"Lost" Diary -- Tricia Tanaka Is Dead

3/1/2007 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

I have come up with the theory that there are four times when I am super-mega excited for an episode of "Lost": a season premiere, a season finale, the week after a great episode and the week after a terrible one. So since last week's ep was such a dud, consider me super-mega excited for this week.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together. Let's roll:

10:00 -- Cheech is Lil' Hurley's dad, and apparently, he thinks you can fix cars just by wishing. He's been hanging around Chong too much if you ask me.

10:01 -- Lil' Hurley's dad sneaks him a candy bar. So of all the mysteries of "Lost," is this the episode where we learn why Hurley is fat? Food isn't love, little guy.

10:02 -- Odds Hurley is talking to Libby's grave?

10:03 -- Too easy.

10:04 -- Charlie is shaving on the beach. Gee, I hope he doesn't nick an artery ...

10:05 -- Hurley thinks he might be the reason that Charlie is going to die. Note to self: send Hurley some sausages as a thank you present.

10:06 -- Vincent returns holding an arm, which is holding a rabbit's foot and a key. That doesn't even make the top 20 list of weirdest things that have happened on this show. Hell, that's downright normal.

10:07 -- Did Hurley just find a car?

10:09 -- Tricia Tanaka is reporting on Hurley buying Mr. Cluck's, and the title of this episode is, "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead." Hmmm, I am not liking Tricia's chances here.

10:10 -- Actually, I don't like her chances of coming out of that chicken joint alive.

10:11 -- Poor Tricia, we hardly knew ya.

10:12 -- Hurley just found the van from "Little Miss Sunshine," except it's blue instead of yellow and instead of Greg Kinnear and Alan Arkin inside, it has dead Dharma workers .

10:13 -- Ugh, the new people. Why, J.J.? Why?

10:14 -- No one wants any part of Hurley and his blue van, except for Jin, who can't speak English. Even the stupid new people bailed.

10:15 -- At this point, if Sawyer and Kate are on screen -- and NOT having sex -- Lauren is disappointed. I can only assume she speaks for most women on this one.

10:16 -- Kate wants Sawyer to say he's sorry. Maybe it's just the guy in me, but I have no clue what he has to apologize for.

10:17 -- Kate and Sawyer arrive back at camp, congratulated by tons of people we've never seen before. Touching. Where are Rose and Bernard?

10:20 -- "Tricia Tanaka is dead." -- Hurley. Well said.

10:21 -- Hey dad, where you been the last 17 years? Oh, a fat joke? Thanks for that, pops. Good to see you.

10:22 -- "Dude, I suck at charades. You wanna what?" -- Hurley. Best line I have heard so far by someone who couldn't understand Jin.

10:23 -- "I have a right to know when I'm gonna die." -- Charlie. I have a right to know too, since I have that big party to plan when it happens. Yes, you're all invited -- but it's BYOB.

10:24 -- Alright, don't tell anyone this, but the Sawyer-Hurley-Jin reunion choked me up just a bit.

10:25 -- Ok, Kate is telling Sayid that Jack said he told Sawyer and her not to come back, because he sacrificed himself so they could escape. That's bull. I am telling you: Jack doesn't want them to mess with his "going home" and he doesn't want to face them again because he'll feel guilty. Now is probably the time to tell you I am almost never right with any theory I have about "Lost." Just thought you should know.

10:26 -- How much of this season has been spent watching one person explain something that already happened -- and that we already knew -- to someone else?

10:27 -- Kate is going for help. Rousseau, anyone?

10:30 -- Hurley looks really happy that his dad is home.

10:31 -- When Hurley's mom says "Hugo" like "Hoogo," I kinda giggle a bit every time. New rule: whenever Hurley's mom is around, I will refer to him as Hoogo. Starting ...

10:32 -- Now. Hoogo's mom wants some Cheech lovin'. Good for her.

10:33 -- "What's up with all this recycling?" -- Sawyer. Hmmm, lines like that usually aren't said for no reason.

10:34 -- Take your bets, will the car start? I am going with a resounding no.

10:35 -- The correct answer was "not even close." We would have also excepted "absolutely not." Thanks for playing.

10:36 -- Did Sawyer just "cheers" with that guy's skull?

10:39 -- I hate being awakened in the morning, but being awakened by Cheech would be a welcome change of pace.

10:40 -- Odds the psychic predicts doom and danger in Hurley's future? I am going with hells yes, and done so with terrible over-acting.

10:41 -- The correct answer was darkness and tragedy, mixed in with a stupid curse-removal ritual, which was all fake because Hurley's dad is a scumbag.

10:43 -- "Let's look death in the face and say, 'Whatever, man.'" -- Hurley. William Wallace, he ain't.

10:44 -- Sawyer shouldn't be teaching anyone English.

10:45 -- And Hurley shouldn't try insulting people. Redneck man? Weak.

