J-Hud

And I'm Telling You,

I'm No Diva!

3/19/2007 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jennifer Hudson is firing back at recent media sniping that says she's a flake and an ingrate.

In an exclusive interview, she tells Jawn Murray of "The Tom Joyner Morning Show" that she's been "hurt" by the backlash since her Oscar triumph, especially allegations that she tried to ditch the "Soul Train Music Awards" and that she demeaned "American Idol" as a mere "stepping stone." Page Six reported last week that Hudson tried to back out of the "Soul Train " show, where she received an award. "Why would they dog me out after I was one of the only people to show up on the show?" asks Hudson.

And as for her calling "Idol" a stepping stone -- to which Simon Cowell made a pointed and sneering reference on a recent episode -- Hudson acknowledges that she did, but says, "I didn't mean it in a bad way ... 'American Idol' is a stepping stone because had it not been for them, no one would have known of a Jennifer Hudson to call to audition for 'Dreamgirls.'" Hudson adds that she's actually met this year's "Idol" contenders and taped a segment with them -- all at her own request.

Hudson is clearly learning that getting famous as meteorically as she has ain't no dream, girl: "It's like everything I say referring to the show gets twisted around and makes me look like I'm being arrogant and a diva."

Check out the full interview at the BV Buzz at AOL Black Voices.

Cindy K

There's a huge difference between being proud of your achievements and being a arrogant JM. Just for the record Cher has made more then one movie ... Mask, Silkwood to name a few more. I'm not a huge fan of Cher's but there is no comparison between Cher and Jennifer H ... perhaps in 20 years if Jennifer is still as recognizeable as Cher is then perhaps you can compare.

brownskin07

jennifer said on AOL that she hasnt changed a bit the awards hasnt went to her head she said you can ask the people that know her. she also said , she is a role model and everything thats being said about her is not true.. she is still trying to say she did nothing to warrant the backlash what a joke... she`s a role model alright of what not to do.. lol

susan

Then she should just keep her mouth shut instead of spewing stupid comments

Buttons

Right On CP! I tried to respond to these Jennifer-bashers on here a few times myself! It is so amazing to me that the tide has turned so quickly on this very talented lady. I haven't seen anything like this before in our media obsessed culture. Usually, we give the benefit of the doubt for a while (hello Britney) before turning on our stars, but this Hudson backlash was almost overnight! I actually fault TMZ for stoking the fires too! Seems to me that they have an agenda of their own. I agree with you about the sheep needing to do their research. I posted about the Barabara Walters special too! Oh well, guess people don't have the time to form their own opinions. They are just happy being force-fed the same old BS! I wonder how many actually clicked on the link and read the whole interview? Of course Idol is going to focus on the negative. The very premise of the show is to crush dreams for the amusement of millions. ROCK ON JENNIFER HUDSON! You don't need or deserve this crap! Love You I Do!

Karen

Jennifer Hudson is a huge talent. I like her. She's just young and learning how publicity works. Her advisors will train her how to respond to questions, so that her comments are not portrayed in a negative light. It's a tricky line to walk with fickle fans. Having said that, bad publicity is better than no publicity. It gets her name in the papers and creates controversy and gets people talking. Isn't that fun????

SMILEY

I AGREE #12, JHUD YOU SUCK I DONT CARE WHAT YOUVE WON OR OR DONE. START LOOKING FOR A BETTER WAY TO CHANGE OUR MINDS AND TRYING TO LOOK BETTER

Cindy K

CP - perhaps you should do some research before you post things and look like an even bigger idot then what you are calling people who frequent this site. Here is the information you are referring to when it comes to Simon being "bigger" then Bruce ....

ENTERTAINMENT - TOP STORY

Simon Cowell says he's bigger than The Boss.

Web Posted: 3/16/2007 9:02:04 AM

In an interview to air Sunday on C-B-S' 60 Minutes, the American Idol judge says he's worth five times more to Sony B-M-G than Bruce Springsteen. He says he sells more records than Bruce Springsteen.

