Garrison Keillor:

A Prairie Homophobic Companion?

3/14/2007 3:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Garrison KeillorTaking a page from the Ann Coulter Handbook, alleged humorist and "A Prairie Home Companion" radio host Garrison Keillor has made some queer comments about homosexuals and gay parents.

In an article titled "Stating the Obvious" in salon.com, the Minnesota author wrote, "The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men -- sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts." Apparently, Keillor's research consisted entirely of watching a Netflix copy of "The Birdcage" and reruns of "Queer Eye."

The droll lamenter also whined about how "... gay marriage will produce a whole new string of hyphenated relatives ... and I suppose we'll get used to it." Keillor then rambled on about the joys of growing up in a "mixed-gender marriage" during a time when, "Everyone had a yard, a garage, a female mom, a male dad, and a refrigerator with leftover boiled potatoes in plastic lids." Go to your room, Beav.

Noelix

TMZ, get over your sensitivity. You ripped out a small portion of a very large article which talks about children. He's right to question gay parenting - after all it's a very new thing to our society. The viewpoint from which he writes is from the average American his age. Us younger folks are more accepting and understanding of the gay lifestyle. Don't ream Keillor over it.

red007

GK supports family values. He likes families so much he has been married three times. Read the article in SALON online.I am afraid GK has a lot of similarities to Woody Allen. Two nasty hypocrites parading as low key nice guys.

Luther Lackey

Last I checked, heterosexual sex got us ALL here!

Pete

You have got to be kidding me TMZ. I've read more offensive Blonde jokes. Lighten up people.

PINKY

For everyone who is clueless to this man's style of humor-

It's all tongue in cheek, you bo- bo's. You really think Salon.com of ALL places would endorse such a man? Think about it for a minute.....mmmmkay?

Whatever

Good grief, folks, didn't anybody READ the article that TMZ linked to? Half the problem with the media (and viewers) today is the sound-bite mentality. By quoting only the juicy parts, TMZ has completely changed the original article. Read it, think about it, then comment. Oh, sorry... what WAS I thinking? I forgot for a moment that TMZ's whole rationale is that the soundbite is the whole story.

Tommy

I don't even know what chartreuse pants are!

mikiejoe

He's a story teller and a darn fine one at that! Even without his typical dry humor I think he is right. When did the faggots get so damn many rights? You have the right to suck your buddy in the privacy of your own home and not want me to feel good about it, accept it, feel like you have rights for it, etc... It was Adam and Eve...not Adam and Steve...

Jen

Jane-
While I haven't read the book you mentioned, I think I understand the crux of it from what you've described. I think you're confusing "Christian" traditions with Christ himself.
Jesus the man existed, just like George Washington did, just like Constantine did and just like Gaius Julius Caesar did . The debate is if His actions as a man were miraculous and Godly. That is moot. Jesus the human being walked the Earth and only the far-out-fringe-left-wing-loony-conspiracy-theorists suggest that he (the man) is a myth. Jesus as a human that walked the Earth is a historical FACT.

It is also a historical fact that MANY "religious Christian traditions" are in fact Pagan.

Christianity was perverted by Constantine and has only morphed into bigger unquestioned, unChristian idolic practices. I'm a Christian, but I follow no organized religion because of this. The vast majority of Christians have no idea why they do the things they do- from hanging baubles on trees to parroting prayers dozens of times to the celebration of Easter during pagan fertile season to "worshipping" God on "SUN"day.
It all has pagan roots.
Christ, however, does not.
You'll find none of those practices in the Bible....not even the celebration of His birthday.

ps.. glad you "got" the SNL reference. it otherwise looked rather harsh ;)

Jen

The Expatriot

#15.: May I quote and totally agree..

"If any of you morons actually listened to the show itself; you would realize the satire and dry humor that accompanies all those "dont take life so damn seriously" wonderful stories."

Only in

I'm stuck in the closet,and I don't know who i am.

ROBIN

I have children of my own...and I am married to a MAN.....my children would be devestated if they were from a same sex marriage. It is just not right....get over your self righteous ways of being so liberal that you can't even see the moral issues and affects on the children.

You people need to open your BIBLES!

Only in

Genesis 9 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine,and knew what his younger son had done unto him. Strong words people,I hope you take a few moments and think about.

ROBIN

TO: JANE.......you are sooooooooooooooooooo ignorant!

Kater

TMZ! Hello! I don't know who does your editing, but you've COMPLETELY missed the point of this essay. Shame on you for branding this man, who's an honest-to-goodness Midwestern liberal, who stands for the "politics of kindness," as a bigot! If you're going to point fingers at bigots, why don't you find a real one? There are plenty of people out there who need to be called on their bullshit; you've wasted space here with Mr. Keillor. Boo, hiss!