"Christmas Story" Director Killed in L.A. Car Crash

4/4/2007 4:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bob ClarkBob Clark, director of "A Christmas Story" and a producer of the "Porky's" films, was killed today on California's famed Pacific Coast Highway when his car was hit head-on by an SUV driven by a man who was later arrested for being under the influence of alcohol.

Clark's son, 22-year-old Ariel Hanrath-Clark, was riding with his father and was also killed in the crash.

TMZ has learned that police arrested 24-year-old Hector Velazquez-Nava, the driver of the SUV, on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter, and that Velazquez-Nava will be booked once he is released from the hospital. We're told that Velazques-Nava had a female passenger whose status is unknown at this time.

According to police, the Clarks were riding in a silver Infiniti around 2.30 AM Wednesday on PCH in Pacific Palisades. The Infiniti was badly damaged in the crash, and the SUV's front end was mangled.

U.S.C.

They should make it a law that if you are caught driving drunk, you will be in prision for at least 25 years. Then lets see who would be dumb enough to get behind the wheel to take a chance.

fay

Put that drunken driver and murderer under the jail and never let him see the light of day again.

Ronda in St Louis

Well why were Bob and his son out at 2:30 am? Were they drinking before they were driving? "Nothing GOOD happens after midnight."

sassypoch

Wow, that's really sad. I hope the man who did it really pays for this. Drinking and driving just seems to be accepted these days. I mean, look at Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. It gets blown off and their pictures are still taken and they are still worshiped by many. People need to be punished for this kind of thing.

tba

If you are responsible for an accident that either hurts or kills someone while DUI, there should be mandatory hard time. There should be no ifs, ands or buts. Go to friggin jail.

SUN

When are we going to hold some of these alcohol companies liable for putting a product out there that addicts people? How come we can sue the cigarette companies, but not them. There are by far more fatalities from alcohol, then weed, or any other drug.

I know a woman and her two kids who were all killed two summers ago by a drunk driver. She was sitting in a lane getting ready to turn into her sons dentist office when a man (caucasian) slammed into the back of her little car. It sent her 8 year old flying about 20 feet and he lived for 4 mins on the street. The mom and her other son died on impact.

The guy did get life in prison, but the husband is all alone now.

S

You should NOT be allowed to sue cigarrette companies, Gun Makers or fast food restaurants, or Alcohol makers etc etc etc...These are all LEGAL products. DEMOCRATS, being the SOCIALIST SCUM that they are, are always the weasles behind these type of lawsuits...Are YOU a Socialist /Communist scum Michelle????????????

LaughingatBrangelina

No! That is just unbelievable.

I am so sad about this. Watching :A Christmas Story" every year from now will always have this tragic undertone for me now.

Jaime

It's a terrible tragedy to lose someone like this especially when drinking is involved. My prayers are with the family of the victims....

Jennifer Scott

Oh wow, that is so sad... I loved the Christmas movie & I'm so sorry for the families loss. Just told my husband & he was saddened to hear of this tragedy as well. Our deepest sympathies to the family & friends of these poor innocent people.

barbarab

Lic plates has DUI on it -----------------drivers lic that says they have a DUI and

THESE HOLLYWOOD SPOILED BRATS NEED TO GO DO JAIL TIME OR GO OUT TO ACCIDENTS AND CLEAN THEM UP------------------THEY GET A WAY WITH TO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caroline

Now that a celebrity is killed by a drunk driver its a big deal but nobody cares if these skanky actresses such as Paris Hilton, Lindsy Lohan, Nicole Richie get behind the wheel and drive all drunk. Then its ok.

What happened is a tragedy no doubt. Instead of sitting there talking about this guy's status legal or not we should be going after people that use their money to get away for things like this. My best bet is that this guy Velazquez will get hanged and people like Paris will just get glorified.

Drunk Driving= Jail
Driving into oncoming traffic while intoxicated( She was high and drunk- medication my ass) = Jail
Having the money to get out of jail free and back behind the wheel= Injustice

Cape Codder

My sincere condolences go out to the family of Bob & Ariel Clark. What a senseless tragedy.

I feel that I have a good idea of exactly how they are feeling. On March 5, 2007 my mother was killed on Cape Cod (Massachusetts) by a man who had 5 prior DWI charges and is still going through the court system on a 6th charge of DWI. He had left a methadone clinic just prior to slamming his car into my mother's Chev. Tracker. Of course as is usually the case, he received a concussion and was treated and released at the hospital. I've seen this man's criminal arrest record and it is 5 pages long! He had his license revoked AND suspended when he caused the crash that killed my mother instantly. Due to the force of the impact my mother's vehicle was pushed into oncoming traffic where it was also hit broadside by a woman driving a pickup truck. The driver of the pickup had both of her legs and also her pelvis broken. She faces a long recovery at 48 yrs of age.

Tomorrow will be one month since my mother's death and the man who caused this tragedy has still not appeared in court on the charges of vehicular manslaughter or any of the other charges he is recieving due to his negligence. Today he was supposed to be in Barnstable District Court but he didn't appear. No warrant was issued for his arrest...I was told they will file a complaint and inform him that he will have to appear in court in about 4 weeks time! My mother is still dead and the person who caused her death is being given yet another chance to appear in court. The word frustrated doesn't even begin to convey what my family is feeling! This man should have been in jail due to his extensive previous record and not allowed out on the street to kill an innocent person. That he is still out in society in an outrage. Who will he kill next, a family of five?

Innocent until proven guilty is a great concept, one that I wholeheartedly support. However once the defendant, whether a celebrity, an immigrant, a regular citizen or a repeat offender (such as as the man who is charged in my mother's death) is found guilty the court system should sentence them to the full extent of the law. Until this happens every one of us who travels along our roadways is at risk of losing our lives instantly due to the selfish and careless actions of others.

www.justicefordiane.com

Steven Millan

Trult sad and shocking news to hear,especially since Bob Clark was working on making a major film comeback,for my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Nice brows

How horrible. My thoughts and prayers are with this family and the many other families outside of Hollywood that experience the pain of losing family members to drunk driving. The next simple life should be working in a morgue or with the State Patrol officers that have to notify families of these deaths.