Regis -- Bypassed by Docs, Bathed by Kelly?

3/12/2007 2:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin is going under the knife this week for bypass surgery, and looks like he'll have the services of a preternaturally perky nurse -- his co-host Kelly Ripa -- should he want them.

Philbin announced on this morning's "Live with Regis and Kelly" that he's going to have heart bypass surgery after experiencing shortness of breath and chest pains. His preferred mode of treatment was angioplasty -- "Bang, bang, bang, they blow it open," as he described it -- but doctors insisted on the more invasive bypass.

Kelly obligingly offered her, er, assistance: "My primary job will be, like it or not, get your pills ready -- your sponge-bath nurse." To which Reege very quickly replied, "Why don't you give me a quick dip before I go?"

Philbin says he'll be away from the show for five weeks. No word on whether Clay Aiken will fill in for the peppy talkmaster.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

He's Boring now

Thats a bit shocking. I thought he led a very clean and active life, dieting, exercise, etc. Maybe age and heredity have more of an impact than I thought. Unless he's been sneaking high fat snacks all along.... Good Luck Reg.

Gavin

She could give me a sponge bath, if...and ONLY if, she kept her big mouth shut during it.

Ava

Gosh, I wont be watching that annoying woman for the 5 weeks Regis is off. Regis IS that show! Good luck Reege.

HerpesHilton

Good luck, Regis! Maybe David Letterman can give you some tips on what to expect.

A. Kramer

Wishing Regis all the best, he will be missed, Kelly will do an excellent job while he is away, but I enjoy seeing the tow of them together. Maybe Mark can fill in as I do enjoy Kelly and Mark. Will Joy be calling in an letting all of us know just how Regis is doing/ Hope so....

Michael

class act, I hope he makes it back soon

Sean Bresnahan

Yes, Regis is a class act. Always upbeat and enthusiastic,and a very funny man... it is always a pleasure to share tv-time with him. Best wishes and happy recovery, Reege!

joanne

good luck Regis

Vanessa

You are a class act Reege, we are going to miss you, Good Luck & hope you have a speedy recovery.

Ava----I agree with you, I'm not watching the show if he isn't going to be there.
Kelly never shut's up, and is constantly getting into his personal space.
(Watch him when she leans over too far toward's him, he always backs away to his right).

got2bkidn

Regis is a class act. The show just isn't the same without him. I wish him all the luck in the world. Get back soon! God Bless.

Maddy

Awww. I love Regis and hope he gets back fast before the show tanks. There is no way I will tune in to hear Kelly Ripa talk incessantly about herself.

Lucy Brown

I dearly love Regis and will miss him. I'm sure he'll be back in better shape than before.
I'm certain both Letterman and Larry King will talk to him about the surgery.
Kelly will do a good job and hopefully will get some decent co-hosts.

eddie

Love you, Reeg. Get well VERY quick.

I, also, will not be watching while he's gone. Maybe if enough of us don't ABC will finally get the message that Kelly has outlived her perkiness. Actually, I haven't watched the show since Kelly pulled her crap over Clay Aiken. What a disappointment she's turned out to be.

I'd rather watch Joy host the show with Regis. They are truely a "fun couple."

Roslyn Branch

I wish him all the best. I like Kelly, but she does need to let the guest co-hosts talk more!!!

Ida

Oh, good luck to Regis--I hate to hear he's having health problems. I love Regis and Kelly. I think they are great together, and I love the Faith and Hope Show. Kelly is a great little actress and cute as a button.

Again, Good Luck, Regis--you're the man!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments