Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

Rockstar

He rolled his eyes because he believed just like the rest of us that Chris spoke out on tv to gain the sympathy vote. I don't believe Chris did anything wrong, that's not what I'm saying, I would have done it too, however, Simon knew Chris would be saved another week because people would vote for him just because. Am I right, or am I right?

Rockstar

johnnie

whatever you may think about Simon, he would never ever be that dissrespectful on something like that. someone was just being an A-hole and it was not Simon this time.

TJ

He was OK. We love Simon and we always will, is one fabulous asshole.

Candy

"Give me a freakin' break!" Simon can be a little rough at times but he's still a human being not a monster. Haven't we learned from the horriable tragedy of Columbine or VT? I wish people would stop picking on other people.

Meowch

Well there you have it. I do believe his explanation was sincere.

lab

I believe Simon Rolled his eyes because He believed It was his tactic to say A tribute to the VA disaster, to get An extra Brown nose effect from the audience, As to help them to not focus on his singing but to remember him as A careing person, and Simon I believe is to the kind of person that likes to get to the point of what happening and not focus on anything else, and Thought that it wasn't what the show was about, so leave it Out kinda response.

Jazz

I will never understand how anyone of any level of intelligence could possibly be taken in by this rubbish-I don't watch, but this phenomenon is interesting to me in that it proves how easily people are taken in by the entertainment industry-as they laugh all the way to the bank. Come on people, show some intelligence and shut this moronic display down. There is so much more in the world to find entertaining than a sarcastic, ignorant, arrogant fool like Simon and Idol. It's just so much nonsense.

Lee

People ...People.. why are we being so petty did we all become mind readers now? nobody can possibly know what Simon was reacting too, or for that matter thinking about, without being inside his head. And does it really matter?

To judge someone over simple eye movement sounds like something Cho the shooter at VT was doing.

Think about it people. Dont we have bigger fish to fry in this world. Like fixing all the messes we as humans have created. So put your energy where it can do some real good. First problem stopping all the hate, and prejudgements and take the time to get to know your neighbor again we might find we really are in this together. And together we are pretty damn awsome.

penelopi

Simon is the reason we watch the show , he is very honest with everyone as it should be this way, Simon did not roll his eyes at what Chris said about the family and victims, he simply was doing his job as a judge ,Chris should have not changed the subject in the middle of Simon speaking and Chris should have waited to make his statement about the tragedy until Simon was fully finished with his comments about his singing nasaly of which by the way Chris was. I thank Simon for the apology on last nights show, but he had no reaon to do it, this should show what a great person he truly is
SIMON IS THE REASON AMERICAN IDOL IS STILL ON THE AIR

R man..

Simon didnt do anything, people just dont make a big deal out of everything because he didnt even hear what he said, and we cleared that up, so i say everyone should just get over it, and i know what a big tragedy it was a VT but Simon did comment near the end of the show about the VT horror, so get over it media.

R man..

Deloris

Yes, Simon did roll his eyes when chris made a shout out to vt, but only because Simon did not think of doing so first. By the way I do like you Simon. In addition HALELLUYAH sanjayayaya is finally gone!!

SignoPhazer

What difference does it make what Simon was rolling his eyes at? Even if he WAS rolling his eyes at the Virginia Tech comment, it would have been only to say, "Oh great, now he's trying to win votes by cashing in on a tragedy. " Personally, I think the two conversations mingled unexpectedly and Simon was reacting to the nasal "style of singing" defense nonsense.

William Sutliff

Cattle dog call you did watch the same clip I all the other people saw. He was talking to paula. Also Simon is right on on 90 % of the singers. Some music he does not like