Decomposing Anna

2/26/2007 3:29 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Anna's FeetSo it looks like we know what's going to happen to Anna Nicole Smith's body -- it's going to the Bahamas. But what's really going on with Anna Nicole's body -- as in, a body that's been deceased since February 8. (Warning: this can get a little grisly, so avoid ingesting within a couple hours of eating.)

TMZ got the details of decomposition from three prominent forensic scientists, including Dr. Arpad Vass of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a frequent consultant for police department nationwide, and here's the story.

For the first few days after you stop breathing and your blood stops flowing, your body's cells still think they're alive, and start to digest themselves from the inside, though your brain cells typically die within three to seven minutes after you do. Your skin, as it begins to get ingested by enzymes, begins to slough, slip, and shrink, causing sheets of skin to fall away; it's this shrinkage that explains the myth that your hair and nails continue to grow after death.

This is when things really get ugly, about four to six days after death. In what's known as putrefaction, bacteria begin to break down your body's tissues. The pancreas quickly digests itself, the gases in your abdomen start to blow up, causing green, blue and black colorations on the surface, and swelling within. Your tongue may shoot out of your mouth, and your body will begin to explode with sulphuric (i.e., really rotten egg-like) smells.

But here's the good news for Anna -- embalming will give the body up to a year of relief, especially if done well, with synthetic fluids. Dr. Vass tells TMZ that a body embalmed at the highest level of skill could be recognizable for up to two years.

Lindalovelee

TMZ.....please do not make us all find another site for ANS news. How wrong of you to report this....why not report the law of the Bahamas that will show that HKS will get his child! The Bahama law is what I want to see so we can have comments on a real outcome and not this shoddy crap your showing here....how raunch...

Anne

I wonder what people will say about me once I am long gone? TMZ you have outdone yourself. Was this really necessary?? You have really sucked the scum off the bottom on this one! Shame on you! You need to retract and publically apologize for this article! We are waiting......

someone cares

I CANNOT BELEIVE THIS, HOW DID YOU GET THIS PICTURE IF SHE WAS UNDER GUARDS. THIS BABY IS GOING TO SEE THIS SOMEDAY, THIS IS SICK.

Wicked

I was very close to my father, but had to bury him in another state, because my stepmother made this decision and it was her choice. I don't get to visit often. But I have my memories, my pictures, etc. I was never for or against Virgie one way or another. However, I think if she truly loved her daughter she could give in and let her be buried, no matter where that had to be. Just as long as Anna is buried next to Daniel, for me, that is all that matters.

Anna's dead. She so doesn't really care. Even my Dad said, do what you want with me, I won't be there. He didn't care. So I can't care...I'll see him on the flip side? Do you think Anna will make it to Heaven? Or does everybody go to Heaven?

crimdellacrim

so what will happen to the silicone? those will be on ebay a decade from now and that will all be left of her to remember.

confused

i THINK THIS WEBISTE HAS GONE DOWN HILL TO EVEN ASSUME THAT IS HER FOOT WHICH I KNOW ISTN BECASUE MR.LEVIN WAS JUST ON COURT TV AND SAID IT WASNT. THIS WEBSITE MAKE ALLEGATIONS THAT ARE UNTRUE AND REALLY MAKES THIS PROCESS WORSE FOR THE FAMILY'S TO RUN A VIDEO OF STOLE ITEMS IS SICKENING I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GIVE HER THE PEACE SHE DESERVES... THE FACT THAT HER MOM IS STILL FIGHTING FOR THE BODY IS BECUASE SHE IS GETTIN MONEY OR LAWYERS IN EXCHANGE FOR VIDEO OF FUNERAL. THAT WOMAN MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH SHE DIDNT LOVE HER DAUGHTER THE FACT THT ANNA HAD BEEN IN REHAB BEFORE SHE EVEN MET STERN SPEAKS VOLUMES!!!!!!

RICH S

maybe we can put her in a glass case in the Bahamas and let ppl come and watch her slowly rot. sure to be a tourist attraction and TMZ would have something lower then this article to report on. Way to beat a dead horse TMZ..!!! ppl, copy this post and re-post it, because TMZ will pull it.

ollie

Poor ANNA she hated her mom , now we know why as now she is gone and her mom still fight's for her knowing there is rapid decomp.... let her rest in peace wiith her son
how sad this all is

jane smith

REMOVE THE STORY
REMOVE THE STORY
REMOVE THE STORY
REMOVE THE STORY
REMOVE THE STORY

TOO MUCH INFORMATION AND THIS IS TACKY/NO CLASS

AFAN

I'm w #5 and 12!

pls

This is horrible who's sick mind thought we all needed to see this. What trash I used to read this website think I will stop if you will stoop to this low level than I would find anything on here hard to beleive. I dont care that it is not really her toes a sick sick mind to think this idea up.

Leah C

I doubt this is actually a pic of ANS's toetag. She had a tattoo on her ankle (don't remember which one). The pic above doesn't have any.

Ginger

The one thing Anna had going for her was her looks, her mother knows this.That woman, that Anna couldn't stand is very malicious. Anna knew what she was doing before she died, if you saw her last interviews. She denied Birkhead saying he wasn't the father for whatever reason, she then moved out of the country, she kept Howard around. When she lost her son, she died inside-her son was everything to her.

Anna had her faults, no one is perfect her life was a real soap opera, but she is dead now and it's very sad. I do believe that she is gonna haunt her momma big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howie aint had any in 10 yrs!

Mr. Dexter Morgan will you please go and take care of Coward? If fits all your requirements, killing the innocent and so on..........so please stop this madness!
Congrats Proud Papa Larry!!!!!!

Bring it on!

"That babys on ice....she ain't going nowhere" (as quoted by Judge Larry Bozo Seidlin on 2nd day of court proceedings ).

~ Fight for your daughter Vergie, no-one else did! Take her back to Texas to rest in peace...FINALLY~