Garrison Keillor:

A Prairie Homophobic Companion?

3/14/2007 3:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Garrison KeillorTaking a page from the Ann Coulter Handbook, alleged humorist and "A Prairie Home Companion" radio host Garrison Keillor has made some queer comments about homosexuals and gay parents.

In an article titled "Stating the Obvious" in salon.com, the Minnesota author wrote, "The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men -- sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts." Apparently, Keillor's research consisted entirely of watching a Netflix copy of "The Birdcage" and reruns of "Queer Eye."

The droll lamenter also whined about how "... gay marriage will produce a whole new string of hyphenated relatives ... and I suppose we'll get used to it." Keillor then rambled on about the joys of growing up in a "mixed-gender marriage" during a time when, "Everyone had a yard, a garage, a female mom, a male dad, and a refrigerator with leftover boiled potatoes in plastic lids." Go to your room, Beav.

mc

It's kind of ugly, and I don't even know where to start. I don't know a single gay person who fits this description. Keillor creates a stereotype, or borrows one from tv, and then states that gay men need to stop conforming to a false stereotype in order to be accepted.

Those of you who say it's just humor - look how much ugliness and hatred it's spurred on this site alone. Bigots are rising up to cheer him on.

Standards are badly needed.

We live in a time where, in the media at least, the minorities (the tail) seems to be
wagging the dog. (the rest of us.) If gay people represent 1 to 2 percent of
the general population, why is everyone constantly subjected to the gay agenda seemingly at a rate far highter than this 1 to 2 percent? Are heteros so bored that they quietly watch gay stuff as rubberneckers do to be fed something different, or perhaps simply to garner greater understanding? I'd go to a gay pride parade (although straight) to support some of their equal rights agendas, but am mortified at the dress code alone at these things, so don't want to be seen there. I think people should dress with dignity, and am not repressed, but believe sexuality is a private matter.
I think gays have equality concerns that need to be addressed, but realize that constantly stuffiing it down hetero's throats in a strident way rather than appealing to fairness, intelligence and common sense breeds backlash and resentment in the general community; moreso, in the powers that be who write the pension legislation or laws that could affact a gay partner's present & future. Women's lib went far left to achieve a pendulum swing closer to the middle, so perhaps that is what's happening here. Gays need to get to work either legislating or litigating until precedent is set and change comes about if they hope to improve their equality concerns. Perhaps this level of media exposure will bring about more acceptance; I see evidence that it already has. The U.S. is far behind the rest of the (democratized) world in these matters.

Elaine

I don't have any gay friends at the time that I know of, but have had many in my long life. I don't hate anybody, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion different than gay people do.

I do believe that homosexuality is a choice. If it is not, then based on biology alone, it is a birth defect.

TeamBirkhead!

Jane- you ignorant slut!

If you had the intellect that you tout, you'd know that Jesus existed whether you believe in his Godliness or not. He was no myth. He historically existed. Agnostics and atheists don't even deny that.
However, since you claim to be a woman of such genius- Please share with us all where we came from if not by God. Skip the who Darwin thing because even his theory needs God's help to jump start evolution.
C'mon... we all want to know Jane's take on the bigger picture :)

Just a thought

I don't think gays should be parents - a child needs a female mother & a male father - like God wanted. Gays should not have rights - they should have hormone treatment to correct their medical problems.

E.J.

Americans are nostalgic for a time that only exists in pictures and stories told by our grandparents. That time as a whole never existed, and even if parts of it did that time is not coming back. Lake Wobegon, A Prairie Home Companion and Garrison Keillor himself have created a universe built around this false nostalgia. It's there for your entertainment and to give you what it promises -- for your woes to be gone. In his false nostalgia, the things he talks about probably existed somewhere along the way.

But our acceptance of the stereotypical gay male as being the only version of the gay male which exists is a far greater fantasy than anything he could drum up. I agree with Paul Kline's comment and I hope people reading this will take it to heart.

If you think Keillor's comments ruminate homophobia, then by running stories like this one, you're just proliferating Garrison Keillors point for him. Go after some real homophobes already and bake us all some Powdermilk Biscuits on your way back to the kitchen.

JAKE

HE HAS VALID POINTS U KNOW...SOME GAY PEOPLE ARE REALLY ANNOYING..ITS OK TO BE GAY..ADOPT KIDS..WHATEVER..BUT PLS STOP BEING SO FLAMBOYANT..THAT'S WHAT IRRITATES A LOT OF PEOPLE...

Chris Magnus

Man is this dude ugly. I think he's secretly gay and is lashing out against the gay community because he's too ugly to land himself a hot stud.

bill

I am sorry to all the gay people i offended i'm actually a lesbian and i didn't mean it i am all for gay rights. I was just trying to get a rise out of people sorry.

bill

I just want to apologize once more for my rude behavior i'll probably do it again because i like getting a rise out of people but don't listen to any subsequent comments i may make I AM ALL FOR GAY RIGHTS

TROLL SMASHERS

all of my post lead to my blog - this obsessed fan #96 should go to my blog, copy the http: address and THEN post as me.

gosh that made my day though - imitation is the greatest form of flattery...

Just a thought

God Bless America is right on - gays should not have the same rights as straight married couples - the military knows it & the government knows it - that's the only thing holding the moral fiber of this country together right now.

tanya

It is almost wrong now to be straight and proud. Even in his sacasim, he is right. We, the typical nuclear family is a rare sight. And if we dare say it or mention it we're the evil ones..the biggots..the facists..the homophobics....
Gays much like most celebrity's need to get over themselfs, close that closet door and just live without cramming it down everyones throughts. and Everykid I knew raised by gay parents had HUGE issues, They got into a lot of fights, and were confused themselfs growing up. This one guy got disowned by his 2 moms cause he got a girlfriend. They wanted him to be gay. That is so Rosie O'Donnell...PS -from Toronto where Gay culture is stuffed down our throughts

Just a thought

Tom you stupid idoit - of course the kids come from straight sex & hopefully - it's done in the bedroom. Let's see a couple of gays produce a kid from sex - NOT - because it is NOT NORMAL. The human race would just die out if it were up to gays.

newsflash

Being competent to look after a child doesn't have much to do with a yard, a garage and boiled potatoes.

One of the few people I've left to look after my disabled son is a gay friend. He's very good with kids, and ultimately, I trust him to be responsible. I'd go a far as to say it is a shame he has decided not to adopt or foster children. He would do an excellent job.

".....Americans are nostalgic for a time that only exists in pictures and stories told by our grandparents. That time as a whole never existed.........."

I like that post. I'm not American, but it rings true from a European perspective. The post-war 50s housewife ideal served to get the postwar economy kick-started, but it doesn't work so well when economies would collapse if women removed themselves from the workplace.