Sad Brad Puffs and Ponders

2/1/2007 2:11 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad Pitt took a pensive break from helping Angelina Jolie collect items from her late mother's hotel room, and sat on the balcony floor to have a cigarette on Wednesday.

Angelina's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, passed away on Saturday after a long battle with ovarian cancer. She had been living at L'Ermitage Hotel in Beverly Hills.

The tragic news brought the supercouple back to Los Angeles after their relocation to New Orleans where Brad is shooting his latest film, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

jane

Angie's mom dies of cancer and Brad deals with it by puffing on a cancer stick? I don't get it. And I don't get why a 40 something year old man with millions of dollars can't mobilize the resources--inner and outer--to kick this ugly habit. I can understand some 20 year old who started in his teens in order to feel "cool" and hasn't come around to cleaning the thing up...but a grown man with three young children and a much-touted social conscience? Make the world a better place, Mr. Unofficial Role Model..kick the cancer sticks!

Jon's a grwon man...he did this to himself!

I lost my mother to Ovarian Cancer on January 1st. She lived with her cancer for 9 years and we all (eight of us with spouses and children) came to her side 3 times over the years when she wasn't expected to make it. Cancer is not predictable and is generally a slow death. For my mom, her last downhill slide took five months. She could have lost her battle at any time during that slide. Neither of our lives stopped just because she was sick. She even went to a wedding 600 miles away at the end of October when she could have easily just been miserable on the couch. She was well taken care of and I spent quality time with her when I could. I last spent time with her at Thanksgiving and, in my way, said goodbye, knowing the end could happen at anytime. I chose to spend Christmas with my children who were not free to travel the 550 miles to her home. Only one of my siblings were there when she passed. Several had spent the holidays but had gone home.

So please, do not be so quick to judge. All families are different in the handling death and dying. My mother wanted us to continue on with life as usual. She wasn't into "death watches". As a matter of fact, she continued to work (she ran her own business) during almost all of her illness.

WTF

Very sad time for the family.

But he needs to stop smoking.

becki

Im sorry but if my mom was dying with cancer I wouldnt have been going all around the world building villages or whatever she does.Im glad she does so much charity work but couldnt it have waited until her mom passed away? That is time she will never get back that she could have spent with her mother.How sad.

karencarpenter

didn't she die of cancer? and he is smoking? how ironic.

BD

My sincerest condolences to both of them.

However, Brad REALLY needs to get help with his cigarette habit...nasty! It will kill him.

Tina

I wish he would put his mouth around my pussy instead of that cigarette.

Rach

#1. Couldn't have said it better myself. And I *love* how he is smoking after burying his mother-in-law who happened to die from cancer. A) maybe he should rethink his habit and B) isn't he supposed to be the worlds greatest dad? Stop f*cking smoking!

Allred Tree

How right you are, Becki, #1 abive. And the LAST thing I would do is suddenly move to New Orleans. She had to know how little time her mother had left. Maybe she has learned a hard lesson and will try to make amends with her father before it is too late!

k

Why isn't Tmz reporting on Paris Hilton making racist comments against blacks, Jewish people, gays, and Asians????????????

???

kEEP PUFFIN A**HOLE. MAYBE YOU'LL GET CANCER TOO.

stupid story

Leave the poor guy alone, you nasty people. I'm not a Brangelina fan at all... but who are you to judge him!

Miapocca

OH well...dont like this family, but who knows the mother probably insisted that she continue her life as normal or she probaly thought she will survive and hence no need for extra time with her kids.................

However I knOW if it were my mother, I would be moving in with her not running around and moving to the opposite side of the state.

He probably does a lot worse than smoking...with teh paris exposed out, I am wondering what else is considered normal in LALA hellywierd.

HPE

Has anyone considered...or published...the strong possibilities that Angelina's stone face appearance at the recent awards just MIGHT have had something to do with the fact that she knew her mother was in her final battle with cancer???
Could Angelina have been pre-occuppied???
Has anybody thought about that???

amy

Damn one and two. Read the article. She died with ovarian cancer. I read that Angie was with her mom quite some time. I think they have a jet. They are doing as much as they can. How would you know if her mom wanted her to go or stay. Different people act to different things. Until you walk in there shoes, I say don't leave a comment like that.

PLEASE!!