Was Griffin's Crash a Hoax?

3/27/2007 6:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comTMZ is just askin' ... what's wrong with this picture?

Eddie Griffin's ultra-expensive crash in a $1.5 million Ferrari Enzo has been all over television and the Internet today, but could the pricey wipeout really be a brilliant marketing ploy?

In the video obtained by CBS2 News in Los Angeles, it shows the car slamming into a concrete barricade. But, to quote Dr. Henry Lee from the O.J. Simpson case, "Something wrong."

Roll the video and take a close look at the guy standing next to the concrete barrier. He doesn't even flinch as the car comes near. Also, it's pretty interesting that after the crash, Griffin joked it up, saying, "Undercover Brother's good at karate and all the rest of that, but the brother can't drive."

This isn't the first time that one of Daniel Sadek's high-priced cars have been wrecked. During production of his movie, "Redline," two of the producer/real estate investor's expensive Porsche Carrera GTs were totaled during filming. One of the collisions was designed as a stunt. The other was an accident.

UPDATE:
Eddie Griffin's publicist, Lori Jonas, told TMZ, "It was not a hoax. Eddie was racing for a charity to promote his upcoming film, "Redline." He got in an accident. He is suffering from neck and shoulder pain as a result of the accident. It was in no way a hoax."

lana

i dont think it was a hoax, i did chuckle when i first noticed that the camera guy didnt even attempt to duck out of the way or nothing

cleveland1

damn EDDIE GRIFFIN, my husband just asked could he have another pork chop? it is dinner time around here? anyway, why was this dumb ass driving this car at this event? what was the event about?? somebody please answer me!!!

Please!

Watch the video from a different angle and the man actually DOES jump back (CNN) , and he IS a photographer taking pictures - he was NOT photoshopped in - do some homework before you point fingers people. Oh, and for the record, (Steven - post #1) I seriously doubt the color of his skin has anything to do with his lack of driving abilities - just like the color of yours has nothing to do with your lack of an IQ.

Lonnie

The crash is real. It was a rehearsal for a charity racing event. Afterwards, Eddie Griffin looked shook up and concerned... and who wouldn't be after crashing a $1.5 M car. Anyway, the car belongs to Daniel Sadek, the executive producer of "Redline" to premiere in April. In it, two Porsche Carerra GTs were crashed, one on purpose and one on accident. In addition to the Enzo, Sadek also owns two McLaren SLRs, and at least one Murcielagos (he may own another Murcielago, though it looks like a Diablo in the clip).

Also, the person behind the divider was looking through a camera and did not have time to react. If you've seen how fast these cars go, you will know that many times the reaction time is not fast enough to be caught on film if the camera is following the car (like here).

Please!

Wow, Post #12 "Hater" apparently shares brain cell with post #1 "Steven"

TMZ is dumb

Watch the same video that is shown at CNN and you will see the guy clearly jump back. TMZ needs to learn to review all the camera angles.

caveman

I believe the next 3 seconds of video would dispel the hoax crap, nice try tmz, stick to boring us with the fatblondenobodycaresaboutOD newsflash.

elliott cowand

No Hoax!!!

I am the cameraman in the picture. It happened too fast to react to. I also thought there was little chance of the car clearing the "K rail".

Still not convinced? See my point of view footage of the head on crash- airing today on Inside Edition, E! News and The Daily 10

Elliott Cowand

Michael

I think Eddie Griffin would have to wreck an entire delearship before I would know who he was if I tripped over him.

tba

This definitely WAS NOT a hoax. If you look at another angle of the crash, the gentleman holding the camera did seem surprised and backed away in surprise. TMZ is trying to create buzz and see if loonies surface to the top

KYJurisDoctor

I showed my little 12 year old the crash this afternoon and she asked me if it was for REAL. With a frown on my face, I asked her why she would think that. She told me the driver came out laughing. All I could say to myself was "DUH" (Homer Simpson, style)!

Visit: http://OsiSpeaks.com or http://OsiSpeaks.org

cnc

The news is saying the car is a total loss. Untrue.. If you remember the enzo that was split in half on the california highway and that whole cover up, that car could have been put back together for a mere $300,000.00. So if I had to guess hoax only because there is not that much damage to the vehicle.

Gina

WHAT'S THE POINT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
WHO IS HE????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
DO I CARE ??????????????NO!

he flinches

Actually the guy does flinch... theres another angle of the crash on youtube and you see the guy move back quickly. And I made sure, it is the same guy.

Heywood j Blowme

WATCH THE VIDEO THAT ISNT CROPPED FOR SENSATIONALISM THE GUY BEHIND THE WALL STAINED HIS UNDERWEAR. LMAO @ THEY ADDED THAT GUY TO THE VIDEO AND IT LOOKS LIKE A REMOTE CONTROL CAR...... CAN WE SAY DEE DEEEE DEEEEEEEEE!!!