Eddie Van Halen Checks Into Rehab

3/8/2007 7:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Eddie Van HalenThe long awaited Van Halen reunion tour will be even longer-awaited -- Eddie Van Halen has checked himself into alcohol-related rehab.

In a statement to TMZ, the rock legend explains why he's determined to clean up his act:

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
Ed

Eddie was scheduled to join the rest of his bandmates at the Rock and Roll induction ceremony in New York on Monday, where Van Halen will be enshrined. But unlike Lindsay and Britney, Eddie will not be leaving rehab for field trips.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

nape

Shocker bra! No way. Eddie likes to party?

nape

Shocker bra! Eddie likes to drink?

Nevets

Eddie, are you ever so silent . . .know something to be true then deny WAKE UP GETTIN SOBER IS EASY DRINKING IS HARD Fuckhead guitar hack

Scott

Good luck and godspeed...If I can do it you can toooooo!!!!!!

David Weber

Eddie gave us much for a long time. We need to remember that we all have issues. I live on a farm in between Houston and Austin and have property in a very remote section of Big Bend, Texas. If Eddie needs to calm himself, he is always welcome to come stay at my farm for a while or go to my cabin in Big Bend. Texas is good therapy. All he really needs is our support right now. All things are possible...... Trust me on this, he will be back..and he will be better.

Chris Magnus

It's highly unlikely Eddie reads the TMZ comments section but just in case he does...

Good Luck Eddie! You're a guitar legend, and Van Halen is one of the best groups of all time. Don't listen to these assbags with nothing positive to say. There's millions of us rooting for you!

Sharon

Love Ya Eddie,,, Get better

Lace Love

I'm proud. It takes balls, and by the way I would wait a lifetime and LONGER for a Van Halen concert! ...lace...

Lace Love

Good Luck to him! I am so proud! It takes a lotta balls to do something like that. And by the way, I would wait a lifetime and LONGER for a Van Halen concert. I know you won't dissapoint! Me and a bud already have plans to go!!!

Warren

Ed,

I've idolized you for the last 20 years. God bless you and take care. I'm an alcoholic too and I totally understand what you're going through. Beat it for me though! I saw you in 1984 (and then some), and my life hasn't been the same since!

Bobbyjimi

Eddie get healthy mentally dude!!! I am the same age as you and know the future will be the best to come!!!

Bobbyjimi

ltr

Mr. Van Halen -

Best Wishes to You. I think it's great your seeing a problem, and doing something about it. There is surely no time limit to solve your life, so take your time and know, that your true fans will always be there waiting for you.

Rock On Chief!

LT.

Paris Hater's Live Sad, Dull & Pathetic Lives

Ah, that's so sweet: Eddie still has his first pair of boots that he ever bought for himself! Does he still have the first empty beer can or whiskey bottle he ever bought and drank for himself too? Eddie get over yourself and your jealousy for DLR. It was David, Eddie , Alex, and Michael that made Van Halen one of the best rock and roll bands of all time. The success VH had with Sammy was due in large part to Sammy already being a recognized solo artist. So, you have a well known solo artist coupled with a well known rock band, and of course your going to have success -- that's a no brainer. And then...VH became Van Hagar. The Van Halen band I know and love consists of David, Eddie, Alex and Michael! One last thing: I truly believe that VH would never have reached the height of success without DLR fronting the band. And that's that!

kristine

man all of you NEED to STFU!!!!!! quiting hating on the man! hes the best and oy uknow it! its better than what yall lazy fatasses are doing with your pathetic lives! he has amounted to everything all of you wanted. so once agian STFU!

katy

Eddie, I know you dont remember me but I traveled with your roadies back in 78 when you were on tour. the best days of my life, you are a guitar wonder and a sweet person, we all have our demonds, I pray youll get better, ps quit smokin.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6