Queen Latifah: I'll Adopt, But I'm No Madonna

2/12/2007 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Queen Latifah wants to adopt 18 kids, but unlike Madonna and Angelina, she won't be leaving the country to do it.

During a revealing interview with Ellen Degeneres, her majesty said, "I want to adopt an American baby ... there's just so many kids that could use a home." While Latifah says she completely understands why Americans would want to go outside the states, she would still rather "help a kid in the hood."

You can catch the entire interview on today's Ellen. Long live the Queen.

crazy bitch

What does her sexuality have to do with anything?? Thats just an ignorante comment!

I say good for her. I think that too often, everyones money, and everyones attention is on all these other countrys. Personally, I think we need to take care of the people in our own country, before we start trying to save the world. Im sorry that the other countries are so devasted,but someone has to start giving a sh*t about the orphans and homeless and everything like that... thats in our OWN backyard.

Jill

I think there's a LOT of people in this country who don't realize that there are children RIGHT HERE who need to be placed in loving homes. It's a sweet gesture to want to rescue another child from a less developed nation, but you should look in your own backyard first. I'm happy to hear the Queen is one of those who realizes this.

no one you know

I am so glad to hear her say that she will adopt a child from America! There are lots of children here that need to be adopted, but I think the red tape that goes with it is stopping everyone...the home visits, the waiting, etc...and some people would rather adopt than have their own kids, but who really knows why she wants to adopt? Doesn't matter to me why, I'm just glad she wants to do it here! You Rock, Queen Latifah!

melody

I am so glad that someone in the Industry is standing up to adopt children in the US instead of outside our country. There are children and families living on the streeets in every town we live in. Live on the Queen as she will make sure a big difference in the childrens lives that she is going to adopt. I applaud her.

We, are not amused.

Let's see how understanding you'll be if she goes to Kentucky and adopts some like tow-headed WHITE babies. She can afford it, it will look good on her arm!

LOVE PINK

SHE IS A LESBIAN! COME OUT OF THE CLOSET LATIFAH DEAR, THE WATER IS FINE!!!!! WHEN WAS THE LAST, OR FIRST TIME YOU SAW HER IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH A MAN. LET ALONE FRIGGIN' PICTURED WITH ONE!

etta

well queen it is your problem. you are crazy. first of all every body have the right to do what ever they feel like doing it is their money. if you choose to have a child from the project then go ahead. No matter what, we are the same people in the eyes of God. chill out queen you've forgotton your mother land shame on you. I bit you, you are pissed with Opera too for building a school in Africa. all of you get over your stupid selves

V

I've always liked Queen Latifah and this just makes her an even nicer person. I say good for her.

Supa WhiteGurl

WHAT TYPE OF VALUES CAN ANY GAY PERSON TEACH KIDS.

Molestation is on the rise and gay people are the reson for it. The head of Children Services which permits legal adoptions is also gay.

Which leads me to ask, what kind of values can a gay person teach a child?

Cece

#10
I don't think cross racial adoption will be a problem for her. The highest number of unadopted children are Black. So she can adopt all 18 within her race, unless she wants to go outside. Either way, I'm happy she said what we have all been thinking, we just don't have a national show to speak on. BTW, why didn't anyone say Angelina or Madonna was gay because they decided to adopt.
#10 Are you really Rose O posing on this site.LOL

val

Queen Latifah PLEASE let me compliment you and thank you for recognizing we have orphans and abused children in American who need help and homes. Angleina Jolie and Madona's capture publicity from adopting outside the country to insure onging recognition when they are frauds and use those children. If they really cared so much as they say they do, they'd have to look to the thousands of homeless children in the USA, all races, all colors, that nobody wants, but then there would not be the publicity. It's all they want. Hey, lady, and among those others afroementioned, you are a class act. Bless you for all you did to put it in front of us, what I've been thinking for a long time. You are the star.. they are trash and tramps. You Queen Latifah have my compliments .. they forget how much money they made in America and prove our orphans mean nothing to them. You are the one we wish to emulate... thank you.

Hollywood Heartbreaker

Her sexual orientation is irrelevent to adopting!
Finally! A celebrity that is willing to focus on home instead of plundering adoptees from afar (Madge, Brad and Angie, Meg Ryan) and wanting to give kids here a better chance at life instead of grabbing headlines for saving one from a village or nation state of despair- thanks for keeping it real latifah.
I admire and respect Queen Latifah even more.

milla

She will be having everbody In the babies family coming out after her !!!
she will be adopting 18 family members a celebrity millionaire adopting.

DO THE MATH!!!!!

stephanie

It is about time someone came out and said they were going to adopt from America. I am so sick of all of these stars going to other countries to adopt when there are plenty of children in the USA that need love and stability. It is amazing that the country that makes you rich you bash. If more people were like Queen Latifah we wouldn't have so many children on the streets. I hope this starts a trend and all of these stars stop going overseas for children.

joanne

thats great! lots of american orphans.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments