"Hey Paula" -- You Stole My Show!

2/6/2007 6:53 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Paula AbdulTMZ has obtained a lawsuit filed against Paula Abdul by a production company claiming the "Idol" judge tried to screw them out of a show based on Paula's life.

According to the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, Pilgrim Films and Television (PFTV) met with Abdul and David Russo (her producing partner) in 2004 and discussed a talk show featuring Abdul. According to the suit, after some false starts, the concept evolved into a reality show titled "Hey Paula," based on Abdul's wacky life.

The lawsuit alleges that the project fell apart after Abdul demanded final editorial control over the final product. The suit claims PFTV was trying to get the show back on track by selling it to Oxygen. But PFTV claims Abdul allegedly came clean and told the peeps at PFTV that "she had secretly taken PFTV's 'Hey Paula' project ... to Bravo." The suit claims she never mentioned that Russo was allegedly in on it. On January 12, Bravo announced "Hey Paula" will debut sometime this year on the cable network.

The suit asks for compensatory and punitive damages, in addition to an injunction prohibiting anyone from airing "Hey Paula."

David Russo's lawyer, Bill Abrams, told TMZ, "The allegations are baseless."

Paula told TMZ, "While I'm not going to respond to this baseless lawsuit, I will say that "Hey Paula" is based upon my life and my ideas. Last I heard, I still own my own life."

Midwest Mrs.

I used to think Paula was everything when I was a teen, but now to look at her I see how her life has changed. I really don't think we need a new show to explain what happened to Paula, it probably won't be the truth anyway. The best she could do is to get off whatever speed she's on and go back to being that cool choreographer she was when I was 17.

Jim

I don't care what anyone says...Paula I think you are swell!

sammy

Hey Paula..I think you are great......best PR going.....

Ruthie

1. Most of you that are slinging insults about Paula are childish. I have a sister who people at times would definatley think she's drunk or high, but she isn't. She dresses in sort of a different style at times, and everyone just knows that's just her. She get's high on life, she acts silly sometimes. Everyone loves her, she is over 55 and is a kid at heart still. No she is not challenged. She is a hard working, wife, mother and grandmother.

2. Paula is a large part of the character of American Idol. Though many won't admit to themselves or anyone else. The differences between her Simon and Randy is what gives the show so much character. They have tried other guests on there and they kinda just act like a bump on a log. You hardly notice they are there.

3. Delilah, doing the ole cut and paste of your issue on this site was a rude way to expand your readership. When people take these kind of shots, it just makes me look the other way.

4. Lee, Kathryn McPhee is not who this page is about either. While agree with you completley about Taylor Hicks. This lady is very talented she isn't just another pretty face. She doesn't have the natural showmanship of Taylor, but she is good. Don't be mean spirited, I'm happy for her that whle she didn't win she still a winner.

terry

just another example of a selfish biatch!!! here is a company who did all the leg work and got the show to a point that it could be sold and low and behold paula gives it to someone else.she is a flaky bitch anyway,she looks like a f***ing pill freak and why anyone would say she is hot is beyond me.i wouldnt f*** her with simons d*ck. just my opinion though

Robyn

Who the hell wants to see a show about Paula's life???? Not I, that's for damn sure! Idol has inflated that little gnat of a woman's head like a balloon, and it's gonna pop really soon!

Delilah, may I ask, "What the hell are you talking about? Do you really think anyone is gonna read and interpret what you say as interesting? "

Sick of the Shrillness

I think Delilah and old Henry are doing the horizontal mombo.... they are both cut from the same condom. Are they smokin' the crack pipe that Paula is holding tightly in her fist?
" I have never spent one day in law school! I have discovered that lawyers have "NO" professional credentials at all of any kind! " Huh? Are there that many stupid people that walk our planet? Henry .... Grandpa, get yourself a life!

janette

do you mean the paula,s afool show. and the same goes for anyone who would watch the crap.... and what the f***ck is Delilah' s damage???besides she's an idiot...

susan

I have only gotten to page 3 of all these comments. I have to say to all of you who apparently don't like Paula, some of you who don't like Simon...WHY ARE YOU WATCHING?
Why would AI get rid of any of the judges? There ratings are great, through the roof. They wouldn't and SHOULDN"T change a thin.
Paula has had some rough times...who hasn't? We all handle it differently.
I agree with Stacy, you all must be teenagers who have no clue.
I for one will be watching the rest of the season of AI, however if they made a change to the judges I don't know if I would watch. Think about it, each judge brings there own thing to the table. Simon is very to the point and tells it like it is (whether we agree with him or not we all know that he tells the truth.) Paula stays very upbeat for the contestants, she gives good criticism and even if the contestant has a bad night she tries to find something good to tell them.(don't we all need someone like that?) As for Randy he waivers between the two so it makes for a good mix.
I again say, I like Paula and if she needs some help (I'm not saying she does) I hope the show will stand behind her.
Keep up the good work Paula, Simon and Randy!

Jeanette Zook

Why is everyone so down on Paula? She's just a human being with human problems -- like we all have. If people don't like Paula, then watch another show -- I think she's "cool".

Re: Davis' remarks. For the most part, she's right on -- positive and uplifting. More people should listen.

RONNIE OF STATEN ISLAND ..NEW YORK

HEY ,HEY PAULA, I WAN'T TO SEE YOU GET YOU BACK ON THE RIGHT TRACK ... YOUR A WOMEN ,LIKE MANY IN THE HOLLYWOOD SCENE THAT HAS THE WORLD BY A STRING, AND WHAT DO YOU DO ...THROW IT DOWN THE CRAPPER.. THERE IS STILL HOPE , I PERSONALLY THINK YOU STILL HAVE THE LOOK AND THE TALENT TO OVER COME WHATEVER IS POSSESSING YOU AT THIS TIME ,. ITS EASY FOR PEOPLE TO LAMBASTE ,AND DEBASE YOU, BECAUSE YOU ARE BACK IN THE LIMELIGHT . EASY PREY ,AND ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE ON THAT NEGATIVE WRITING TRIP. I SAY ,SHOW US ONCE AGAIN WHO AND WHAT YOU ARE MADE OF A BEAUTIFUL AND SEXY PERSON. YOU HAVE A FRIEND IN ME...

Squeegis

Paula is a prescription drug addict! In plain words, she loves her downers and thats about it!
Druggies are usually not drinkers. They just love their percaset, percadan, seconol and the rest!

Ron Sutton

Hey Delilah, do you know how a blog works? First of all, you keep your comments relatively short so as to not bore your readers. You don't write a book. Secondly, you stay on topic. We are talking about Paula here, not political bla, bla, bla.

Regarding Paula, all negative comments here. Do you people have anything else better to do with your time than to consisenetly and vehemently bash someone you don't know? Do any of you have faults of your own? I like Paula. She's enterprising, interesting, and a genuinely very nice person. I would love to meet her. So lay off with the "holier than thou" rhetoric. Check out the log in your own eye before you criticize the splinter in others.

chris

PAULA, SCREW THEM ALL. YOU OWN YOUR LIFE NOT THEM. I THINK YOUR PRETTY AS EVER. SOME PEOPLE JUST NEED A LIFE!!!

Dee

Delilah, news flash with two sentences here....can you handle that, rambling idiot? People SKIP PASS your diatribe and go straight to your name to address and remark what a nut case you are. Seriously, get a life.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments