Gay Slur Gets "Grey's" Goof an Image Award

3/5/2007 2:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Isaiah WashingtonIsaiah Washington won an acting award this weekend, and no, it wasn't for his half-assed apology for using the "f-word."

The loose-lipped "Grey's Anatomy" doc, who recently left gay-slur rehab, took home Best Actor in a Television Drama at the 38th Annual NAACP Image Awards. What an image, indeed!

With Isaiah receiving this questionable honor, perhaps there's hope that Michael Richards will get a GLAAD Award ... but don't count on it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Gina

Is it so much to ask that we all just get along? I think that there are components in all races and orientations that benefit from all of the separation and segregation, from having individual groups and organizations..
If we all spent our time and energy , as the human race, and worked toward mutually beneficial goals, how great would that be? Let's call each other on the things that we do that are wrong, no matter which race, gender, or sexual preference, and let's work toward inclusion, instead of splintering into separate groups defending our turf.
Some of the comments on this board are appalling.

Tmz.com is racists......

Before you people start complaining why blacks have their own awards show why don't learn why before making stupid and ignorant comments. Blacks were not being recognized for their work in movies or music for years. If we were they would not have been making a big thing about denzel washington and haley berry winning an oscar. Race would be a non issue. Too bad these days things are getting worse. It is the same amount of racism today as it was back in the early 1900's. It is just more sneaky and concealed these days. All of of those making racists comments on here or anywhere else, why don't you go into a black community and repeat your remarks. You wouldn't because all of you are too much of a pussy to do so. Whites are the minority when you count everyone around the world. You are outnumbered. Keep it up because people can only take so much.

Amazing

#113 Renee. I agree with all that you said, and I am black. But I try to be fair in my thinking. I was in the civil rights movement along with Carmichael and Barry in Mississippi, and I appreciate your passion. We are not going to be able to use the double standard very much longer - it's wearing out. When I see the Bobby Browns and P-Diddys, I wish I hadn't done anything to push them ahead. We are losing our dignity, trying to be the same as whites when they do wrong things. That is not a good plan.

TMZ, are you lying?

I am really horrified by the comments posted. "It's just not acceptable for brothas to be gay..." Uuuh, are you even Black? How would you know? I ask because I am both Black and Gay, and I'm not on the down-low. Acceptable or not, you are what you are and there's nothing to be done to change that. Coretta Scott King, MLK's wife, has publicly come out and supported gays and equal rights for all, and she was Black AND straight, so you're jumping to conclusions based on a stereotype.
"Eddie Murphy deserved that Oscar..." Uuuh, what are you talking about? Nobody is even thinking of that fool, and really, why bring him up? He made quite a few "fag" jokes in his older stand-up routines while wearing a skin-tight purple leather get-up, and then he went on to mingle with transexual sex-workers. When he didn't win the Oscar he stormed out like a big baby, just like he did to Scary Spice. Yeah, let's exhalt him as a great Black actor. Sorry, but I'm not interested.
"Bill Cosby...rapist..." Did I miss something? When was the trial? Oh, I get it, you're just on the inside track because you were there.
Look, I don't appreciate Isaiah's stupidity. I think he's haggard and irritating too. I don't understand why a civil rights group would reward a hate-monger, I also don't understand why so many people feel the need to type racist rants on these sites. I...just...don't understand a lot I guess.

Tmz.com is racists......

Once and for all is really a dumbass. You idiot there are a higher percentage of whites who are on welfare you dipwad. Go down to your local welfare office with your mama because I have seen her there with you and your 5 sisters and 4 brothers each with a different daddy. Why don't you take your european ass back to your country and let's give the land back to the indians which your ancestors stole. If you go back there your mother will have to pick up being a hoe again. I think it is legal there so she will not have to worry about jail. I am making a comment to #119 once and for all. That person is a idiot. Know your facts first. By the way your mama says hi. She got all of you booked to be on jerry springer.

neeter

JEEZUSSS YOU ARE ALL SO SAD. I'M OVER THIS SITE. WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS! WAKE UP!!!!!

neeter

Mr. Washington is in fact a gr8 actor. TOO BAD HE'S SUCH A BIGOTTED, IGNORANT AHOLE WHO'S SO INSECURE AND JEALOUS OF PATRICK DEMPSEY THAT HE NEEDS TO CALL NEEDLESS ATTENTION TO HIMSELF INSTEAD OF JUST SHUTTING HIS IGNORANT MOUTH! has anyone even thought about the fact that maybe he thinks he's latently homosexual himself and it scares him? DUH

Liz

Although I don't think you can "cure" homophobia, you can cure ignorance. I think in Isaiah's case (the fact that he repeated the term in defending himself, etc.) shows that he's ignorant (or possibly, really really stupid), not gay-hating. I don't think it can be fixed by a stay in therapy, though I'm not familiar with such programs. He (or ABC) took steps to remedy it and it's commendable that he's trying to right his wrongs, even if it's just to save his career. The point is that it made people think about his actions and maybe next time they're upset, they will find more intelligent ways to express it than using the f-word.

Liz

Also, just FYI: if you' look at hyphenated-Americans, all are overall homophobic. I am a combination of two groups and both loudly denounce homosexuality though they are generally non-violent in their opposition.

Karen

Let's see. Isaiah used a gay slur. Micheal Richards used a racist slur. HUGE difference.

Liz

HE GOT THE AWARD BECAUSE HE'S BLACK. AND CURRENTLY IN THE NEWS. I CANT SEE WHY BLACK ORGANIZATIONS ARE ALLOWED TO EXIST WE CANT HAVE WHITE ORGANIZATIONS. THEY DONT WANT EQUALITY THEY WANT MORE.

Lynne W. Breece

If another organization of similar clout and prestige had given an award to a white man who had just recently been exposed for using the "N" word the African American community would have been in an uproar. I appreciate the fact that Mr. Washington apologized, I just think that the timing of giving Mr. Washington this award demonstrated a lack of sensitivity and respect for the struggle of another oppressed group. I am not gay but I am African Americam woman so I do know what it feels like to be victimized by bigotry and intolerance. Fortunately, unlike some African American I am able to see and feel beyond my own nose..

Hollywood's a Hazard

Intolerance like the type displayed by Mr. Washington advances no one. Still its time to move on.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6