Springsteen, the 57-year-old rocker, signed a contract that was reported to be in the neighbourhood of 100 (m) million dollars U-S. Cowell says he sells all those records because he's signed ``the biggest artist on the planet'' -- Fox network's American Idol.

He says ``Every single Idol winner is now signed through Sony B-M-G,'' adding that it applies to all the countries that Idol is sold to ``which is over 30 countries.'' Albums by American Idol winners and runners-up are
distributed by labels within the Sony B-M-G system

Also if you want to bitch about Jennifer being off the show while others that you feel weren't as worthy ... the public votes so it should be the public you are whining to. Also if it weren't for Jennifer being on American Idol, no one would have heard of or thought of her for the movie or do you think her fairy godmother would have gotten her the part?? Seems like you are the non-thinking, non-researching sheep that you are referring to in your post.

pauline

If Jennifer Hudson was white all these haters would be singing a different tune...Most Americans believe only white folks should acheive awards....I did not hear Simon ask Kelly Clarkson to thank AI....I did not hear people get on Kellys case for not thanking AI....
Simon should look in the mirror before he starts critizing people...He is rather ugly and unattractive....I am sick of seeing his fat behind of my TV

Cindy K

Sorry about my last post having that HUGE space in it, not sure what happened LOL :)

bill

This is a little off topic but to everyone who says oprah should build a school in inner city neighboorhoods why all those kids care about is shooting eachother playing basketball and rapping they don't care about education. Just look at how they speak EUBONIX (if thats even how you spell it) IS NOT A LANGUAGE its uneducated babble. Go oprah build more schools in africa educate them they will appreciate it

ama

This is a perfect example of building someone up just so you can tear them down. So what if she called the A.I. a stepping stone. Is it not? Simon cowell is the one who needs to get over himself. Idol is the highet rated show but it is still just a tv show. Placing 7th on a reality tv show and staring in $70 million movie are not on the same level and if she went through Idol to get to Dreamgirls then A.I. was just a stepping stone. If Idol was a huge factor in the selection for effie, then fantasia would have been effie since she won. After she left the show they never invited her back, they barely even mentioned her until she got buzz for the movie. Simon probably thinks being on idol is on the same level as winning an oscar. If simon thinks he is responsible for her then he should also take credit for the flops and others top 12 who did not make anything of themselves. Justin Guarini, Ryan Starr etc....

Kelly Clarkson didn't thank Idol when she won her Grammys, but they did not say she is arrogant. JHud shined in a different industry and she is the one who owes it all to idol and is not grateful.

The soul train thing, Gnarls Barkley, Beyonce and Mary J. Blige were not there. 8 of the 10 winners did not go. Its funny people don't mention that cos it makes jennifer seem more "arrogant".

CP

How is it that I look like an idiot. Is what I said untrue. He said he was bigger than the Bruce Springsteen....what is your issue. What is his point other than disparage Springsteen and make himself look important. That is what everyone on here is accusing Hudson of doing right? What's the difference? Please using your infinite wisdom tell me where I erred in what I said. He has a huge ego right? He basically implied that he dwarfs Springsteen right? That would be considered pompous in most circles right? So what is your issue? He said what he said to down someone as he often does and make himself look higher so I don't get your arguement. I knew where to find the article because I read it there was no need to take up space when all of you "geniuses " obviously have computers. LOL So back to what I was saying. If you found that so easily please go back and research the countless times J-HUD thanked Idol and shut the hell up about her being ungrateful.

SuperStarSteve

Note to Jennifer: Every black woman who makes it is somehow a "Diva". It's in the American mind that you must be some kind of bitch to be successful. Welcome to celebrity 101. The name of the course is "You're Dammed if you Do, and You're Dammed if you Don't".
Celebrity course #102 is "Acting Nice to People you Know Want to Use You".

CP

Susie

She ruined it for herself she got way to cocky!! This is why these awards should be given to people who have been in the business and have worked hard to get where they are. Jennifer remember where you came from!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments