"Idol" Ratings Down, Sanjaya to Blame?

4/6/2007 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Viewership of "American Idol" has slipped compared to last season, and each episode has been watched by less people than the one before it. Is the lack of talent, embodied by Internet fav Sanjaya Malakar, the cause? Or maybe, as the show's EP would have us believe, it's the sun's fault.
American Idol
Nielsen stats show that the Tuesday performance shows are down about 10 percent compared to last season (from roughly 31 million viewers to 28). This past Wednesday night's results episode, which saw tongue-studded shrieker Gina Glocksen get the boot, was the least watched episode of the season, according to TV Week.

Idols on vacation: Click to launch galleryBut if you ask "Idol" producer Nigel Lythgoe what is causing the problem, he'll blame daylight saving time, which started three weeks earlier this year. Ratings tend to dip every year whenever the time change kicks in. "Even if we lost 50 percent of our audience, we'd still be in the top three shows in the country," Lythgoe said at a press conference on Monday. It's good to be king.

MM

LOL It isnt because of Sanjaya. It is about the whole group of singers. They are dull, no-talents. My sister has always watched AI. She said she has no reason to watch this time. No one interests her. I have watched 4 or 5 shows this time. There isnt anyone that sparks my interest either. I think AI is just losing its lackluster. It has become too obvious how the producers come up with conspiracies (drama). The judges are now predictable and boring.

Virginia

American Idol deserves to go totally straight to hell. Simon is sickening with his mean insults to people, calling them ugly, fat, whatever, things that have no bearing on a persons talent.. This show is just a musical Jerry Springer. Any makers of a show who think it is okay to belittle people in this manner deserve no show. In fact those who support this ugliness deserve to have no success in this entertainment world. period.

Jessie

Right on #79.

And as far as Sanjaya, he is the least boring thing on the show.

Tracy

Next year they should bring back all the 2nd, 3rd & 4th runner ups from all the previous seasons for a second shot. Atleast then everyone will have talent.

Lucky

Yesterday, learned from my hairdress that his wife was approached by an "Indian" who said he was getting "many" votes for a fee if she would want Sanjaya to win?! Now, today, Jay Leno story saying it is rigged? Yep, FCC should get involved in this one. I VOTE Jordin....wow....what a wonderful, beautiful, talented lady.

TIA

This season is very boring. While there are 2 or so talented performers. Out of the 1000's that auditioned, I can't believe this is what they came up with.
Sanjaya is an absolute joke.
I quit watching the show 2 weeks ago.
Sorry Idol

Trish

The judges proclaimed the contest to be between Melinda Doolittle and Lakisha Jones from Day one. They are the most boring singers in the history of the world.

At least Sanjaya is entertaining. His weekly hairdo is the most exciting part of the show.

AI peaked last year with Taylor Hicks. The ratings were up because of Taylor Hicks and they're down because Taylor Hicks is not there. Taylor is a fantastic entertainer.... he doesn't come through so good on a CD.... but he's a great live entertainer.

DianaS

I think Sanjaya has made this whole season a big joke. He can't even sing on key - who are the idiots voting him through each?

NHMan

Its too late for this season, but if AI does continue into season 7, there needs to be a max 1 call per phone number. The same people are calling in as many times as possible and choosing Sanjayah as a joke.

Just limit the voting to 1 call per number. This will solve the problem.

AI should investigate the actual phone numbers that are coming in for SM and see how repetitive the numbers are....they may be a bit suprised.

NHMan

cinderella42470

I hate that you have to check your email every time you make a comment . That sucks. Anywho, I like that idea of bringing back some of the past contestants next year. Not sure how many would want to though.

Sanjaya sucks!!
Haley sucks!!!
Phil sucks!!!
Chris isn't all that good.

The final four should be: Jordin, Blake, Lakesha & Melinda

But damn... THIS SEASON SUCKS!!!!

molly

Idol isn't as good. The singing is boring, the judges are boring, and the second nite's entertaimment is boring. With 100k auditions somebody had better listen better next summer and quit putting ringers on the show. That is unless the show is cancelled...

jake

I really think its down because of the talent level,you have about 2 good ones and 2 so so good ones and only 2 good looking ones.I think sanjaya should have not made the top 12,after he is voted off he should go to work for howard stern.

CJ

I don't watch it because voting for the worst person sort of defeats the purpose of the show don't you think? It makes a joke out of the program and worst of all it hurts the people who really do have talent.

just wondering

Last year was exciting with Kellie Pickler, Taylor Hicks, "Chicken Little", Chris Daughtry, Elliott Yamin, Bucky Covington and Mandisa. There was a good mix of country, rocker, ballad singers, etc. There was a lot of personality plus most of them looked like they'd look good on a CD cover. And so far more than one of them are hitting it semi-big (I know that Chris and Kellie both have hit CD's in their field, and both Taylor and Bucky have released CD's that are somewhat successful).

This year's group suffers from a lack of personality and charisma. Yes, I suppose Melinda can sing but I'd never buy a ticket to her concert because I'm really tired of her surprised look, and I don't think that a professional back-up singer should even be in this competition. I personally hope that Jordin wins.

And then I hope that during next year's auditions, they go back to the basics and get a good mix of different styles. And during their Hollywood week this year, they lost one of their best candidates just because she forgot her words - that cute little blonde girl with personality from some ranch in Texas. So maybe they should re-think their Hollywood week and keep the ones with charisma even if they forget a word or two under pressure.

So I don't think this year's problems are all the fault of one person, but a combination of being too bland, and too many forgettable faces.

Lloyd

I quit watching anything with anyone on it with that phony British accent..
I would like to have a filter on my TV thaat filtered them out.