and realized that such a divided country with all sorts of crazy people will be the downfall of this great nation eventually...so sad

Soph

I applaud Cheney for his eloquent way of telling Blitzer he was out of line and showed true devotion and love to his children and grandchildren's right to privacy and protection, regardless of who their father/grandfather is. Blitzer came off as an idiot with no shame and willing to go after the children of public officials.

sunshine

Oh shut up sophia!!! Go kiss ass somewhere else....

Midori

I understand the question that Wolf was trying to ask.....How can that duality exist, especially in a person holding the position that Cheney does. It is a legitimate question that has every right to be posed. However, I do believe that there were more appropriate ways to bring it up that didn' t have to involve his family, his daughter, and an innocent, unborn child. Any father would get defensive in that situation. I understand to some degree where they were both coming from. As a reporter, Wolf has the responsibility to get the answers to the questions that Americans are asking. And Cheney has the responsibility to answer, but he also has a responsibility first and foremost to his daughter. He dosent neccessariy have to alter his opinions and values to validate his daughters actions.