Sad Brad Puffs and Ponders

2/1/2007 2:11 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad Pitt took a pensive break from helping Angelina Jolie collect items from her late mother's hotel room, and sat on the balcony floor to have a cigarette on Wednesday.

Angelina's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, passed away on Saturday after a long battle with ovarian cancer. She had been living at L'Ermitage Hotel in Beverly Hills.

The tragic news brought the supercouple back to Los Angeles after their relocation to New Orleans where Brad is shooting his latest film, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Oh Canada

I can't say I'm shocked or surprised that the majority of you are using the death of Ms.Jolie's mother to judge. Angelina has always spoken highly of her mother and her brother, they appeared to to extremely tight.
As a SINGLE mother, Ms. Bertrand raised an exceptional daughter. She raised a spirited, independent, caring woman with a heart of gold, a young woman who is doing what she can to make the world a better place.
If I were Ms.Bertrand I would be so very proud of such a daughter; I doubt she was the selfish type of mother who would have wanted or expected her daughter to put her life on hold to sit at her bedside daily. I have no doubt Ms.bertrand received the very best care, and the love and support of both her children.
I think it's wonderful that she had the strength to hold on for seven years, in those years she was able to witness the profound change in her beautiful daughter, and became a grandmother three times. What more could a mother wqnt?

Many of you can't see pass the the beautiful face. It's such a shame, all the sanctimonious BS is only fooling the fools. If the tabloids are to be believed Julia Roberts has a much more notches on her bedposts, and she is now married to a man who was already married when she met him; but that's okay.

Face it people, envy is what fuels the Brangelina fire. Nothing more.

Ellie

He's thinking of how much happier he was with Jennifer. That's why he always seems unhappy in his recent pics.

vicki

angelina's mom had battled cancer for SEVEN years so yes in that time angelina traveled and had a life. as a mother i would want my daughter to live her life as i'm sure her mom did. it is assinine to make remarks like that, what should she have done, tied herself to her? idiots.

fettermeno

Why some posters don' t think that other people cannot favor Brangelina?

Can we agree to disagree here?

There is no need to go criticising the people who don't like what these two have done in the past.

This is a blog. Its for chatting and stating ones opinion.

fettermeno

Why is that some posters do not think that we all have different opinions?

It would be nice if posters understand that not everyone favors Brangelina.

carolynlee

I don't smoke but I.ve read that cigarettes are the hardest addiction to break . I've read that Brad has tried unsuccessfully to quit this habit numerous times . I'm sure he's thinking about the horrible consequences of this habit . I applaud him for going outside to smoke and not expose others to the effects of the smoke . I also believe that Angie kept very close communuicaton with her Mom and her Mom's doctors . I'm sure that she was always a plane ride or car ride from getting to her . No one wants our loved ones to hover over us waiting for us to die . That would be too morbid. Her Mom was probably very proud of AJ Un work and encouraged her to continue doing it with the hope and understanding that she would get better and if not AJ would be at her side if she called or was needed . We cannot pass judgement on what happened over the last few months of Marcheline's life . We cannot say what we would have done since the circumstances for eachof us is unique . To say something in judgement either makes you look very immature or backwards .

carolynlee

daly

These poor couple..... can't do anything right. Yeah, Brad... F*CK 'em!!!! I am with you, man!!!!!

joanne

Long term cancer deaths are bittersweet . both my parents went this way. know is her chance to get to know her dad. if pitt marries her now, he deserves everything thats going to happen to him.

konnie

fyi angelina got a phone call that her mother was dying while she was in new orlans she took a flight there on Saturday night & the mother died very early morning on sunday, angelina was there for 4 hrs by her mother's bed while she died thats it no longer, just 4 hrs, and it was reported on access hollywood & extra many times that her mother's condition was getting worse by the day & I'm sure with the technology nowday she knew exactly when she was going away.... and as far as the mother asking her to "live her life" come on get serious... if god forbid my mom was dying & asked me to live my life I would have ignored instead i would have spend every last moment by her side taking care of her needs, istead of just spending millions of dollars buying mansions in every corner of the world

Shante

Bee, the arguments are childish. Most of the posters are JA fans and probably so are you really they are just saying something because they don't like the fact that Brad has a family with AJ now and he is never going back to JA. You guys simply cannot accept the fact he is never going back to JA. He genuinely loves his family. Being a smoker doesn't make anyone a bad parent as I am sure a high percentage of parent's in this country do smoke and some of you smoke.

George Burns smoked Cigars and he lived until he was 92 years old and so has many others. Silly, silly arguments.

observer

You fools, you don 't even know that maybe Angelina's mother, herself, tells her not to worry about her and live her life as normal as possible, in their situation, and go wherever it's necessary for them to go, in accordance to their business. As I have learned through Angelina's interviews, her mother is a very understanding and very supportive mother. With Angelina's finances she can afford to make her mother comfortable and more, specially with her illness.

observer

yea #61, we understand that, but sometimes we can't let go if some a---hole just making a nasty post just for the sake of posting. To me it just plain ignorance.

sakura

To umustbesosmart

Yes, I care and if you don't think I've haven't NAGGED my mother everyday since I was a child to quit smoking, you're wrong! She's a grown assed (stubborn) woman who continues to smoke. And strangely enough is healthy as hell for her age. It's not the norm, but I'm grateful for that. And I know damn well how hard and painful it is to watch a person dye of cancer. My sweet aunt went from a healthy, HAPPY woman to looking like Nicole Richie on her worst day. So don't f*ing preach to me!

We've all lost people we love in this world!

And all you people making snide remarks about how Jolie was too buzy going around the world instead of being with her mother are maggots! Just because you see someone in a tabloid paper doesn't mean you know them or their life!

Sherry mccall

It is one of the most hurtful things to lose a parent at any age. I, also believe, that while she was spending so much time trying to keep Brad out of LA, her priorities became blurred. She always appeared happiest when she had him all to herself, and the world watching, just what she can make this man do for her love. I do believe, she will also take in to account, maybe, that life is too short. She have said in the last few months, how much Brad changed her, how wonderful it is to have him in her life, and anything else she could do or say, to throw salt in Jennifer wound. Hopefully, with this type of pain can come some clarity that all the time spent on trying to convince the world how so connected she is with Brad, she could have used that precious time with her mother. She has been with Brad a couple of years, but her mother has been, as Angelina put it, her best friend all her life, and she didn't get any shout out. Well, she did, when she said that she don't trust her mother, no more than anyone else when it come down to people she feel could betray her. Most people don't feel that way about their best friend, especially when that best friend is your mother. A mother, that at the time she made this statement was in her last stages of cancer. My heart hurts for her lost, however, Angelina continue's to show that she is a sociopath. Nothing more nothing less. I am sorry, let me correct myself, a beautiful, sociopath.