Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab

3/8/2007 7:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Eddie Van HalenThe long awaited Van Halen reunion tour will be even longer-awaited -- Eddie Van Halen has checked himself into alcohol-related rehab.

In a statement to TMZ, the rock legend explains why he's determined to clean up his act:

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
Ed

Eddie was scheduled to join the rest of his bandmates at the Rock and Roll induction ceremony in New York on Monday, where Van Halen will be enshrined. But unlike Lindsay and Britney, Eddie will not be leaving rehab for field trips.

Jeff

Yes, Eddie still smokes as of the 2007 NAMM show in January...like a chimney. He's a damn fool.

In 2004 when I saw them at Staples, every time he lit up a cigarette on stage (a good 5-10 times), the crowd booed him. Eddie Van Halen booed at his own show because he survived tongue cancer, continued to smoke - not only in public, in front of his kid when Wolfie came out onstage! I saw a lot of disturbed faces that night even though he played great (one of the only decent shows of the tour from what I've read).

I wish Eddie the best of luck. He needs it.

I love when I read people say 'Good luck getting sober Ed, the smoking we can handle, but get well!', what that translates to is "You can keep killing yourself so long as we're able to see you onstage in a functional state". Sad, sad, sad.

Dude is over 50 and a cancer survivor. He says smoking didn't cause his tongue cancer, but its sad and foolish to keep smoking even if its true. If the drinking was gonna do him in within a year, the smokes will within five years. He can do whatever he wants obviously, but I hope he kicks both...for his and his family's sake.

Drugs are drugs, kids. Cigarettes are a dangerous and lethal drug even though lots of people like to pretend they're not since they're legal and come in a cute box. Let's hope "sober" means "sober" for Eddie.

Metaldiva

This is one of rock's elite and creator of the "riffs that launched a thousand rock and roll dreams". Fans appreciate his virtuosity and hope that he is successful in rehab.
Metaldiva Sez:
Eddie,
NO ONE CAN ADEQUATELY EXPRESS HOW MUCH HAPPINESS YOU HAVE GIVEN TO PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD. Congrats on the RRHOF induction but getting Wolfgangs father better (yourself) is more important than anything....Get better and know all the good will and hopeful wishes of your fans are with you..

Alan

Get a clue! WHO CARES!!!!! a reunited band wont save anything. get help and let it GO!!!
Saty home and cut your lawn.

JLT

I wish him the best but the timing doesnt surprise me. E! Online reported before this that the tour was "iffy" and now with the RnR induction it's a good excuse for not appearing. Alex wont show "in a show of support" for Eddie and DLR isnt going in protest for not being allowed to sing (Velvet Revolver will play instead). The only ones supposedly going are Sammy and Michael - the other half.

Oh and for those wondering if this is a recent pic of him, it is. I saw a series of 4 from earlier this week on Yahoo and he was smiling in one - nothing but brown teeth and missing some on the bottom front. You'd think with his money he could afford crowns or dentures. Even Keith Richards got his teeth fixed. C'mon Ed.

judgingotherssux

One of THe kings of ten fingers.......If the stones can handle rock and roll...The ED man can too....Wish you could hear how great you were on thise killer boots of 78 Vh...You guys blew Sabbeth off the stage.>Magical...simply Ass kickin...

me

I loved Van Halen.

But, the picture of Eddie on CNN and FOX news website was sooooo sad to look at. He looked like a bum and it looks as if he is missing teeth. He looked like hell.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

Did he ever divorce Valerie ? I wonder how old and how his son Wolfgang is doing.

me

I just saw a pic of Wolfgang on a blog on here. He looks just like his dad. I only hope he doesn't end up like him.

me

Regarding the teeth...maybe that is one of the reasons he needs to go on tour again, to get some new caps or something. Unless he's drowning in debt, there's no excuse to have nasty looking teeth,being a performer.

I wish him the best.

Loreno

Wasn't it announced that Eddie Van Halen died of liver desease? And what about his funeral? Whos in the gave if it isn't Eddie Van Halen? There was alot of coverage on tv on his death, who the hell is this imposter? And whats the big idea? Next you'll see Elvis in concert!

skinnyminny2006

Eddie Van Halen did not die of liver disease, there was no coverage on tv whatsoever of this. I think maybe you need to slow down on whatever substances you are taking, Lee. Ed is in rehab, alive and well and hopefully for his sake he'll get the treatment he needs and this time the rehab will stick.

James Limborg

Good for you Eddie... I support you! You are the BEST!

Nevets

H.O.W. 's Van Halo?

Nevets

How's Van Halo? #65 I was at VH/Sabbath in San Antonio. It was DRL's b-day. He poured 2 bottles of champagne over his cowboy hat at the same time. Black Sabbath had an equipment outage but I remember being rite in front of Toni Iommi. My cousin has some great pics of DRL. I was in the back for VH. Back in the day.

Nevets

Where have all the good times gone . . . into A.A. meetings. If you were having fun drinking you probably weren't partying hard enough because alcoholism is a death sentence. I remember sitting in my car with an ice chest--isolation because I couln't afford drinks inside the bar so I would pay the cover and keep going outside to drink alone. What fun. Waking up where's my car which I lost a few times and is there flesh and dents on the car. Sometimes it was wrecked or drove funny. I was a regular at the junk yard. More fun. Fear. Blackouts like sleeping yet you're awake--you're blind. Handcuffs and ankle shackles--more fun. being in a cell which u can only stand up in. I was at a river parade familylike rite, and sipping cheap whiskey rite out of the bottle out in the open, people probably thought what a psycho. Sticking syringes in my arm coz I was to drunk to say no. Sober now

Nevets

I got more. stealing booze hey mr clerk man don't even think about stopping me. Wet beds impotence at 17 come on puking un and under employment Oh ya drinking is fun Just say , I haven't gotten that bad. . .YET Christmas on probation ankle monitors license suspensions visiting pros--quick in and outs, and I was lucky

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments