Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

tj

Hey #54....how do YOU know he scared his child to death? Are you psychic? Is Ireland your best friend??? All you people who claim you know what abuse is and what role the kid played in it are just plain nuts.

Animal Lover

You know what Alexander, you haven't changed a damn bit, you're still a big loudmouthed bully just like the days in Massapequa. But to be a bully to your daughter no matter what the reason was, is just pure disgusting. Did you punch some holes in the walls, remember the house in Massapequa...lots of tempers in that house! No wonder Kim doesnt want you anywhere near Ireland, I wouldn't allow you within 10 miles of her you dispicable louse. You wrote a book LOL, about what????? And what important thing do you have to say, how to mend holes in your house walls???!!!! You are just a washed up old has been who really never was much of anything anyway.

concerned mother

There is absolutely no excuse for your actions. I do not care how controlling or manipulative your ex wife has been or you feel has been. There is absolutely no excuse for taking this out on your daughter. Your true colors have shown brightly Mr. Baldwin. You are such an ego-maniac that it is obvious you find yourself the victim and can see that you have done no wrong. It isn't the fact that this tape has been made public that is a source of pain for your daughter...it is the fact that she has you for a father. You are just embarrassed that you are outted now. I see very good reason why your ex wife is taking a public stand with this and making sure the world sees the real you. Good for her and I can only pray the courts see through your obvious PR apology.

PeopleAreUptight

I don't what someone has been going through during a divorce, he had no right to go off on his daughter like that...my god, he called her a pig....he should be yelling at her mom, not at the child like that...if I was his daughter, I would never forgive him, never see or speak to him again...he doesn't deserve her in his life....Fine, yell, scream...but don't do it to the child....sounds like neither parent should have custody...sounds like she would be better off with some strangers in foster care. Saying your sorry doesn't make up for calling your daughter a pig.

jack sparrow

Children grow-up, and they always remember what their parents said or did to them. Especially if it was ugly. That's not the first time he's been nasty to his daughter. I just hope it will be the last. Damage is done, alittle too late to place the blame on somebody else.

MBA-MS.BADASS

#65 Valeria - You're just as ignorant as this man! You are one of those people who will witness a child being abused and will either just walk right by or join in the abuse! Verbal abuse towards a child is EVERYONE's business, skank!

MAGGIE

Alec..who the F**K would read your book now?

gingergirl

His daughter is just an 11 year old and like all children, her thoughts are not about waiting for a call from her father. I'm sure that she is used to her father and knows that he loves her. I don't think that A.B. is not the first father, that yelled at his daughter. So What! She probably deserved it.

flower_baby

my parents divorced when I was a teen, and a few points that really pissed me off..

1. missing out on MY life because I had to fit in with visits / phone calls.

2. calling my parent 'crazy/nuts' WISE UP MORONS, we share the same gene, and I love that person, so am I crazy too?

3. being totally disregarded because I'm just a kid, so my opinions and feelings can't be real, I must have been brainwashed! WTF!?"!

char

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF ALCOHOLISM REARING ITS UGLY HEAD.
HOPE KIM AND IRELAND ARE IN ALA-NON.

YOU NEED A SPONSER ALEC...NOT A LAWYER.

Oh Puhsleazzz!

68. This is a private matter. It is NONE of our business. We don't know him nor the dynamic of their relationship. If you have a kid you have to understand that sometimes a parent's patience can run out! Shame on whoever made this taping public!

Posted at 5:48PM on Apr 20th 2007 by Valeria

So calling your child a rude, thoughtless little pig is okay? Maybe in your twisted world. Its one thing to lose your patience, its quite another to verbally abuse and threaten your child.

Victoria

Rage. I have no idea what Kim Bassinger has or hasn't done. I have no idea if Alec Bladwin deserves or doens't deserve that treatment.
I don't think there is any reason to speak to your 11 year old daughter like that...then to find the reason is that she ignores his phone calls???? Doesn't matter what the reason, that is verbal abuse. I think I know why she doesn't answer the phone.
Listening to that made me speechless. I now believe Kim's claims of physical abuse, if this is how he talks to an 11 year old who won't pick up the phone.

Valeria

This is a private matter. It is NONE of our business! We don't know him nor the dynamic of his relationship with his daughter. If you have a kid, you have to understand that sometimes a parent's patience can run out. Shame on whoever made this taping public!

Liz

He is just pissed that he was busted. He is the pig!!

He plays innocent, just listen to him talk to his daughter and it is plain to see why Kim is keeping his daughter from him. He is a manipulative, abusive pig!!

JILL

I'M A MOTHER AND AN EX WIFE. I WOULD HAVE LEAKED IT TO THE WORLD ALSO. WHY ARE YOU APOLOGIZING TO ANYONE THIS HAS HURT? YOU HAVE ONLY ONE LITTLE PERSON TO APOLOGIZE TO, THE MAIN PERSON YOU HURT, YOUR DAUGHTER. ALL YOU EX HUSBANDS FEEL AS THOUGH YOU ARE SUCH VICTIMS. I'LL TELL YOU WHAT ALEC BALDWIN, WHEN MEN START LYING DOWN AND GIVING CHILDBIRTH, THAN AND MAYBE ONLY THAN, ALL OF US EX WIVES WILL STAND UP AND TAKE NOTICE. UNTIL THEN GIVE YOUR DAUGHTER A BREAK, MAYBE SHE'S SMARTER THAN YOU GIVE HER CREDIT FOR, MAYBE SHE'S AWARE OF THE RAGING IDIOT YOU REALLY ARE AND PREFERS NOT TO ASSOCIATE WITH SUCH A PIG AS YOU.