Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

Kelley

The news always tries to make Simon look bad. You could definitely tell he wasn't rolling his eyes about the Virginia Tech comment. Chris R. was acting like a fool, and had to throw in that comment to try and make himself look better.

Erica

I was watching last night and it was obvious that his reaction was to chris' stupid comment. What a moron..nasal is not a form of singing. I would of rolled my eyes too. Anyone else watching (who isn't set out to make something out of nothing) would of just as easily of seen that. It's ridiculous that people are making such a huge deal out of this.

Caroine B

I don't believe that Simon intended any disrespect to those afffected by the VT tragedy, but I definitely believe he was rolling his eyes at Chris's comments about the tragedy, not the "nasally" comments. Simon is never afraid to think the worst of people and express it and I believe he rolled his eyes because he thought Chris was trying for some lame sympathy vote through his tears. I'm sure Simon regrets his sarcastic response, but it wouldn't hurt him to practice thinking better of people! Chris is a young, Virginia boy and if he said he has a lot of friends suffering over this, he is more than likely right and 'though the shooting has horrified everyone, it's hardest on those with more in common with the victims. I was born and raised in Virginia and am also the mother of a college student and I've been in tears for two days. Work on your soul Simon!!

me10

Watched it several times by Tivo. It's clear that Paula could clearly hear Chris's VT comment as she was vigorously nodding in agreement. Ryan heard clearly and said, "well said", the audience heard clearly and applauded loudly, but we're supposed to think that Simon didn't hear and was responding to the last subject. Puhlease!

Mischa

I can't stand Simon, never could. This just proves he's not even paying attention, he's just full of himself and trying to put on a show. Chris is a great guy, I know people who know him. He works at the Hooter's in Greenbriar in Chesapeake. Chris was very nice to think of the victims and use his time on TV to bring it up. We here in VA are suffering over the tragedy. I hope more people will vote for Chris.

Sunshine

Simon should really take Manners 101!!!!!

michele

Chris is a sactimonious little prick. I can't stand his singing or his attitude. The little weasel wouldn't even make the final cut for our high school musical. WHAT he is doing on American Idol is beyond me. His comments about the shooting on the VA Tech campus were baloney. He was only trying to call attention to himself and deflect the viewers from focusing on his ridiculous rationalization for singing through his nose. He sounds like a Canadian Goose during mating season.

Simon Feels Bad

Simon feels bad. He was probably even thinking the same thing. What a tragedy.

Blind Squirrel

I rolled my eyes, too when I heard Chris' mention VT after the negative reviews he got from the judges. I felt that it was to get sympathy votes for him. Sanjaya will win this singing(?) competition.

StephanieK

Simon was obviously rolling his eyes to the way Chris defended himself on his nasaly vocals. I don't think Simon woud be that sarcastic in the wake of a tragedy. Although I'm really saddened by the VA Texh shootings, I think that Chris's show of support was a way of trying to get people to forget about the terrible song he just sang and vote for him because he's a good guy. I'm sure he is but, AI already expressed their condolence on the behalf of the whole show before it began. But, people just LOVE AI scandal!

Sunshine

I do think Simon should offer an apology to America for his ill timed "eye rolling". It is obvious that most people would in fact think that he rolled his eyes @ Chris when he offered his sympathy for Virginia Tech, either that or Simon has a very slow reaction time!
It is one thing to be a critic and another to be plain old ignorant.

Tim

Simon is the best judge up there, he always tells it like it is...You would have to be a complete ass to think he has no feelings about the shootings, that is just so crazy, leave it to some of the Haters to even think that, they are just trying to get a rise out of eveyone, Well it looks like it worked..To all you Haters...blog my middle finger...

Katarin

I've actually been there watching the show live, and it is impossible to hear when the audience is all reacting at once. I absolutely believe that he didn't hear what Chris was saying, since he changed gears so quickly, from Simon's criticism to the Va. Tech tragedy. But people will believe what they want to, no matter what. Give the guy a break!

Georgi

It was COMPLETELY clear to me that Simon's eyeroll was in response to Chris' statement regarding his nasal sound. It had NOTHING to do with VT. As Simon would say, this issue is rubbish. Get over it people, and look for something else to beetch about. Lay off Simon.

Mischa

Tech is a huge school and everyone I know knows somebody who was there. I even know two who personally knew victims. Chris is NOT faking his sadness, and you who say it should be ashamed. He wasn't looking for a sympathy vote. You have no idea what this shooting has done to our state. If he HADN'T mentioned it, he would have been a heartless ass- but he's not, Simon is.