Garrison Keillor:

A Prairie Homophobic Companion?

3/14/2007 3:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Garrison KeillorTaking a page from the Ann Coulter Handbook, alleged humorist and "A Prairie Home Companion" radio host Garrison Keillor has made some queer comments about homosexuals and gay parents.

In an article titled "Stating the Obvious" in salon.com, the Minnesota author wrote, "The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men -- sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts." Apparently, Keillor's research consisted entirely of watching a Netflix copy of "The Birdcage" and reruns of "Queer Eye."

The droll lamenter also whined about how "... gay marriage will produce a whole new string of hyphenated relatives ... and I suppose we'll get used to it." Keillor then rambled on about the joys of growing up in a "mixed-gender marriage" during a time when, "Everyone had a yard, a garage, a female mom, a male dad, and a refrigerator with leftover boiled potatoes in plastic lids." Go to your room, Beav.

Older and Wiser

Anybody who knows anything about Garrison Keillor would know he was just trying to be funny. Dry humor is his schtick. Don't get your knickers in a knot about this TMZ!

Jeez, you'd think queers were only allowed to poke fun at themselves...

El Barto

Please, this is typical Keillor dry humor which he has done for years and years, in his books and on the radio. He's a liberal but grew up in fundamentalist church and loves poking fun at self-righteous right-wingers. Do NOT put him in the same category as Ann Coultier.

TROLL SMASHERS

I mean, what's gonna be next MEN WANTING TO MARRY DOGS, CATS, ZOO ANIMALS???

Maddy

I am constantly amazed at how interested most of you seem to be when it comes to the sex lives of others. I wonder who has the bigger problem?

Mrs. Robinson,

Mr. Keillor is 100% correct and ha also has a keen sence of humor, very funny and accurate. I'm sorry that some gays don't like it, but i'm sure some other gays think he is funny and totally on the money. He is as good vitth words as gays are with decorations, was that a bad thing to say? Hihi.

Taylor

Tell the truth TMZ.....every intern you have is a member of GLAAD, right? Your stance is so slanted. Who cares what this guy said (though I think it was humor and not his actually opinion) or anyone of the other guys you bash. Gay people need to understand that while it is your right to live any way you choose it is not your right to strong arm everyone into believing you are right (or moral) in your life choices. Why do gays think they have the right to tell anyone else what to think or say?

t time

Jen = pure white trash! People like you create hate and it just shows how un-educated you are. Step on back to your trailer and get off the community computer at the local YMCA, SKANK!

Gabrielle

Who is this fruitcake to tell anyone how they are "supposed" to live? BEWARE anyone telling you or others how to live your life, as they are the true evil.

E.J.

To think that all this time I thought TMZ could see through their own bullshit and tell the difference between humor and homophobia. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Garrison Keillor's comments don't strike me as offensive: they strike me as a humorous and potent swipe at stereotypical homosexuals as portrayed in the media.

Whose fault is this? It's not Garrison Keillor's fault that the only homosexuals we see on television and in film are camped-up caricatures that represent a one-dimensional picture of gay life. I feel sorry for the millions of adolescents who would love to come out only to find that their kindred spirits are people with whom they share nothing in common.

I know it, Garrison Keillor knows it, and you son of a bitches should know it, too. Everything gay between WeHo and the West Village isn't some gloryhole or drag bar. Figure it out and kill this story, it's neither gossip nor news.

NativeVT

If he really feels this way then 'more power to ya' Garrison. I applaud people who have the guts to say how they feel. Most won't - they just nod along with everyone else to be politically correct.
Where is it written that just because someone wants to announce to the world they are gay everyone is supposed to accept that? Everybody doesn't have to like everything all (or even part of) the time. It doesn't mean they hate the person it just means they don't like 'gay' for whatever reason. The minute someone doesn't jump on the 'queer bandwagon' they are labeled homophobic.
All this 'embrace diversity' crap makes me ill. I would never hurt another person physically about things but I don't have to like what they stand for or get close and chummy with them because it would be cool to pal with other races and orientations. My comments are not just geared to Garrison but all the others in the last several months that have taken the heat primarily because they are so-called stars. Isaiah, Mel, Richards, and so forth and so on.
These are the people who can most afford to stand up for themselves because they have money and jobs they won't lose. Most people who would like to say what they feel, can't, because they have to work in the world and get by.

Only in

CAUTION: YOU are in a no spin zone

TeamBirkhead!

It's not about anyone's sex life! i wouldn't know about a gay guy's sex life if he didn't wear his "I'M GAY" sign around his pink boa!
It starts to matter when flamboyant homosexuals take on children.
Children deserve a MOMMY and a DADDY who behave as such. Children shouldn't be exposed to what MOMMY and DADDY do in their beds.
Homosexuals can't seem to keep their sex lives to themselves. If they could, we wouldn;t be having this discussion.

t time

Why do any of you care about what is going on in other peoples bedrooms? I sure as hell do not want to know what is going on in some of yours, especially Jen and princes the ruler- I am sure you bring your dog and a jar of peanut butter into your bedrooms to get your kicks.

Jamie Micheals

This news of Trump slaming Vince Mc Mahon is boring.

I have been surfing trying to find some truth as to the validity of the Anna Nicole Smith Morgue Pictures . I found a new article on the BLOG at this address

Annon

Since when do you have to like the concept of a gay lifestyle to not be homophobic. I have many friends and business affiliates that are openly gay and I support them. Morally, I can never think that it is right and it would obviously never be for me but don't think that anybody should be descriminated against because of their sexuality. Does that make me homophobic? Does playing along with a stereotype make you a bigot - should I hate everybody who thinks I'm dumb because I'm blonde or should I just laugh knowing that I'm an executive...