Gay Slur Gets "Grey's" Goof an Image Award

3/5/2007 2:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Isaiah WashingtonIsaiah Washington won an acting award this weekend, and no, it wasn't for his half-assed apology for using the "f-word."

The loose-lipped "Grey's Anatomy" doc, who recently left gay-slur rehab, took home Best Actor in a Television Drama at the 38th Annual NAACP Image Awards. What an image, indeed!

With Isaiah receiving this questionable honor, perhaps there's hope that Michael Richards will get a GLAAD Award ... but don't count on it.

Dan

It's comical at this point, after reading all of these ignorant and obscene comments, made by people who claim to be "adults"; to think that anyone has offered a valid position on the issue from any moral standpoint.

You condemn a man for using a derogatory term for homosexuals, that's fine... but then you turn around and use another derogatory term regarding his race? That makes you absolutely no better than him, for those of you who think it does!

Droppin' Knowledge

#35 First of all, I don't defend IW's comments. I think anyone who makes those comments is an ignorant person. However, to say how would it look if a white politician were to join the white caucus is even more ignorant. ANYONE who knows their history knows that many white politicians have had back ties to the KKK (which you coyly chose to not even mention) and even used segregation on their ticket. No shame there, eh? Today, they feel the same way, they just don't come right out and say it. The KKK and the NAACP are no where near the same type of organizations. The KKK has a legacy of violence, death, and horrific acts against blacks. The NAACP doesn't have a history of violence against whites and they don't promote BLACK SUPREMCY as the KKK or SKINHEADS do. They promote equality and fairness, so that the things that happened to blacks in the 50's and 60's WILL not be forgotten and won't be allowed to happen again. If things had been fair for blacks all along, there wouldn't be a need for the NAACP in the first place, and you know it. As far as the Image Awards go, to say that they only honor blacks, well, that's a falacy. If you had watched the show, you'd see that they honored BONO who, last time I checked is white. They also gave image awards to people of other ethnic backgrounds whom have created a positive image either on SCREEN or in LIFE. In IW's case, on screen he plays a medical doctor which IS a positive image and that's important. Nobody says anything about Paris Hilton continuing to grace the cover of every possible magazine in America although she's been exposed as a racist so many times it's crazy. She hasn't apologized and if anyone should be taking sensitivity training or going to "rehab" it ought to be her. Yet she continues to be praised as if she's come kind of goddess...

Let's not get it twisted people, being black isn't the same as being gay, so stop comparing the two. I'm black and I can't hide that (not that I would want to) but gay people don't HAVE to come out, nobody can dislike you if they don't know what you are. You know I'm black no matter what I do. And there are people in this world who don't like me merely because of the color of my skin without even taking the time to get to know me. If I were a gay person, I'd have a choice as to whether or not I'd choose to let people know I'm gay. And if I decided to let people know, I'd also understand that I've chosen at that point to allow myself to be vunerable to criticism, ridicule and bigotry (not saying it's right) but it's true. As a black person, there is no "don't ask, don't tell" policy. You clearly can see what I am, it is what it is. Just food for thought...

Droppin' Knowledge

While everyone's getting their tights in a twist, has anyone taken the time to realize that these shows are planned sooo far in advance and that awards may have been decided possibly even before the comments that IW made were even a thought inside his head? Timing was wrong, and I don't think that maybe he should have gotten it, but, he is a fine actor and his image as a doctor on that show is larger than life because it is such a popular show which is why he probably was chosen. Outside of the subject on IW, this awards show was designed to give people of other ethnic backgrounds a chance to celebrate what they consider to be great shows, artists, actors and people. Let's face it, in the mainstream, good sitcoms like Girlfriends and Everybody Hates Chris are overlooked. Friends and Seinfeld were great shows but so were Living Single and Martin, yet mainstream America hardly noticed them. These artists deserve a platform to be told that they are doing a great job and that there is a place for them. Why is it ok to ignore them or to say that it is racist? It isn't...

Droppin' Knowledge

#93 White people weren't excluded. There were whites invited some of whom obviously didn't come. However, there were whites in the audience who thought it was important to be there as a show of support and who felt that blacks and others of different ethnic backgrounds should be recognized. AGAIN, BONO who is WHITE was highly recognized for the work that he has done in an effort to combat issues of poverty and equality. At that show, EVERYONE...black, white, hispanic, asian-- were standing in the audience side by side and shoulder to shoulder and applauded as he and others were recognized for their work. People who didn't watch this show or past shows to get a clue as to what it's about and stands for shouldn't even be posting on this blog. Once again, I'm going to explain that the need for THIS particular awards show is there because although some blacks are honored for certain movies, roles, or shows, still the overwhelming majority of the categories and people to be nominated and actually win, are...not black. Many of the most popular shows or movies that are nominated on the mainstream awards shows have huge casts that may only include one black...if at all. And even if there is one, they are in a supporting role which hurts their chances on being noticed in the first place. Why do people act as if they don't really see that black people and people of other ethnic backgrounds are grossly under represented in America? Why must some (not all) whites act as if they feel EVERYTHING should be about them? Hasn't it always been throughout history? And then when it isn't...they throw a fit about it? If white people hadn't made it a policy in the past of excluding anyone who is non-white, there wouldn't be a need to have shows like this in the first place. Now that there is one, people want to complain about it? Too little, too late!

Jeana

#93 - As a matter of fact, the NAACP has given awards to white people for their volunteer and charitable work. Now, as far as the acting, music, and literature awards are concerned, only minorities (black, hispanic, asian, etc.) have been given awards. The main reason for this is because as far as acting is concerned, it is difficult for minorities to get recognized for their work. It wasn't until very recently that the Oscars and Golden Globes began to nominate more minorities.