10:46 -- Ok, seriously -- now "Lost" really has turned into "Little Miss Sunshine." Hurley is Greg Kinnear (the over-positive one), Sawyer is Alan Arkin (the wiseass) and Jin is the son who doesn't speak.

10:50 -- So what are the odds Charlie volunteers to drive the car down the hill? I say yes, followed by some stupid speech about cheating death. Followed by him succeeding and not dying. Followed by me hurling expletives at the TV.

10:51 -- Charlie volunteers to ride shotgun. 0 for 1.

10:52 -- "Victory or death." -- Charlie. Kinda cheesy speech. 1 for 2.

10:53 -- Hurley is closing his eyes and repeating, "There is no curse. You make your own luck." If you were wondering the exact moment this episode lost me, this is it.

10:54 -- Car starts, Charlie doesn't die. 2 for 3.

10:55 -- Sawyer and Jin jump into the car, kinda like they do in "Little Miss Sunshine."

10:56 -- "F&^@_!*$@#^!)&!!@!$!" -- me. 3 for 4.

10:58 -- What the hell was Sayid talking about with the light hitting Mr. Eko's stick and leading them to the Others? Did I black out when that happened? One last prediction: Kate tells Rousseau about Alex.

10:59 -- Too easy.

Okay, so what did we learn this week? Everyone on this show has daddy issues ... Hurley wasn't always fat ... When we're not looking, Sayid and Locke use Eko's Jesus stick as an Others compass.

After last week's debacle, I was looking forward to a return to form. Did I get it? Let's just say I will be typing that sentence again next week. This episode was almost as bad as the week before. But it did give me the gift of Hoogo, so I will give it a D+. Nothing happened, our story didn't move forward, and the flashbacks didn't reveal anything interesting.

But now an even more important issue has been raised; I used to never watch promos for "Lost" -- I either left the room or covered my ears and closed my eyes when they came on. I never want to know anything that is going to happen the following week. But to make myself more educated on all things "Lost," I started watching them.

You know what? They don't tell you s**t. In fact, they lie to you completely. Last week was about the three mysteries. This week was something about "If you don't watch, you won't know what everyone is talking about the next day." Hey ABC, you know what I'm talking about today? How much your promos suck!!!

So here is the question of the week: I am going back to avoiding all commercials and promos like the plague. Are you with me?

See you next week.

Jewels

I thought the episode was great! I don't understand why there are so many Charlie haters. I think his character is great. The one I can't stand and wish would die is Claire. It seems like all she has done the past three seasons is whine "my baby, my baby". Of course Nikki and Paulo need to die too. Terrible characters and terrible acting!!!!!!

Shriller

Screw the promos - they only give me false hope. I agree this week's did not further the storyline at all, but I did like the banter between Sawyer, Hugo, and Jin. What I couldn't believe is when Kate said she was going after Jack and the general response was an "OK - see ya later!" I'm sitting there wondering if anyone was going to go with her.
BTW - I was totally lost on the Ecko stick thing too.

Keep up the diary - LOVE IT!

Jeff

I told my wife that if this episode sucked that I was for once and for all going to give up on the show.
Well... It sucked but the mild humor was amusing and Hoogo is so very loveable. So I guess I have to watch next week because the promo told me so.

stef

Oh I finally LIKED this episode! I did incorrectly think that Hurley would actually see Libby=guess I don't know squat either. I liked this episode SO much better than the Desmond episode 2 weeks ago. Regardless, it's time to move things along at a quicker pace and start showing us some good stuff. Although I will tell you, the second Vincent the dog dies, I'm DONE with that show for good.-Stef

goldie

Gotta love Hurley, Dude...the most creative and amusing part of the show lately is Sawyer's continuous nickname game - Hurley a/k/a Snuffy and Charlie a/k/a Jiminy Cricket!!! Hysterical and apropos.

I agree that Lost has become more predictable and soap-operaesque, especially the whole Kate/Sawyer love-hate relationship. I think that LOST viewers were intrigued by the intelligent suspense and clever screenwriting of the first season, but it's probable that the show will lose many of its faithful followers due to boredom and the preference to get to sleep early to replenish the precious brain cells we've been losing during this season.

Wasn't it the writers, appearing on the DVD of Season 1 or 2, who promised the reasoning behind the story wouldn't disappoint us? If this season is any indication, I am skeptical, but I'll continue to watch while I'm doing other things around the house. Oh, yeah, and Sayid is HOT!!! Until next week!

jen

I agree with you!!!
Lost is my fav show, but these last two episodes have been disappointing!!! Did they run out of ideas.....well, I did see the previews for next week's show, it looks good, but im really not getting my hopes up, cuz all the other previews have LIED! They need to get back to the old days (season 1 & 2) where every episode progressed the storyline and kept us on our toes!

sarah

I like the most of you, thought the episode was fantastic and refreshing. It is nice to see the turnaround in Hurley and was fantastic to see boys being boys. It also might be a clue into the whole mystery of the island. If Hurley's numbers are cursed and they are in direct corralation to the island, then Hurley finally breaking the pattern might glean hope for the rest of them. Does that make sense? Hurley hope=Island hope.

