Cheney to Blitzer: Lay Off My Lesbian Daughter

1/24/2007 7:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comVice President Dick Cheney went off on CNN's "Situation Room" host Wolf Blitzer for asking him about ... his lesbian daughter Mary's pregnancy.

On Wednesday's episode, Blitzer congratulated the sneering Veep on the impending birth of his grandchild, while adding that some conservative groups are critical of Mary's pregnancy. Blitzer then read a statement by the anti-gay Christian organizaton, Focus on the Family. "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

A steaming Dick would not respond to the comment but did seethe, "I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer, who stated he was sympathetic to Mary and her partner Liz, tried defending himself by saying, "That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question." But Cheney wasn't having it and fumed, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective." Wolf quickly switched topics to another controversial woman Cheney's not too happy with, Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

This isn't the first time Dick was inflamed by someone mentioning his lesbian daughter. In 2004, the Cheneys found it inappropriate when John Kerry mentioned Mary's homosexuality during a presidential debate.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Finally exposed - shes a wierdo

I'm not a big fan of Cheney. I personally think he's as disreputable & corrupt as they come in Washington DC; the stereotypical political hack. If he got indicted & sent to prison for leaking the identity of that CIA operative, I wouldn't shed a tear. However, Wolf Blitzer should remember that he's supposed to be asking NEWSWORTHY questions, not audition for a job with Entertainment Tonight or Extra. Skewer this jerk on his extraordinarily poorly planned & executed Iraq policy or not giving a damn about the average American who's working hard just to keep up with where they were last year; leave the guys daughter out of it.

Cabo

I abhor, loathe and detest Dick Cheney. I have nothing positive to say about him. But I think Wolf Blitzer was OUT OF LINE asking him that question. This is probably the only time I'll EVER agree with that lying, snarling, arrogant Cheney.

Gene Nimtz

Just as during the debates, the Cheneys just can't help but react to anyone mentioning a fact - that their daughter is a lesbian because to them"lesbian" is a dirty word.

There is nothing more hypocritical then Cheney and his bitch-for-a-wife (God is she ornery!) when it comes to this subject.

elzahop

lokk, folks, he soes not want to admit that private rules apply to his child. this is just the typical doublespeak that we can exspect from any elected individual. God forbid that we upset their campaigns or the status quo... we are expected to deal iwith the virgin lesbian birth in relative silence.....

Soph

108. Oh shut up sophia!!! Go kiss ass somewhere else....

Posted at 10:58PM on Jan 25th 2007 by Maverick

Does this post have a problem with intolerance of a different opinion ... or look to censor MY point of view (on my post #106 at 9:06pm)? I didn't say I supported either political party ... only the issue i discussed ... which was Blitzer was out of line. Don't make assumptions about me or take my post as meaning anything deeper than I stated ... One last thing, I wouldn't worry about giving me advice on what I kiss or not ... that is a bit personal.

joan

I do not believe that George Bush and Dick Cheney are Christians. The mere fact that George W. chose Cheney as his running mate should have alerted Christians that he is not a true follower of God and Christ. No one who truly believes that the Bible is the Word of God, would EVER be in favor of homosexuality.

Carl Rove, George Bush and Cheney used religion to get the votes to occupy the White House for their own personal agendas. Just because you SAY you believe in God does't mean you've submitted to the laws and will of God.

True Christians would never have voted for George W. solely because of who he chose for his running mate. The mess that this country is in now, is because many people who agreed with the sublte racist and sexist views the republican party has expoused for years, finally felt they found a candidate who would put people of color and women in their place, under the guise of Christianity.

True Christians know that subjugating anyone especially the poor is against the word of God and Christ. When you go against the word of God, nothing you touch and venture to achieve will be successful.

Lynne Chaney was angry when John Kerry mentioned her homosexual daughter during the debates, why?, because she knows that homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God. Her angry outburst shows how fearful she is of losing the "religious right" that have been fooled into supporting people who are not true believers in God and Christ. Lynne and Dick Cheney can continue to love their daughter, and dissaprove of her homosexuality. God is first. His truth and laws are supreme over any feelings you may have for someone.

God states that homosexuality is a sin of the flesh. God does NOT advocate injuring or killing homosexuals, you are to simply not interact with them, because they are living in sin. You are not to interact with anyone who is living in sin--especially if you're aware of their sin. You are not to hate them, but pray for their release from the sinful behavior. You can tell them about the laws of God and the spiritual consequences of their sin, that's all you can do. You can't make someone choose anything. They must choose for themselves, just as God gave all of mankind the ability to choose him or the devil.

I wonder how many of these "religious right" people look back on their decision to put Goerge W. and Cheney into office with regret. You're either with God or against him. You can't choose which laws of God you'll obey, and which to disregard. When you read the Bible you learn that partial obedience is not choosing God, its choosing the devils way to live. You feel you are smarter than God and that you can trick him into thinking you're on his side, use him whenever it's convenient. One of the things you learn when you read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation is that God knows all, sees all, and is in control of all situations. He will step aside and allow you to make decisions that he know are no good for you(electing George W.) in order to prove to you who he really is and what you should look for in people who are on his side. Read the Book of Kings in the Bible, Old Testament, especially about Saul. God knew he was no good for Israel, but they wanted him anyway. God allowed him to be chosen and the people learned the hard way through his cruelty that God is to be chosen above any human being.

In this modern time we must choose leaders who follow the word of God, not their own selfish agenda. People who truly believe in God and fear his wrath.

geekgoddess

He sure get uptight when ever anyone askes about his lesbian daughter...

Is he really that ashamed that he dosen't like to talk about her ever?

Give it a rest

@ #58 Christine

You’re a hypocrite. You call yourself an “orthodox Christian” yet you support something that is clearly against the teachings of Christianity. Perhaps you should take another deep look at the Bible or enroll in some classes at your local Christian school because you would know that it IS wrong.

Just because something is “popular” and on the up rise, doesn’t make it okay. If that’s the case, then we might as well support murders, pedophiles, and terrorists.

“Everyone has right to live there lifes they way they want b/c the only one that has right to judy us is god.” -Christine

If everyone has the right to live their life the way they want, then what’s the point of having a “system”? Why punish people for crimes? Why not just wait until Armageddon for justice to prevail.

Bottom line, God created Adam and Eve to symbolize the only union a couple is to have; between a man and a woman.

The question was relevant because if Dick loves his daughter regardless of her homosexuality and doesn’t have a problem with her bring a child into this controversial relationship, then why is he taking that right away from other gay/lesbian couples? Does he really believe he and his family are superior because of their status?

I hate these contradicting hypocrites. They encourage and support war, yet refuse to send their own children. They pay billions every week to kill innocent children around the world who are victims themselves, but ignore financial problems within their own country. People are working 2 to 3 jobs just to support their families while the government is creating more hatred and terrorism, turning America into a bigger target.

The name really does him justice, he really is a Dick.

Amy B

Vega lee.... I and probably just I get your sarcasm. As for all the other geniuses that are "soooo with 2007" you might want to oh I don't know....stop being idotic...learn what S-A-R-C-A-S-M means and grow up?

Anyway, all there is to say is that Cheney is a hypocritical whore. I wonder what his daughter must feel like to have a father that is diligently working to erase her rights as not just a US Citizen but as a human being as well.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7