Anna's Mom Lawyers Up

2/13/2007 4:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Virgie Arthur and Larry BirkheadTMZ has learned Anna Nicole Smith's mother has hired a Florida lawyer to get Anna's body released for burial.

We've confirmed that Virgie Arthur has hired Coral Gables attorney Stephen Tunstall to secure the body. But there's a catch: There are two outstanding California court orders preventing burial. A judge has put a hold on the release of the body; a second order demands a DNA sample from Smith.

We're told Larry Birkhead's lawyer, Debra Opri, will ask a Miami court to "domesticate" both orders from the California court. If granted, the orders would have full force and effect in Florida. We're told Opri is making the requests in Florida today and tomorrow.

But there's a twist. We're told Birkhead has no objections to releasing the body, provided he gets a DNA sample sent to the lab he selected. For some reason, we're told Stephen Tunstall has not agreed to release the DNA to Birkhead's lab.

TMZ spoke with Tunstall, who said "I have been retained by Virgie. I do not wish to have any contact with anybody in the media."

Connie

Give Anna's Body to her mom. I hope the baby is Larry Birkhead's He will take care of it . With out the money. What going on I think Howard Killed her. Get the baby away from him. Befor he killed it. Mom should Anna's Body

Terrie/ Southern Belle

What that woman wants to have Anna's body released to her? What Judge
in his right mind would allow that?family or no family? Can;t Anna have some dignity. She tried her whole life to get away from that TRAILER TRASH woman!!
Doesn't everyone see she's the cause of this. If she would have raised her right and given her the attention she needed she wouldn't be in this situation now.
Vergie. Ahhh!!! its a little to late to step in and act like a mother!!
Look around you !!!Sorry Anna, someone needs to speak up for you!!!

Dorothea

This woman needs to leave things alone, I agree with all that she is just after the money. I can't say I ever heard about Anna's mother before she had her baby and her son had died
Please let Anna rest in peace, the slug needs to go home and mind her own business.
Dorothea

Pregnant at 44

Since Daniel Smith is already buried in the Bahamas, I don't think it would be a bad idea for Anna to be buried next to her son over there. At least they would be together.

Connie

I hope Larry Birkhead's The daddy. He will take care of it with out the money. Give Anna;s Body to her mother. HOWARD Will go to hell.

Muzik

STOP AND THINK PEOPLE!!! I don't know all of the details of Anna's relationship with her mother, but look at the fact. Anna's mother raised Daniel for the first few years of his life and she warned Anna about her associates -- and now Anna's dead. Anna wasn't exactly a noble, responsible citizen. She lived a very wild life. I'm not ever going to be convinced that EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Anna's family is horrible and evil. Maybe ANNA's issues are why she was estranged for her family. Obviously, the people she was around didn't care for her. Yes, Anna made some harsh comments about her mother, BUT she did them while obviously on the influence of some type of substance and there are two sides to every story. Virgie is doing exactly what is right. REGARDLESS of her relationship with Anna, she IS STILL HER MOTHER and that is STILL HER GRANDCHILD.

Studio

Anna had no contact with her Mother since her son was 5. Howard wasn't even in the picture back then. She was tired of her mom trying to blackmail her. When the family saw she was making good money they wanted some of it. And when she said NO they went after her in the news and on TV. Anna family is white trash to me. I don't care who the father is, but I think her mom is trying to BLACKMAIL her in DEATH. AS THEY SAY IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY...

Muzik

By the way, Virgie said that Anna was born in Houston in a middle-class lifestyle. She said Anna told her that nobody wants to hear about a middle-class girl going on to fame and riches.

Terrie/ Southern Belle

What kind of burial could Anna's mom really give her thats the whole idea?
She tried so hard to be famous and now what??

Jeanette

If she IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE DAMN MONEY THEN WHY IN THE HELL IS THE BODY BEING LAID TO REST BEING HELD UP BY HER NOT WANTING A DNA TEST DONE??? THAT IS THE ONLY THING KEEPING THE BODY WHERE IT IS....SHE WONT AGREE TO IT...

WHY WOULDNT A LOVING GRANDMA NOT WANT THE PATERNITY OF HER GRAND-DAUGHTER TO BE KNOWN UNLESS SHE HAD SOMETHING TO GAIN BY THE TRUE PATERNITY NOT BEING KNOWN????

I say all the baby daddys and grandma of the year sign a waiver saying they are entitled to no funds if the baby is theirs. Put any money from the estate in an account with an independant guardian not related to any of the perspecitive fathers and dont let it be touched by her or anyone else till she is old enough for college. No execeptions.

cheryl

Anna's mom does have the right to claim the body....I just hope she buries Anna near Daniel...then again..she is a Southern woman....and southern people are extremely patriotic, so if she broght Anna's body back to the US that would be understandable....after all Daniel was an American and could have been buried on American soil....but Anna wanted to be close to him...

Nicole P

Everyone please stop and put yourself in Virgie's shoes. We only know what the media reports. Ask any mother, no matter what your child does, even after you warn them--you still love and care for them. They are a product of you. I have watched Virgie, and three other friends on television and they all said the same thing. If Anna really hated her mom, then why would she call to tell Vergie that Daniel was dead--only to have Howard hang up the phone. Look at the interviews that Anna did 6-7 years ago. She spoke well and she was honest and sure of herself. In the last year I could barely understand anything she was saying during interviews because she would slur and she appeared tired. Her eyes would hardly focus on the interviewer. She was drugged up.
I believe that Virgie should bury Anna beside Daniel. California should work with Bahamian officials and conduct the DNA test ASAP. The islands can't afford another scandal (Natalie- Aruba). Howard is at his wits end and my take the baby and run or worse kill her and himself if something isn't done quick

cheryl

I think she should make a deal with HKS...she'll let HKS claim ANS body if he submits to the paternity test...that way he can prove how much he really loved ANS...making sure she gets buried next to Daniel...that way he can get paid by ET for an exclusive of the funeral service....

rags2riches2dust

yuk
Time to start casting these dreadful characters for all the movies we all know are a'coming.
Zsa Zsa gets to be Virgie.
and her playboy pseudo-prince for Marshall.

Pauline

Will everyone just let the woman rest in peace. The media and the public need to give her and the family time to grieve before the claws come out. I feel so sorry for her daughter, she has a hell of a life set up for her. I just hope who ever the father might be, they will do everything in the power to keep her life as normal as possible. My prayers go out to the innocent soul.