Krista Liles

You nailed it: "D+"
Everyone's going on & on about how funny it was. The whole van thing was ridiculous & lame (it would have play better if it had been more recently wrecked...but then again, it would've been rather stank thanks to Roger.)
It screamed "feel good" epidode. barf

Some dude

Hey,

I'm in agreement with many, that ep while not rising to the expectations that the promo suggested, (not by a long shot) was still a refreshing change from the doom & gloom.

When they got the pos running, and the tunes came on, which was the same song that was playing on the radio when young skinny Hurley was chatting with papa Cheech (start of episode) I found my arms raised like Hiro Nakamura "I did it!" And it was awesome to see the next shot was Jin, also with arms raised in excitement.

"What everyone was talking about?" not a chance. A nice, fun, ep? You betcha!

The light thing off of Eko's stick was lost to me as well, "lost"....hmm.
But LEST WE FORGET that pos was FULL of Dharma paperwork!!!!!!
I have no doubt that while the ep doesn’t reach the heights of some, sure, it will nevertheless, be one that if you missed it, you wont have a fn clue about what will surely come of it.

Sam

Dude, just say the word if you want to know when Charlie's going to die. I'm sure it'll happen before the end of the season, and I'm certain it'll be during his next flashback. Gotta plan that party, right?

For those who are leaving comments and complaining about nothing happening, just give it time. I read every spoiler, and major stuff is about to happen. You just have to stick with it. Have a little faith. Oh, and stop comparing it to "Heroes", mmkay? Thanks.

This episode, for me, gets a B-. Sure it didn't move the story along, but it provided much needed comic relief. There were some fun moments here.

Keep up the great work with "Lost" Diary. Don't know what I'd do without it the day after every episode.

michy

I think this episode was a welcome change to all the downers and confusing misdirection laid down in the promos! And yeah, the whole "finding a car with a dead guy and beer in the middle of an island" thing was far-fetched, it didn't really stray that far from the Lost formula. Likely it will be forgotten and never mentioned again, like the bear, the fog, the horse, etc... It was simply a plot deviced used to show something about Hurley's character.

I enjoyed it, especially the "return of Sawyer." He had some classic lines, but I felt like he missed a couple of good ones. I was waiting for him to call the van, "The Mystery Machine" and for him to refer to Hurley and Charlie as "Thelma and Louise!"

And yeah, I'll probably stick around for the promos just so I will know what NOT to expect the following week.

erin

And I was just wondering what happened to Vincent...

I sometimes smile when I watch the episodes because if I didn't know that these episodes were already filmed ages ago, I would think that the writers were reading the Lost Diary for tips. I'll be watching and them am like...hey we just talked about that!

And I think that because the writiers freaked out and were like: we can't have an entire show based on an island with a cast of 10 (or whatever) and keep people watching (even though that's what happened the first season and it is still the best one) so they decided to over populate the show with new character after new character we do not have enough time for seeing some of the oldies but the goodies (like rose)--or character development which was so strong during season one. Too bad,but I still love the show and will hope for the best!

margaret

Did anyone else see the white mist above Hurley's head when he was chasing Vincent and the arm? If you slo-mo through the mist you see a skull. Check it out!

nellnee

1/ Wouldn't the tires be completely flat if the van has been laying there for 20 years?
2/ and wouldn't the battery be completely dead?
3/ and the gas have evaporated?

Just the fact that the van started at all annoyed the hell out of me. I will believe that Locke can walk, that Ecko's brother's plane was on the island, that a bird said Hurley's name, and that nanobots run the place, but not that the van would start.

'Bout time someone put two and two together and figured out that Alex is the french chick's daughter.

The map in the van will lead them to all of the other stations/the Other's suburb if placed with Locke's drawing of the blast door map.

What did Sawyer call Charlie that was awful close to Hobbit?

Touche? Hilarious. Skeletor? LOL. "Those pants don't make you look fat?" ROTFLMAO

What the hell is Sawyer supposed to be apologizing for?

Oh yeah, the Ecko stick. Forgot all about that over the THREE MONTH BREAK!

Karen

Sawyer is frickin hilarious. Especially Jiminy Cricket. Crickets can be easily squashed, can't they? Yes, I know Charlie is just a character and it's nothing against the actor. Just take Charlie away already! I would ask the others to do it but they don't want him either!

And did they think we forgot that Vincent was on the boat with Michael and Walt? Hmm...

Why aren't people interested in what happened to Kate and Sawyer? And does no one care about rescuing Jack? He's their leader and everything.

And show more of Sayid, already! He's one of the most interesting characters.

And what purpose do the new people serve?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments