Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

HW Agent

Wow! Way to put the "Buy My Book" spin on it! Nice work! I see a future in politics for somebody!

Diane

She'll probably end up like I have--fearful of commitment, and never wanting to take a chance
on marriage/family. That's what comes from having an abusive father. I was always
afraid I'd end up with an s.o.b. who will be just as bad as my father, if not worse.

Tangie

You called your daughter a pig. That's more than anger about an unanswered phone call. Your hate for kim consumes you. And i think you spoke to an 11 yr. old as if she were a woman. God, i hope both of you lose her.

Cari

QUIT blaming Kim she is not the saying those things to her own child. All he is doing is blaming everone else for his failure as a father. U cant call him a Dad because a Dad would not to his little girl like that . Why dont U soend some money on Anger Management U need it very very bad!!!!!!!!!

#7

It's no ones business what Alec B and his daughter conversed about. It is ever worse that his wife and lawyer leaked this private matter that they were discussing.
I feel for the young girl and what she has to endure with both of her parents. She will suffer the most in the end.....the kids always do.
I hope both of them will look at what they did and think of what they are doing to this child.
Letting the whole world hear this makes me wonder how much her mother loves her.
Was she using her daughter as a pawn to get back at Alec Baldwin.....it makes one wonder!

wr

OMG! How are you going to say things like that to your child??? You should have been saying those things to the mother who has the control over your daughter...And what makes you think Ireland would want to come see you after you threatened her like that, That is what it sounded like.. a threat! YOu should have a conversation with your daughter and apologize a dozen times........

wr

Lea

Abusers ALWAYS apologize profusely after the fact and then claim to have been "DRIVEN" to it. That kids father calling her a pig will ring in that kids memories long after his team gets through spinning the blame on the mother. It would be that way no matter if the family was famous or not.

She may not be the best parent , but I've never heard of any abuse from her side. Get the kid away from him and his vicious words. . Aren't there like a hundred other Baldwins who might treat the kid better?

John A. Dillon

It is clear this is the same type of Evil Behavior that Nichole Brown Simpson had to put up with for many yrs. With no one listening to her cries for help and protection. Thank God this was on tape and was able to be proven. Or Who nows today is the 20th and he could have easiely come out and Killed both Kim and his Daughter. Then for the next weel or 2 allof the world could have come out and told us How wonderful O.J. is and how like minded he and Alec are. That we should have compassion for Alec and it is to bad that no one Helped Alec.

areu144k@hotmail.com

If you are on the edge, maybe you should take a break for a while. In the mental hospital!

Pearly Whites

Frightening! The worst is that he says he is coming out next week, friday the 20th, to "STRAIGHTEN YOUR ASS OUT". Make sure you are there. Rude little pig.

That would terrify any 11 year old.

Now he is going to trash the mother and daughter in a BOOK? This guy is nuts. He rants about the "trouble" it is to find a phone to call her. CELL PHONES! Get one.

And this is only what WE have heard. Imagine what goes on when he has that poor child alone.

RLP

OMFG, the 7th story on these people. WHO CARES

Again, who is worse, NBC news or TMZ. yikes.

tj

How many times does Basinger have to be held in contempt of court before people see that she's an evil wench? I personally can't stand Baldwin, but it makes me even more ill to see women screw with their ex-husbands and using the kid to do it. Why did it take Basinger NOW to leak this? It's because she didn't have anything else for the past six years. bitch.

an yone

I think he should be fired from NBC!!!! The man is off his rocker>

Big Ol' Biscuit

If there was no history of Alec Baldwin being notorious for decades for having a rageaholic temper, then I would have some sympathy for him. Yes, I'm sure Kim is a pain in the ass, but I am confident that Alec is doing his best to contaminate the conflict with his own vindictiveness.

Given that he is well-known for this type of tirade, and that he inflicted it on a child, and his own daughter at that, there is ABSOLUTE NO EXCUSE. None at all, regardless of what Kim may or may not have done. Regardless of whether the child is erratic and inconsiderate. NO EXCUSE!!!!!

David L. Burt

Read this man's statement. He thinks the worst part of this episode is that 1. the whole world heard it, 2. because Kim violated a court order.

No you fat disgrace of a man, the worst part is that you attacked your child in this manner. I guess if Kim hadn't released it you could have kept up your victimhood status and cried on Larry King's shoulder.

You cowardly piece of garbage. You just don't get it do you? Your career is over bud. Your daughter may be all that you have left so I wouldn't destroy that too.

David