Ex-NBA Star Hardaway: "I Hate Gay People"

2/15/2007 2:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Isaiah Washington has a new point-man on Team Gay-Bashers.
Tim hates gays: listen to audio
Former NBA star Tim Hardaway is catching fire today after he went on a gay-hating tirade yesterday afternoon on the radio. "I hate gay people, so I let it be known," said Hardaway. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic ... [Gay people] shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Hardaway spewed his venom on Miami's Sports Talk 790 The Ticket in response from a question from host Dan Le Batard about John Amaechi, the retired NBA player who has revealed in a new book that he's gay. NBA commissioner David Stern removed Hardaway from league-related appearances during this weekend's All-Star festivities in Las Vegas. Hardaway subsequently apologized, but not for his actual sentiments: "I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that. That was my mistake."

Amaechi responded last night to Hardaway's comments: "It is ridiculous, absurd, petty, bigoted and shows a lack of empathy that is gargantuan and unfathomable. But it is honest."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

sean

Well I guess he shouldn't mind Michael Richards comments.It just shows the level of ignorance and stupidity of the bulk of humanity. Why do we keep letting the stupid continue to breed and get s free ride on the sweat of forward thinking people? I say sterilize them and move on.

Bob Miller

Hardaway's comments were fine..The bad part is that he apologized. I don't necessarily hate homos but I think their lifestyle is sick.

KJ

As sad as Tim Hardaway's comments are, what is really pitiful and almost funny is that he seems to believe, as most heterosexual men apparently do who express this fear of gays, that every gay man in the world wants them for sex. Come on, how conceited and arrogant could anyone be? It is very likely, in fact, highly possible, that there could be a room full of gay men (and I suspect that Hardaway has been in a locker room with gays and didn't know it) who could give a damn about having him, looking at him or wanting him, because he just might not be that interesting, and even if he was at first glance, most gay men I know prefer a man with a modicum of intelligence and tact, tact which Hardaway seems to be short of to some degree. Get over yourself, Tim - you are not God's gift to men or women, and you really need to get that attitude checked, not for the sake or improving relations between gay and heterosexual people, but so you don't have to go around with that dark spot in your soul or that empty space in your head.

Thunder

Who are we protecting here? If homosexuality is okay, why do gay people have to "come out'? Do heterosexuals have to "come out"? You can make the argument that you were born gay, but I was born heterosexual. It isn't how you were born, but how you act on it. You have a gay black man who didn't accomplish anything in basketball, and a straight black man who was a perrenial all-star. No one asked John Amaechi to come out, so his only motivation was to sell books. Tim Hardaway was asked his opinion, so he gave it. It is the honest, hard-working responsible person who gets hammered for it. It is no wonder this country and this world is the way it is today. People get their feelings hurt, and the honest people get screwed. John Amaechi, you should have stayed in your closet. Tim Hardaway, I look forward to YOUR book. Thank you for your honesty.

GMan

Hey, you think gays can't hang out with you macho A-holes and keep up? Think again--there are more out there than you think and you don't even know it. Get off of your hate parade--your thoughts are so 20th century.

LW

Wow, it's amazing to see that there are still so many ignorant people in this world! For all of you that said "good for him for sticking to his guns and saying what he believes."....let's pretend for a moment that he was white, Asian, or Latino and said, "I hate all black people!" How many of you morons would then say "good for him for saying what he believes?" I would venture to say that very few if any of you would say that stating you hate black people is cool....as a matter of fact I'm sure more of you same people would say that it was wrong and that he's a racist pig.

SO, to those of you that agree with him or think there's nothing wrong with what he said I say to you....YOU are nothing more than bigots and morons! I would also advise you to keep your mouth shut and not go whinning when someone uses the "N" word and remember what you said here!

afrench

I am so sure that Tim would be absolutely SHOCKED at the sheer numbers of gay men and women who don't "appear" gay. Those who quite honestly probably deal with him on a daily basis. It isn't as if the gay population is going anywhere, so he just better get used to it! He just sounded like an ignorant ass! I have lost so much respect for him. You can THINK some things all day long, as long as you don't SAY them! Get a clue dude and grow the hell up!

Del

You know this is so funny most of you hate GAy people but are afraid to speak up we as a society have lowered are standards its like i have to accept Gay people and its just not right , Tim spoke out on how he feels some of you were happy that he took the fall for you because most of you are too scared to say how you feel because of all the Gay people who controls Cooperate America . Thank you Tim for speaking your mind but for the record Let god be the Judge the next time that way no one gets offended!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregory S.

Mr. Hardaway may want to query his older relatives about how they felt when subjected to this same style of bigotry in the 1960s. It is shocking that anyone could possibly accept what he is saying because they claim he was at least honest. That's a load of crap which gives this macho idiot a drop of credibility which he doesn't for a second deserve. Forget sending him to "rehab" for his open hatred of 10% of the population the United States, make him do work for the Human Rights Campaign for one year. I would agree that he is hiding something yet is a selfish coward when compared to the millions of gay and lesbian people who have come out of the closet even knowing they must be confronted by this kind of widespread bigotry.

Gregory S.

One more thing, about Thunder's comment "who are we protecting here" your name is perfect because it represents the loud cracking sound of.....STUPIDITY!!!! Wow, I thought Hardaway was a dope. He just came in second.

Tandu

Love is a choice so is hate, he can hate if he so chooses, I choose to love the sinner and hate the SIN!

SNOOKIE

IT'S ALRIGHT TO USE YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH BUT, DON'T MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE AN A--HOLE WHEN USING IT. I BELIEVE YOU ARE GAY BUT YOU ARE AFRAID TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET!!!! YOU ARE NOT SORRY FOR WHAT YOU SAID YOU ARE SORRY THAT YOU WILL LOSE A LOT OF ENDORSEMENTS BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPID A-- REMARK. MCDONALDS IS HIRING!!!!

DAVE

Most people I've known who've used such harsh slurs, as Tim the ball-boy did, is surpressing homosexual feelings of their own. Afraid that the whole world can see the truth, they mask their homosexual feelings by being extremely verbal against it. A real man who is secure with his own sexuality is not offended by anothers, not at all. I'm gay and all the straight people I've met in my life, which are many... do not feel not one bit threatened. Maybe Timmy boy ought to just wear the gay flag and run a cute touch down for us all to see. I think he's probably the one whom ought to wear blinders in the locker room...

kyle

What a bunch of stupid, ugly ass MONKEYS .The two of them. If anyone called them a name, they would have Jesse and Al screaming! No games would want any of those two ugly APES anyway. They should be caged. Guess they must hate Sicko Michael J. for raping little boys and getting away with it. Do they hate OJ for killing two white people? They should go back to AFRICA on the African Queen, as soon as possible. They are cheap GHETTO QUEENS.

kyle

GIVE THOSE MONKEYS A FEW DOLLARS AND THEY STILL CAN'T SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH. THEY MAY LIKE IT BACK IN AFRICA, AND WE WOULD ENJOY THEM GOING THERE. HOPE THE MONKEY BOAT SINKS ON THE WAY BACK. GAYS DON'T WANT YOUR UGLY BLACK ASS ANYWAY. TAKE A LOOK INTO THE MIRROR AND YOU'LL SEE GHETTO ALL OVER IT. TWO WISE ASS JERKS.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments