Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

Vanessa

He just wants to be a good father...he should've taken out on his ex-wife but his daughter's a teenager. I'm sure she's "at that age."

How did a voicemail from her phone leak out to the media anyway? Little brat Ireland.

Meowch

It's everyone else's fault. He's the victim.This is the first time he has ever done this.He's sorry. Won't happen again. Are any of you people who are educated about abuse buying this?

Shelby

No One knows anything from one voicemail. I understand why TMZ put it out there. It's all about demand, not fairness or morality.
No one knows or has any place to comment if they have not been seperated from thier own child.
Balwin was wrong to be so hateful to his daughter. But we are all human, have all said things we wished we would not have.
And yes, I have been seperated from my daughter. But NO, I have never called her names.
But I do relate to Baldwins frustration and am sorry for him that besides having to deal with life without his child, he is now having to justify his actions to a public that does not understand nor care too.

Whatareyoudoing?

The rock has been turned over, Dawg. OMG, it's nasty under there! Get some help. Please!

Maryannp

I don't think I'll be buying his book.......... And yes, I do smell rehab next. This is a man who is more concerned with being "right" in the eyes of the public than in being a good father to his daughter. Shame on you Alec.

TJ

He is just a punk and a bully. He has a history of violence and has no class or self control. Anyone who condones his outburst to his little 11 year old daughter is a bully as well. I don't care what issues he has with his ex wife you do not take it out on your child! Abusive behavior should never be tolerated whether verbal or physical. He needs to go directly to anger management to deal with his demons.

Susie

Has anyone stopped to think of the damage the MOTHER did by seeing that this conversation went public??? It goes to show you that Kim's intent on getting back at Alec is so intense, that she made sure this 'slipped' into the right hands. That doesn't sound like a mother looking out for her child's best interest, it sounds like an ex-wife intent on bringing down her ex-husband. Now Ireland will forever be remembered by this conversation. Good going mom!

amazing

sounds like baby alec feels he's the first and only person to be going through a nasty divorce.
you need to grow up man! and what a moron you are calling your own daughter a pig. i don't care who pushes your buttons ,demoralizing your daughter is totaly unacceptable.
what kind of message do you think that young girl got from an idiot for a father.you went as far with your idocricies to make that poor child fear you might kill her or beat the hell out of her. your anger is beyond acceptable and merits councelling. your daughter is not at fault for your marital or personal problems. it takes two to make a marriage and it takes two to end a marriage,so don't go putting 100 % blame on your wife. you jerk you messed up too.
1/2 the blame for the collapse of your marriage belongs to you.1/2 the blame for your personal problems belongs to you, 100 % blame on your loss of control belongs to you.

Rita

No matter what happened in the divorce or custody of this child. He is the adult and you do not call your child names. Taking it back does not erase what he said. He should be ashamed of himself what he said. The words were said. Their child heard them and the damage is done.

MBA-MS.BADASS

He's busted, you vile pig!
Squirm piggy, squirm!

Valeria

This is a private matter. It is NONE of our business. We don't know him nor the dynamic of their relationship. If you have a kid you have to understand that sometimes a parent's patience can run out! Shame on whoever made this taping public!

Sheila

I think Mr Baldwin should calm down before he regrets what he says next time, but also I sympathize with him as his ex wife has plenty to do with this, and shame on her...shes using her daughter to punish her ex spouse what a cop out. Lets face it Alec loves his daughter and in time she will be on her own without the poor judgment of her Mother .

Cynic

"I'M the victim!"

fake apology

downplaying his actions

trying to deflect attention/criticism to whoever exposed him

=

narcissist

His defenders

=

paid bloggers (who deny it)

No one is fooled

Stan

If you do the research on KIm you'll see a bunch of red flags. It's been covered before. But not in a few years. It's more interesting to bash the Dad here I suppose. Bassinger is so shy or something that she is nearly paralyzed at times....and avoids all sorts of real or imagined problem situations. When a Mom like that has custody, usually the Dad vanishes as he is so blocked and there is often no accountability if a woman screws up. Good for Baldwin that he is still trying.

LadyWyntre

You folks who say that this is as bad as hitting the young lady--obviously you've never been hit. I grew up with physical and verbal abuse, and I'd take verbal ANY day over being beaten up.