Sligh: I Didn't Want to Win "Idol" Anyway

3/30/2007 8:51 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A Sligh-tly sore loser, are we?

Mop-topped "American Idol" hopeful Chris Sligh, who just got the axe on Wednesday, now says he thought about quitting the show after getting excoriated for his maverick arrangement of "Endless Love," and that he really just stayed in to get paid as one of the Top Ten, who will go on tour this summer.

In an interview with his hometown paper, the Greenville, S.C. News, Sligh says he never really wanted to be the American Idol. "I never came into this wanting to win it. I made the Top Ten. That was my goal," says the big-haired Sligh, who many observers pointed out bears a striking resemblance to "The Simpsons'" Sideshow Bob.

But when he was told that he wouldn't be able to go on tour with the Top Ten if he pulled out, Sligh grudgingly stayed in, getting his final walking papers two weeks later.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Christian rocker

I love Sligh's voice he has unique sound rather than copy-cat vocals. Not everyone is Idol material, but they can still move their career forward through American Idol- nothing wrong with that!! I support Cris in his love of using his voice to support himself financially - use what God gave you-Cris! I am sad to hear Bob Jones University is still so strict in their rules - that stinks? ....my question is what is wrong with the group 4Him? Their songs are sound Christian doctrine! I would really appreciate an explanation (from a University spokesperson) why would Cris get kicked out for that? When did going to a Christian music concert become a sin? Or explain the reason for the rule- Go Cris!!! You are a star now! And your church is going to love having you around! Especially now!!! You did them proud!!

ontour

I voted for him and I liked him, just because he was realistic about winning doesn't mean he didn't want to win! his hopes was to at least get to the final 10, I think he done very well for what he done. I will add that different songs would have made a big difference in this show.

To all the parents that let their children vote for sanjay: How can you just let them encourage a young boy in a fashion that will in the end crush his image. Your childs actions show how you raised the future of America, to lie, I think our country is better than that, I for one would not let my child hurt another in this way. At least I'm honest!!!!!!

missy

Making a song your own, and slaughtering it are two very different things. If you ever heard the original "Endless Love" you would have cringed at Chris' version. You're supposed to make it different, NOT DISASTROUS!!!!!!

Mary Worth

USA Today had an article that started, "In a twist that only Simon Cowell could see coming..."
NOT SO! I saw several predictions from various sources. And there probably were numerous others that I wasn't privy to!

gobluedad

Don't believe everything you read. What Chris said was "making the top 10 was his goal." After that it was to make top 6 and so on. His comments were taken completly out of context. And he was not surprised to go home. He made a bet with Phil that he would leave that night. After the beating the judges gave him he knew he would not walk away from it.

Del

Homeboy really, really needs to go on a diet.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5