Brandy Unfairly Targeted, Civil Rights Group Claims

1/30/2007 4:41 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BrandyBlack civil rights leaders in Los Angeles claim the California Highway Patrol has made singer/actress Brandy "a political trophy."

The Los Angeles City Attorney is deciding whether to file misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter charges against Brandy, whose Land Rover slammed into a Toyota on the 405 Freeway killing the driver.

Today, Najee Ali, leader of Project Islamic HOPE, said the CHP's recommendation to file charges against the singer "is unfairly targeting her for prosecution because of her celebrity." Ali told TMZ he is organizing an e-mail campaign in the African American community to put pressure on City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo to reject the case.

Delgadillo says "We will treat this case like every other case and treat it very seriously because someone died."

lardheppus

I hope Brandy suffers the same penalty as Laura Bush did when she was involved in a vehicular homocide. That certainly sounds fair to me.

iknowpopculture

I recall Keri Russell killed someone in the same manner, and she did not recieve this charge. Go figure!

Lisa

TMZ found formula with the Mel Gibson story for getting readers to post comments, make it racial. Everyone knows that this is not a racial issue. Brandy was driving car and due to driver error she killed someone.
Not all of us "black people" think that this is racial so please do not lump us all together. Don't let TMZ corrupt your minds. Harvey is, was, and always will be a sleezy lawyer, and we all know reguardless of our race that lawyers can't be trusted to tell the truth.

Lisa
ADMF

Team Aniston

OMg... Are you kidding Farrah..... You're not fighting against racism... You're promoting it!!!!! If you were fighting against it the word cracker would of not came out ya mouth. Now... if it's okay to call us crackers... It's okay for us to call you a n*****s!!

Got it!!!

Only in

Article reads " is unfairly targeting her for prosecution because of her celebrity". Well, What does the Project Islamic Hope have to do with case.I'm sure Brandy can afford her own lawyers. What do the civil rights leaders have to do with this. This is what it looks like. City Attorney Delgallio is ready to make an arrest. It's clear Los Angeles is going to prosecute this case to the fullest extent.This case has gotten a lot of people angry because of her celebrity. People are outraged to think she will get away with vehicular manslaughter

Gabbi

As a person of color I just want to say that not all "black" people feel represented by the NAACP or Rev. Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson. Actually, I am sick of them jumping on any issue that involves a person of color in order to get publicity. I feel Brandy was wrong. If this were my mother, brother, child, etc. killed in the accident, no matter the persons race, creed, religion, I would want them held accountable for their actions. And believe me, if it were me that was responsible for that accident, I wouldn't have the NAACP in my corner trying to get me out of jail time, Rev. Jesse Jackson would be no-where to be found, and I would not get off with a mere fine and probation. Oh no, I would probably put "under" the jail and for quite a while. So, don't be angry at the average black person, this is not necessarily our point of view. Thanks

Wahtever

It is NOT about race Farrah, the woman killed someone because she wasn't paying attention. I wouldn't even say it was an accident. She WAS NOT paying attention DID NOT see the cars in front of her slow down because she wasn't and rammed her big ol suv going 65 mph into the back of one causing a 4 car accident that led to the death of another. She didn't even have the balls to apologize on her own. Had to have her high priced publicist do it for her.

Wicked

Black Rights Groups...KISS MY WHITE ASS. You all need to be shipped back to Africa and the rest that hide...string your asses up from the highest tree.

Rascal

Wha's the big deal? The lady had an accident while driving on one of the most dangerous expressways in the US. Give her a break. It's not as this was the only wreck there.

Cranky Pants

SHE. KILLED. SOMEONE.

She's neg-li-gent. It's not RACE, it's JUSTICE for a LACK of RESPONSIBILITY.

Igor

Whether it's Project Islamic HOPE, Jesse or Al it really doesn't
matter...they all want publicity/donations. So what do they do?
They wait around for the right opportunity and then go to town.
Do these organizations/people really care about their causes?
Probably not. Are there ligitimate civil rights groups currently?
Yes. It was a terrible accident and Brandy (as much as I like
her) is responsible. BTW, the 405 freeway near the 101/170
is very dangerous because of the different on ramps, exits
and construction. However, that is still no excuse. I hope
that all parties involved in the accident can move on.

Shirley

I'm black, it is not a race thing someone is DEAD please people lets do the right thing and call it as it is. I'm praying for the family of the dead girl and Brandy that she might say to the judge "I'm guilty I'll take my punishment".

Jennah

What gets me is that...oh, they're picking on Brandy because she's african american and a celebrity. Right, let's just forget the fact that she killed another person. A MOTHER, nonetheless. That child is going to have to grow up without their mom. Now, I'll admit, I am a fan of Brandy's. I always have been since she first came out. She's one of the few "nice" celebrities. She's not a partier, drinker, druggie, tramp type person. She's a decent human being. But that still doesn't mean she shouldn't be held accountable for her actions. She killed someone. Just because she's "BRANDY" should not change the facts.

zombiehands

Oh Brother!! She caused a fatality! It doesn't matter if she's black, brown, yellow, white, green...she needs to be charged!!

Gail

This is sad, lets ignore the woman who died because we want to make an race issue!