Britney's Post-Partum Struggle

2/27/2007 2:03 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Britney Spears' troubles may have little to do with substance abuse. Sources say doctors at her rehab facility think the underlying reason for her trouble may be post-partum depression.

Sources tell TMZ that Britney's doctors have two operating theories -- either that she suffers from post-partum depression or bipolar disorder. The doctors strongly believe post-partum is the problem.

As for substance abuse, as one source says, "No doubt about it - she likes to drink." But doctors believe the drinking is a way Spears has coped with a bigger problem.

We're told Britney, who is sticking it out at the Promises rehab facility in Malibu, is currently reading Brooke Shields' book, "Down Came the Rain," in which Shields reveals her battle with post-partum depression.

We're told doctors believe Spears' problem is complicated by an intense feeling on her part that she has lost control of her life.

Previous 15 Comments | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26

Nanci

I truly hope Britney continue's to get help.p/partum is truly hard to deal with I've been there.When on treated I can tottally see all theses thing happen.Give her a break people.If you were on every cover of a magazine you too would go crazy!!!!Brintey good luck to you!!!I cant wait for your comeback I know you'll get there..Be positive!!!!

Sandra

I think Ms. Brit has some serious issues; I do agree that post partum depression could be at work here - very workable condition (been there, done that so you understand I can empathetically say this); she's an alcoholic on top of having ppd and that is a very workable condition with the right treatments; and she chooses to put herself in very public places doing outrageous things she knows the paprazzi will pick on her for so that she can retaliate. How about she DIRECTED every event in her life to this point. PPD is a possiblity in having any child so it's a risk you know going in.
I don't feel sorry for her. I think she needs to get help, quit drinking and self medicating, be a MOTHER for a while and get all that joy and love we get out of our kids, and then be inspired to write and get a record out.
Until she decides to take responsibility for her life, herself, her children, her actions, she's always going to be the "village idiot" in her own way.

YMMV

I can't believe how so many people can be so ignorant about PPD and depression.

In this day and age people should be informed and wiser about these illnesses.

mom

Having Bipolar in my family, I think Britney is suffering from it, and it is just complicated by her excessive drug use.

Vanessa

We are all humans and L.O.V.E Gossip. I just think is time to leave her alone and stop pointing fingers at her. Who are we to judge on her mistakes? We've have our own little secrets don't we??? So let's leave her alone, let her be, she will be fine. Pray for her kids to be safe and have lots of L.O.V.E.

SAGITARIUS RULES!!!!!!!!!

Amanda

Ok PPD is so real for most allll women who especially have babies close together. I have 2 girls one was born Dec 29th of 03 and then my other was born Dec 22 05 and I suffered bad with my 2nd one. I would get mad so easily and until I got on medicine I still had problems. I think that celebritys get the worst end of all this because they are in the public eye and people seem to think just because they are famous they don't have problems but NEWS FLASH they are human just like us. They just chose a different career path because they had talent. You can have alllllll the money in the world but that doesn't cure your problems. I think she will be okay because I know she loves her kids she is in a good place and I think reading Brooke Shields book will give her a good sense of what is to come next!!

Amanda

Oh and guys don't even try to comment on this. You don't have the babies you don't have our hormones and you can't even begin to experience what we go through before, during, and after having babies. My husband still to this day thinks what we go through is soooooooooo easy.

Melissa

I do feel sorry for her. When I first saw her partying out of control right after she had her 2nd son and then the flight alone from east to west followed by the head shave----My immediate response was - she's definitely suffering with some Post Partum (insanity as I called it) Having suffered myself I did some strange things like bleach my hair white and cut most of it off (not quite Kojack) The reaction was not immediate. My episode came to fruition about 5 months after my 3rd was born. She is definitely in the right place and with time, therapy (its necessary) nutrition, rest and possible medication (depends how severe) And Reading Brooke Sheilds book made it all clearer what I went through and that I wasn't alone. Good Luck Brit- I'll be praying for you

PUSSYCAT

BRITNEY, CAN DEAL WITH ALL THIS. ..CAN U ???

PUSSYCAT

BRITNEY, CAN HANDLE AND DEAL WITH ALL THIS. CAN U..?

gail

i'm very serious when i say this...Britney needs a neurological examination. Her inability to differentiate between what is socially acceptable and what is not is fastly deterioating...the brain is wired to regulate impulse control but Britneys seems to have lost the ability to filter this..her judgement is severly corrupted..and i don't believe this is a drug or alcohol problem....if the accounts of her frequently and often uncontrolable vomitting are valid..then perhaps it shouldn't be attributed to drinking and drugs but a neurological problem....post partum has similar symptoms..but this presents differently..get this girl help immeadiately.

Angel of Truth

Oh have the "Mighty" have fallen! Hope you like the taste of Karma because there's more on its way for what you did to Justin and Shar and unleashing your god awful singing onto the world!!! I wouldn't be surprised if k-fag gets custody of your kids, your just putting your lil boys on a silver platter for him. I hope to god this ruins your "singing" career for good and let the real talented singers get the spotlight!=)

Angel of Truth

Wait a minute? Britney claims she has PPD right?, so why does she have to go to rehab? I SMELL BULLSHIT!!! You have to talk to a counselor and be put on anti-depressants thats how its done right? If any woman had or has PPD please explain it to me cause I really don't see rehab helping with her "PPD"

Angel of Truth

Video of Britney!!!

lilpixie

How can any of you sit here and act as if you know what she is going through? Her lifestyle is something that you or I could never understand.

Previous 15 Comments | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26