No Talent, No Problem for Sanjaya

4/1/2007 4:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sanjaya MalakarJust because "American Idol" contestant Sanjaya Malakar isn't the strongest singer on the show, it doesn't mean he won't have a career ... so says a music insider to TMZ.

Stuart Meyer is an A&R rep for Sub Pop Records -- home to early Nirvana and The Shins, and just happens to be based in Sanjaya's hometown, Seattle. Meyer says that actually being able to sing is just one quality a pop star needs to have. "He has a charm about him that is key to being a pop star," Meyer says. "Some of the biggest pop stars, like Madonna and Britney, aren't exactly the best singers." Word.

Meyer added that he thinks Sanjaya has "a bright future ahead," saying, "I'm sure someone will sign him, he has personality."

No matter what you think of Sanjaya's so-called voice, Meyer says he does have a leg-up on a lot of other pop stars. "You have to give him credit for getting out there and singing live; a lot of the biggest pop stars out there today rarely do that." Um, Ashlee Simpson anyone?

Bangy

I hear Sanjaya's back smells like bleach....

theresa

to#'s 72, 73, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 83, 84, 89: you are all sad, pathetic souls! how old are you? what grade level did you reach in school before you were expelled for stupidity? did your wonderful mothers teach you how to hate? i can only hope you all get the therapy you so desperately need! sanjaya is a contestant on a show, put there by the judges and kept there by the voters. if you must spew venom direct it towards the judges and howard stern and votefortheworst.com, not sanjaya! your hateful comments are keeping sanjaya on the show because they make people feel sorry for him and vote for him!! you all are very immature and need professional help!!! it's a tv show. relax. if you don't like it then please don't watch it! leave sanjaya alone! enough is enough! cowards!!!!!! go away!!!!

PJ

Sanjaya is a slighty attractive and untalented kid who believes his own press. Why? Because he is a teenager!! ...they live in a FANTASY world with all their other friends...

No one under 18 should be competing! otherwise this is what you get---
Ten year old girls getting a crush on a little boy.
and then all their friends vote continously for two hours. I don't know how Ryan can keep from throwing up. But I guess the producers figure it helps the ratings. Uh, NO!
I notice that votes are down from last year.

Sanjaya is not sinking AI alone, ya know---It takes dumb Americans to vote for him (word to the unwise---he cannot sing).
Help me out here---I thought this was a "SINGING" competition ---not a hair show---
I agree with you, Simon--if a no-talent wins the million dollar award --Stop the show. It will be time. Nothing lasts forever.

And everyone who has been voted off this year had no real talent anyway. The only talented one is the backup singer.
The black chubby girl is getting good press but I doubt she will win---altho she has a good voice. But she is too much like Hudson.

cat-aholic

When I heard Sanjaya first sing in Hollywood, there was something about him that fascinated me. I wondered why? While listening to his voice, I thought of Michael Jackson. Sanjaya has the potential to be a "clean" Michael Jackson-type pop singer.

Now, wait. Hold the laughter. He just may surprise you.

carol ard

If he does not GO this week I am done with watching this show as it is all a laughable hoax!

angel46

This guy is so cute and charming! The teen girls will love him!!!

AngelG.1

I feel you are "spot on" #90 , I also felt a little MJ at the try outs, but as far as judging his sexual thang his silly and mean and has nothing to do with singing talent _ which , by the way, is really really bad, but think about the Debbie Gibson or others of her kind, they have a good package with looks and a great way with the photos , signing for the public etc. Ok we get it , teen girls will vote for AI and are going to win this kid after all.

Or he could be like William Hung, and I dont think I have seen ANYONE with no talent make so much.

I am going to give this kid a break, his 15 Minutes will be over soon, or he will become a super star.

Peace and Love : )

terri

Seriously, even if he were to get a record deal, who would actually buy his CD's and really listen to them!!!!!!!! I know I wouldn't....!!!!

terri

Chris Sligh should still be on the show, instead of Sanjaya... Chris is a much better singer..!!!

Toni

MAYBE NEXT YEAR AMERICAN IDOL/ FOX WILL CONSIDER USING THE SAME IDEA " GREASE YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT" DID IN REGUARDS TO THEIR VOTING TECHNIQUE. ALLOW AMERICA TO VOTE FOR BOTTOM 2 THEN ALLOW THE JUDGES TO SAVE ONE.THEN WE WONT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS BS ANYMORE.

Judy

Sanjaya is a nice kid but he reminds me of another Michael Jackson. Do the world a favor & get him out now.

juliette paskowitz

ENOUGH ALREADY.
LETS VOTE FOR THE GOOD SINGERS SO WE CAN BE OVER THAT MISERABLE KID. I CAN'T BELIEVE WE HAVE TO WATCH THIS.... LETS VOTE HIM OFF.
IT'S THAT EASY

harry

when he is on i go get my cup of coffee. don't want to throw up my supper.

Deanna

Sanjaya is not ugly but he isn't as talented as many of the others who have already been eliminated. He is being used by the people who are making a sham of American Idol. This is wrong!! If he becomes the next Idol, I believe the American system has failed again. This is a talent contest~~not a personality contest and NOT a joke. I am also a grandma. I grew up when REAL talent was appreciated and I still want to feel that is the name of the game~talent. You people who are tone deaf~watch something else!! Don't continue to make American Idol a joke. If one of the better singers is eliminated again this week and Sanjaya stays, I don't believe I'll continue to watch the show or buy tickets for their tour.
I WANT TO SEE THE REAL TALENT STAY ON THE SHOW!!

perfectlittleangle

To # 15 it doesnt matter the color of a persons skin that is not what makes them ugly or beautiful its your attitude and the way you act and thats why you are Butt Ugly your attitude stinks. You are just jealous because you are not on that stage. Granted Sanjaya is not one of the contestants that I like but there is no need to bash the kid into the ground. Besides if you don't like him just don't vote for him it is America keeping him in the show. So please get a life. And how dare you wish him to drop dead. You better watch what you wish on people it could come back to bite you in the butt and haunt you for the rest of your life.