Cornell No Longer an Audioslave

2/16/2007 2:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chris Cornell has freed himself from Audioslave.

The former Soundgarden frontman has permanently exited the "supergroup," and the breakup wasn't pretty. "Due to irresolvable personality conflicts as well as musical differences, I am permanently leaving the band Audioslave."

The band's bust-up was hardly a surprise, as fellow Audioslaves Tom Morello, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk recently reunited with former Rage Against the Machine singer, Zack de la Rocha. During a Reuters interview last year, Cornell hinted that all was not well; "Musicians aren't the kind of people who concentrate or worry about what the other guy thinks."

Cornell, curiously described as "an acrimonious artist" in the statement announcing his split, also announced that his solo album, "Carry On," would be in stores on May 1 on the Suretone/Interscope label. The album includes a cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean."

Audioslave's reps at Epic Records could not immediately be reached for comment.

Geo

Doesn't Chris Cornell get mad and cry like a little bi*** and leave every band he has ever played with? I hope he gets mad at himself during his solo career so he will quit that also and we don't have to here him.

TJ

ah, so????

Zack

There is, in fact, a God! Lord willin', now Zack can bring back that signature politically outraged rhyme style to Tom's funk-metal mastery. Let's face it, while Audioslave certainly had its musical merit... they never matched the intensity, delivery, or emotion of Rage. I'd put "Killing in the Name of..." up against "Like a Stone" any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Ask fan's of Tom, Tim, and Brad which project they thought was more groundbreaking... I think an overwhelming majority would agree... Rage Against the Machine is one of the great pioneering forces in merging two of the most in-your-face musical styles, rock and rap. I'll be "rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun" on the way to Coachella to witness this reunion.

jane doe

Sweet!!! I love Rage Against the Machine. And I loved Soundgarden too. Never got into Audioslave though.

sophia

I LOVE RAGE!!!!
GET BACK TOGETHER PLEASE.
I LOVE RAGE

Big Mac

Nick - You must be a teenager. You think Tom Morello is the greatest rock guitarist in history? You ever hear of Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, or Vai? Take it from someone who has been playing guitar for 23 of his 35 years, Tom is not even close to these guys.

Big Mac

Rage sucked. Their singer was beyond annoying.

And their stupid socialist agenda got really old. Anyone who holds up Che Guevara as a hero is a misinformed idiot. Che was a murderer who would kill anyone who stood in his way or (even peacefully) opposed him.

“Tengo una remera del Che y no sé por qué,” which translated means "I have a Che t-shirt and I don't know why."

sheltie mom

I remember when Audioslave first got together, how Chris called them his brothers and credited them for saving his life from his addictions. Guess he feels he's paid his debt to them and can move on along now. How poor is that? Tom, Tim and Brad deserve a singer who will have a little loyalty to the band.

kelly

Audioslave's 3 albums were fucking great! Soundgarden was great. Temple of the Dog ... great. RATM were great and are supposedly only reuniting ONCE.

I love CC, but I think he has a holier than thou attitude because he is such a good singer, and possibly has an attitude problem.

RAGE has always been very political. Chris has not.

I'm not surprised by the split, but it sucks.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2