Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

Sonny Blake

I have to tell you people, I pray you never have to go through parent alienation. Please don't judge unless you know what you are talking about.

"Judge not lest ye be judged."

jenny

I FEEL THAT WHEN HE SAID THOSE THINGS HE WAS INDEED BEING HIMSELF AND SOMETHING HE DOES OFTEN WHEN HE GETS MAD,AND TREATS THIS YOUNG GIRL LIKE HE SAID "12 OR 11YR. OLD " LIKE THAT AND I THINK ITS TIME SOME ONE HELPS HER. I HAD A STEP DAD WHO WAS LIKE THAT, BUT HE WOULD NEVER DO IT INFRONT OF MY MOTHER. IT WAS AFFRAID FOR THE CHILD AS WE ALL SHOULD BE.

Andrea

Interesting he keeps talking about the effect it has has on HIM over the last 6 years, not his daughter. Any good parent can tell you that if you truly love your children you set aside your own anger and feelings for the benefit of the child. Imagine how confused she is being torn between her parents, possibly being manipulated by one or the other or both and she doesn't have the skills we are SUPPOSED to develop by the time we mature to deal with all of the conflict, and still come out unscathed. Her parents are supposed to be teaching her how to weather this intact, instead they are acting selfishly and making a bad situation worse on the healthy development of their child. Don't be suprised if Ireland turns to drugs or alchol when she is older since she isn't learning how to deal with the difficulties in life positively through her parents.

Sonny Blake

105. Until you've been in a situation where your daughter tells you "if I talk to you dad, unless it is 'your' time, I suffer the consequences from mom. And she doesn't just let it go after she yells at me, she holds it against me for days." That is a quote from my oldest daughter. Was I wrong to take it out on them, yes.... But after I heard my daughter tell me that .......... it stopped. I thought they just wanted nothing to do with me, I had no idea they recieved passive punishment from their mother when they talked to me or came by my house when it wasn't "my weekend."

"Judge not lest ye be judged."

just my opinion

there is no excuse for a father who would publicly ridicule his child on TV yet and then leave her a message like the one he did. I've been the child on the receiving end of a parent's verbal abuse, and I have made the choice of not speaking to nor having contact with a parent for many years. MY choice.

I would bet you anything that was just a small example of the way he talks to her and demeans her on the phone and when they are together. This is not just a one time incident, he just got caught. Personally, I think it's justice.

He threatened to straighten her out. Did he mean physically or verbally? Either way, it's enough to make her want to avoid him. Can you imagine the stress of waiting for him to show and follow through with his threat. Thank goodness for a judge that prevented it. She should see to it that the man has counseling before he has any contact of any kind with this child.

Serenity

As for the poster of comment 83 no one and I do mean no one deserves to be talked to like that.....I don't care if you're 11 or 80 it is wrong.....verbal abuse is abuse. I have a daughter of my own and I would never dream, no matter how mad I would be at her, call her a rude pig. I hope you get help as well before becomming a parent becasue it sounds like to me you're off on the wrong foot.

VERBAL ABUSE IS JUST AS BAD A PHYSICAL ABUSE

He said She said who really cares. I have lived it, been there done that. But there is NO excuse as a Father to have called his daughter all of those name's. Verbal abuse is just as bad a physical. As far as I am concerned he should be ordered to seek help. Shame on you Mr. Baldwin.

Luke

I always disliked this guy, the whole family actually. They stink as actors and are pompous arrogant individuals. This takes the cake. This guy should not be allowed to see his daughter at all. His slighty veiied threat of what he's going to do to her is very distrubing.
I pray his daughter was out of town today, if in fact he went to California on 4/20 as stated.

Dawn

I feel so very bad for Mr. Baldwin. In a world where judges and patrents coddle these yuong ones to the point, that they can be disrespectful to parents, but we can't retaliate.As the mother of two daughters, 21 and 15, I have have my share of blow ups due to un answered cell phones that we pay for to keep in touch with them! They always answer for every friend! Hopefuly, the judge will get a grip and learn to teach these kids respect!

Susie

Although it was wrong of Ms. Basinger to release this tape publicly, Mr. Baldwin cannot be excused for the horrible things he said to his daughter in this message. Yes, parents get upset, especially when bitter divorces are in the picture. But to take it out on the children is JUST PLAIN WRONG.

Learn Something

Am I the only one who read he had apologized, before this was even leaked, to his daughter? I am just curious, since everyone is saying he didn't apoloigize and he owes her an apology.

Another mom

What an idiot. Any man who would leave a message of that nature on the voice mail of their daughter is in need of serious help. Everyone who has children and is involved in divorce goes through disagreements. But no REAL MAN would demean his child in such a way. Argue with Kim (in private or in court) but don't involve your daughter in your issues.

By the way, I don't believe for a moment this was an isolated event on your part, and I can imagine why Kim may give you problems at times over taking her child. Because, remember, the mother of your daughter has respect enough for her to do what is best for her daughter, without regard to what it makes YOU "look like" in the process.

If you have friends supporting your position in this horrendous tirade, I question their judgment and hope their children are monitored carefully.

BeBe

I am shocked to hear that this recording was made public.....This is a private family matter..Though I am also shocked that Mr Baldwin said those things to his daughter....Kim and Alec are just hurting their daughter.......Maybe thats why she is the way she is.........The parents should grow up

annanicolestern

Shame on you Alec...but I still like your show and I love your movies (esp. Miami Blues).
I know you're sorry for calling Ireland a "pig" and losing your temper, and you know you have to live with that guilt for the rest of your life. The guilt that goes with being a good parent NEVER ends....and I do believe you are basically a good father who loves his daughter. Your temper always gets you in trouble!!!

Now, for everyone that reads this, esp. if you have kids...Was there a time that your kids, or anyone for that matter, ever pissed you off enough that you said something to them in anger that you wished you hadn't ??? How 'bout sending an email in the heat of anger?
Think REALLY hard and be honest. Now, if that's not bad enough, how would YOU like your private msgs aired publicly for the whole world to see/hear?? It would suck, huh? That msg was private, not meant for anyone but his kid (and he probably knew Kim would hear it too), and I agree it is a horrible msg to a 12 yr old.

Kim's a bitch and is making things worse by using her kid as a pawn. She must've driven Alec crazy.

Good luck to you Alec--I hope things work out for you~

Liz

Kim is dealing with an out of control abusive man who is directing that anger at her young child.

She absolutely did the right thing making this public. What if she or her daughter became seriously hurt by him? No one would believe he did it, they would continue to think Alec was the victim in this divorce. He has portrayed himself as the victim from day one.

Cat is out of the bag, it is Alec that is the lying nut job here.