And let's face it, it is still extremely hard for minorities to get leading roles in movies and on television. As far as movies are concerned, you'll still see black men mainly hired for the role of the pimp, felon, abusive husband, or cop (usually crooked cop unless Morgan Freeman is playing the role). If you ever flip through daytime tv, you won't see many non-white faces. If you flip through nighttime tv, you won't see many non-white faces unless you're watching the CW or Telemundo.

Jeana

It's funny how no one has responded to the earlier comment about Roman Polanski. That man is a child molester, child rapist, and fugitive; and yet, he's won numerous times at Cannes and the Academy Awards. Why is it okay for him to win awards?

Amazing

All of you who want to go into an institution because of a word you said - just move to Russia right now. You don't seem to understand that we have a right to be prejudiced, bigoted, say unkind words, be ignorant, whatever. If you don't like it, don't support what they are putting out for sale, such as movies, music, etc. Stop trying to change my country into the Soviet Union. We are getting there soon enough thanks to people who don't understand what freedom is.

Droppin' Knowledge

#104 THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! You know what you're talking about. Many people make comments on here just to see their words in a blog. Most of them have no clue as to what the show is about because they'd never watch it. The title and commercial alone are enough that most people in the white community would never tune it in. I would encourage any white person to watch this show or any show of this nature because it would dispel any thoughts that they may have about it being racist or negative to race relations. Also, the comments about "ebonics" cracks me up! I've been writing on this blog for a while now, and I don't speak so called "ebonics". So what's it called when white people speak broken english? When I'm out and about, some of the worst english that I've ever heard being spoken doesn't always come from the mouths of blacks. Lack of proper education in the english language happens in ALL races! Stop with the labels and stereotypes people! Those are the things that promote racism...not image awards shows and organizations like the NAACP that are intended to combat it.

Miranda

I'm happy he won. He is a really good actor. Really the only reason to watch "Grey's Anatomy".

Droppin' Knowledge

#105, I get what you're saying, but come on! What should we teach our children...that just because we can say/do something that we know is wrong, that we should do it just because it feels good? Or should we teach them that in America although we do have freedom to do or say certain things that just because we can, we shouldn't. Allowing them to think that it is fine to get on National television or any other form of media and spout off things that are inflammatory to any group of people that are also citizens of this great nation is acceptable is wrong. There are a lot of things that I CAN do/say but just because I can, doesn't mean I will. People still need to have self control...no matter what. Get a grip!

Droppin' Knowledge

Jan #108 The word Ni**er is a word that means ignorant person...now in all fairness, since YOU like to use the word so loosely and truly believe that I, as a black person, should be as offended as you want me to be, what exactly do you think that makes you? LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO--let's see if she can figure out what I just said.

Amazing

#107 Renee. I have a very firm grip. What I am saying is that you may not always be the one to decide what is considered right or wrong. When I see black people calling for resignations or firings of people who say things they don't like, I see the same thing coming back on them when THEY say things other people don't like. And when it happens, they are the most shocked people in the world. Blacks are used to being 'protected' against some of the racist things they say. If you are black, you know that blacks are some of the most racist people on the planet, but they are not used to having to resign or get fired for it. That is changing. However, you are right to teach your children discipline and courtesy, as I did mine. I would never insult or slur any person or group. But I don't want there to be a law against it or a sentence to a "re-education" center. It may be wrong, but it shouldn't be a crime. I hope I am being more clear.

Droppin' Knowledge

New plan Stan: I don't support IW for his comments, however; he is just a small representative of the black race. I'd like to consider myself a representative of a more dignified, educated and socially aware race of black people. Not all blacks are biggoted just as not all whites are. You're generalizing. When 2 black people (IW and Tim Hardaway) made ignorant comments it seemed like ALL white people now had an excuse to start this "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" attitude. These are JUST 2 people who screwed up and said something that we ALL know is wrong, no matter the race. I can't be made to "pay" for the comments they made. The whole black race shouldn't be made to feel responsible for their homophobic comments. Just as you don't want to or expect to be held accountable for Paris' or Michael Richards' racist rantings. Did you or I say those things? No! But even now, you still never hear of black people being on tv or caught on tape calling whites racial slurs. There are lots of words that black people can say racially against whites, but are they so easily thrown around like the word Ni**er is by whites? NOT AT ALL! Words are one thing...actions; however, are another. Let me ask any of you this--What group of people started racism in America in the first place? And now that racism is out of control, people want to know "how did this happen?" Now that the tide is turning and many black people are just plain fed up with being treated like crap now and in the past; many white people want to go back to the only thing they know, calling black people racist names and trying to oppress our ideas, creativity, and visions of what our race can accomplish and contribute to the whole HUMAN RACE. (Example: saying that there shouldn't be shows or organizations that fight for equality and recognizes those who have accomplished greatness despite having to face such great adversity and despair) Even if the general public doesn't recognize our accomplishments when they honor everyone else; we won't deny our people anymore. White society has always done this! We are here and we aren't going anywhere--this is our country too. We certainly built it! As long as we are quiet and just appreciate the fact that we have some of the rights that our ancestors fought for, then everyone's happy right? Yea, right! Maybe if people had considered what the outcome of all their greed and total lack of understanding for basic human rights would have been, they may have done something different. It's too late now, because, as they say, "The toothpaste's out of the tube." While I may have my thoughts about how things are in America, I certainly am not a racist, and I, like many other blacks are just aware of America's history and where we--as black people--fit into that history--and from where I stand, until recent times, our place in it hasn't looked good...

king

Amy come and get some...

Take your sheet off and write something new..actually get a life. (Go push papers at your "law firm",,lol)

king

Jan,,

Hi my racist little incompetent shit wipe. Funny your calling someone racist when you are racist. A racist sorry excuse for a person. How about you go crawl back into your corner.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments