Sanjaya: Bottoming Out?

3/19/2007 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sanjaya MalakarA source tells TMZ that 17-year-old "American Idol" contestant Sanjaya Malakar's cheery smile is simply a front ... and privately, the winsome teen is actually bumming.

A source close to Sanjaya's family revealed exclusively to TMZ that the darling hula-dancer has been devastated by recent bad press he's received over his not-so-precious singing. "He's so young and so sensitive, it's hard for him to go out on that stage and not have that devastation affect his performance," said the source.

Apparently, it's not just hard on Sanjy, but on his family as well; they are trying their best to just be a strong support system for the adorable teenager as he hulas his way through this sometimes surreal experience as one of the remaining 11 American Idols. It's unlikely that Sanjaya will have to endure it much longer. He was in the bottom two last week.

Angie

He SHOULD feel bad. MUCH better singers have gotten the boot and HE should be the one to have gone home a LONG time ago. 17 or not. He's just not a good singer. He's getting voted through because 12 year old girls around the country think it's a popularity contest.

I'm also not sure I even buy the story. He's always VERY cocky in interviews and after his performances.

Real Love

He's an awful singer, but he seems like a very sweet person. I feel really bad for him, especially being so young. I don't understand why the judges even put him through to the top 24. I'll give him this though ... for as bad as he's been, he still gave a better performance than Diana Ross last week!

Michelle

His behavior makes it hard to believe he is hurting about anything. He is young, and has a strong family support system--he'll be fine. But nothing changes the fact that HE CAN'T SING!!!! He needs to go. This is a singing competition.

DUH!!

He sucks!!

Dallas

He sucks anyways. Brandon should've stayed instead. Hope he gets sent home this week.

I'll take Howie

OH BOO HOO THIS KID CAN'T SING ANYWAYS I DON'T KNOW WHY HE IS STILL THERE?? ITS JUST LIKE ANTONELLA BARBA HE HAS A FAN CLUB WHO COULD CARE LESS IF CAN SING OR NOT I STOPED WATHCHING AFTER THE ANTONELLA OR DEAL ITS NOT FAIR AND I WILL NOT WATCH THE SHOW ANY MORE AND I WATCHED IT FOR A FEW YEARS THATS ENOUGH FOR ME

hot snot

it's a competition...if he can't take hearing the bad then he should remove himself.

Jon

He is not that bad of a singer. Give him a break. Why all of the hatred? If his singing makes people happy then it can't be that bad.

Mia

The parents are doing a dis-service to their child, by lying to him, and telling him he can do this, that he has a great singing voice, etc.

Support system is one thing, LYING to the child is quite another.

Sanjaya, give it up.........singing is NOT in your future! Find something that you can succeed at.....and go for it....

Votefortheworst.com...has sincerely made a mockery out of all that was good with American Idol. His is now their pin-up boy......that is how he's getting the votes, and well with 12 yr old girls who think he's "cute".

Monica

He's GAY he needs to come out the closet!!!

Kit Kat ^..^

If he is so bad than why did those fucking judges put him in the top 24 in the first place? I think all you people are wasting your energies on a stupid show thats obviously RIGGED. Think about it every year its the same thing. They put in some singers that cant sing. They advance. People get mad and start complaining (like you guys). Controversy grows. More ratings for them and more money for thier pockets. Its rigged I tell you!

tba

That's show biz and as Truman once said: "can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"

Meowch

I actually am beginning to feel sorry for the kid & he is just that ,a kid. Can't sing, but a kid none the less. People who are voting him through are just reacting to Simon's snarky remarks. After last show, he said something along the lines of- if Goombiya wins, he'll quit AI. All the Simon haters will now vote for the kid. Way to go, Simon.

Timer1010

What gay joke? Was it funny? I hope this kid stay on right thru to the end. I don't really care if he wins or not. I don't like him or dislike him. I do think he is gay but hasn't realized it yet and he does not sing very well. I just like to read the comments that are posted here. Most are very entertaining.

And just for the record, I stopped watching after the two girls with the best bodies were voted off.

A-yo Leroy!

i disagree with #1. I don't think sanjaya should feel bad. He's not voting for himself-America is. Maybe you should take things up with them.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments