Mel Goes Ballistic -- "Lady, F**k Off!"

3/23/2007 11:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Mel Gibson exploded in anger last night on a college campus after an expert on Mayan culture accussed him of racially stereotyping the Mayans in the movie "Apocalypto."

It happened last night at Cal State University at Northridge in the San Fernando Valley. Gibson was speaking to a film class about his movies, and several members of the Mayan community came to hear the famous director.

After Gibson's presentation, the crowd was allowed to ask questions. Alicia Estrada, an Assistant Professor of Central American Studies at CSUN, challenged Gibson, asking him if he had read about the Mayan culture before shooting the controversial film. Gibson said he had.

Estrada persisted, stating that representations in the movie that the Mayans engaged in sacrificial ceremonies and had bloodthirsty tendencies were both wrong and racist. Estrada and others tell TMZ that Gibson exploded in anger, responding, "Lady, F**k off."

We're told Gibson also became extremely angry when members of the Mayan community protested on how they were portrayed in the film. The emotional Mayan members were escorted out of the room, and we're told Gibson screamed a parting shot -- "Make your own movie!"

UPDATE: Gibson's publicist, Alan Nierob, told TMZ, "This person was a heckler who was rude and disrupted the event, so much so that the event organizers had to escort her out." For the record, Nierob, not Howard Rubenstein, reps Gibson.

Wow.

GO MEL!!! Those are the kind of people that are KEEPING racism alive today.

Matthew Dunnyveg

Whatever else racism may be, it is something immoral or disreputable. The fact is that Mel Gibson is right; the Mayans were a bunch of bloodthirsty savages, along with almost every other primitive group that has ever inhabited this planet. So, Mr. Gibson is charged with being a racist for telling a truth that some find unpleasant. Doesn't it concern anybody else that telling the truth is now considered to be immoral? Should we be allowing people whose hearts and posteriors belong elsewhere to be telling Americans what they are allowed to think and say in their own country?

Go, Mel, Go!

Matthew Dunnyveg

Whatever else racism may be, it is something immoral or disreputable. The fact is that Mel Gibson is right; the Mayans were a bunch of bloodthirsty savages, along with almost every other primitive group that has ever inhabited this planet. So, Mr. Gibson is charged with being a racist for telling a truth that some find unpleasant. Doesn't it concern anybody else that telling the truth is now considered to be immoral? Should we be permitting people whose hearts and posteriors belong elsewhere to be telling Americans what they are allowed to think and say in their own country?

Go, Mel, Go!

Zoe Tate

People show us who they are ... all we have to do is pay attention ...

Dan

Poltical correctness at its worst, How dare he say somethting thatis not glowing and positive from all aspects

SUN

I think in this country you have a rught to express yourself artistically any way you want. The movie is not stated as fact. I thought the movie was very graphic, but could I say realistic? I dont know because I have not studied the mayan culture. I thought it was slanted a little to show them to be a vey canabalistic culture. That bothered me. I am sure the culture was, and therfore has some basis for such a graphic movie. I do however wish Mel would have shown a softer, little bit mor positive side to the people. I am sure they did more then cut off one anothers heads and roll then down the pyramid steps. The only impression I left with was that they were a very divided group of people who were only interested in taking one anothers land and heads.

For this reason, I can understand why the Mayan people are up-set. But remember Mel is a movie producer, not a professor. The movie was done very well. I dont think all the facts were included, but we have to realize it was just a movie.

Maybe the mayan people could throw a few documentaries out there so we can learn the real truth of there people. I have yeat to see one, and I would be very interested in watching one.

non-liberal

If he was a liberal everyone would defend him.

Grimmy

If anything, his movie was too soft on them - the true horror of their practices was not shown. For example, it was not just prisoners who were sacrificed, but the children of their upper class. The ceremony involved wearing the skins of the victims, and eating their flesh, activities in which the whole society was complicit.

And the last scene does not necessarily contrast their brutality with the "peacefulness" of the white man, but can be seen as both a compliment and a dig on his own religion - a compliment as far as the theoretical basis for universal human rights and compassion, and a dig as far as their practitioners frequent failure to live up to this standard. But then again this is the human condition, and the theoretical basis gave us the only notion of universal human rights that is coherent.

Kevin

I love Mel....sometimes exposing the truth hurts...

Jason P

Mel should see this: Go Mel!

Mike

Some of you media fed fools really crack me up. All you know about Gibson is what the media spoon feeds you, and one of you imbeciles wants him killed! Get a clue....

Fred Flintstone

Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the rock!

pat

LEAVE HIM ALONE HE OWES NO BODY ANYTHING! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE HIS MOVIES OR HIM KEEP YOUR ASS AT HOME. HE DOES NOT NEED YOU OR YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!

Dre

It's a friggin movie. Get over it. Just like the Iranians don't like how the Persians were depicted in 300. "Oh my god a movie hurt my feelings, I'm gonna go cry in the media about it cuz I am such a sissy. Everyone is racists but me boo hoo hoo". ITS A FRIGGIN MOVIE! I'm sorry but my parents taught me not to belive everything that I see on TV or movies. It's supposed to be a STORY! It doesn't mean it is accurate! God I am so sick of these bleeding heart people. Somebody is always gonna be offended by something, that doesn't mean that everyone is "racist". I am so sick of everyone pulling the race card. Ignorant.

dutch

Mayans did engage in ritual sacrifice. Only now the PC liberal academics are re-writing history and anyone who tells the truth is heckled and shouted down. He was right to tell them off.