"Christmas Story" Director Killed in L.A. Car Crash

4/4/2007 4:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bob ClarkBob Clark, director of "A Christmas Story" and a producer of the "Porky's" films, was killed today on California's famed Pacific Coast Highway when his car was hit head-on by an SUV driven by a man who was later arrested for being under the influence of alcohol.

Clark's son, 22-year-old Ariel Hanrath-Clark, was riding with his father and was also killed in the crash.

TMZ has learned that police arrested 24-year-old Hector Velazquez-Nava, the driver of the SUV, on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter, and that Velazquez-Nava will be booked once he is released from the hospital. We're told that Velazques-Nava had a female passenger whose status is unknown at this time.

According to police, the Clarks were riding in a silver Infiniti around 2.30 AM Wednesday on PCH in Pacific Palisades. The Infiniti was badly damaged in the crash, and the SUV's front end was mangled.

Dave

One evening of drinking can KILL. But one night of ciggerttes won't. But beer and now hard alcohol ads are everywhere but 30 years ago they took cig. ads away. I do not drink or smoke but I feel booze ads should be taken away too. I know cigs give cancer but I would rather the guy driving next to me smoke rather then drink.

Sick of the Shrillness

I'm guessing the reason that it always has to be a race war is because nobody is comfortable being with people that are different than themselves. Every ethnicity brings different cultural perspectives that are different from our own. Having to stretch outside of the box is painful sometimes... possibly even burning out a few dendrite! lol

malvolio

..."the middle-class americans are the ones who suffer the most!!!" PLEASE! that is why there is an unnecessary war taking place and so many of your young people are dying. please to remove head from ass before more people die...

Connie

Horrible, hope he's locked up for a LONG ass time! In fact, he shouldn't ever see the light of day.

Jennifer

Oh this is so sad. I love the Christmas Story. My thoughts and prayers go out to their family.

Cynthia

I am just heartbroken. I am so sorry to the family for their loss. I'm stunned...just stunned...
More needs to be done to stop people from driving drunk. To many people are killed by careless drunks. Like I said, I'm stunned...

Oh good one you are so tied-down and so miserable

Pray for them because right now their spirits are in limbo.
This happens after a sudden tragic accident and people lose their lives, they do not know where they should go.

As for the inmature racist comments, this is not the time to point fingers or blame any group because we don't really know too much.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

PACIFIC COAST HWY. is horrific for driving. If you've ever driven it, you can understand why this accident occurred. Hopefully, they'll throw the book at this drunk. It is VERY EASY to get hit head on on the PCH. They really need to revamp it and put up a center guard rail. My deepest sympathies to this innocent family.

Sean Bresnahan

I just read the obit for Mr. Clark in the L.A. Times, and once again it's the nice guy who gets it. What a tragedy that such a decent felow, along with his son, should be dealt such a gruesome exit...and the mean and ugly traverse unscathed.

Sad in NH

Airel was a good friend of my daughter. Airel and I spent many hours talking about life and all of its possibilities. He was a soul wise beyond his years, an impressive young man who held all of the potential of this world on the tip of his finger. He was an amazing boy. We love you Airel, wherever you are now my dear friend.

pattie in cali

i am so sorry to hear this. REST IN PEACE, GODS BLESSINGS TO YOUR FAMILY, so sorry.

Mel

So very sad to hear this. It happens much too often and especiall on the PCH. I do not live anywhere near there but my Sister in Law and her friend were both killed on the PCH back in 1997 by a drunk driver who is still in jail. They were students at Pepperdine University taking a study break when they were hit by a drunk driver. Lives taken too soon. My thoughts and prayers go out to this family. Something needs to be done and hopefully this will teach a lesson to others that I have been taught by my experience that drinking and driving don't mix.

Friend Of Ariel's

I can deffinatly say that this is a total shock and a tragic loss. I feel so bad for his mother, Brother, and Stepfather because He was such a good and decent kid. It's always so tragic when someone you grew up with ends up in this sittuation. As for Mr. Clark.. I will always remember Ralphie as the big pink nightmare! His sense of humor and his warm personality will always stick with his memory.

NH

My sister and I had the pleasure of knowing Ariel. He was a wonderful and bright young man who loved life. He was the type of person who one moment was engaged in philosophical conversation, and the next showing you his latest magic trick. He had a lot of potential and I know that he will be deeply missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their family and friends.