Alec Responds:

'I've Been Driven to the Edge'

4/20/2007 5:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin swung back at wife Kim Basinger, slamming "certain people" who he says, "will go to any lengths to embarass [sic] me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter."

In a statement on his website alecbaldwin.com, Baldwin apologizes for "losing my temper" but is "equally sorry that a court order was violated," and maintains that despite his now-public tirade he has friends and "respect from people I work with," and what he claims to be "a normal relationship" with daughter Ireland. Here's the statement in full:

Thank you to everyone who has posted messages of suppport and understanding. Naturally, it is not best for a parent to lose their temper with their child. Everyone who knows me privately knows that I have endured a great deal over the last several years in my custody litigation. Everyone who knows me privately knows that certain people will go to any lengths to embarass me and to disrupt my relationship with my daughter.

In such public cases, your opponents attempt to take a picture of you on your worst day and insist that this is who you are as a person. Outside the doors of divorce court, I have friends, I have respect from people I work with and I have a normal relationship with my daughter. All of that is threatened whenever one enters a court room.

Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child. I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case.

Once my book is published, I'm sure more people will understand the incredible strains created by parental alienation.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to anyone who's taken offense from this episode.

Sam Aranda

To Stan from CT......Sounds like I am looking in a mirror, everything you wrote I have been there and then some! The courts allow ex wives and mother practicly get away with murder! Hopefully this situation will start a new movement to help us dad who just want to be dad with out any interference from the unfit mothers.....there is such a thing as an unfit mother right???????????

cherylinohio

uhhh...alec..perhaps you've been 'perentally alienated because you call yout daughter a pig....little girls dont like to hear that ...

OUTRAGED IN CALIFORNIA

YOU WOULD THINK THAT AFTER HEARING HOW HORRIBLY OUTRAGEOUS HIS VOICEMAIL MESSAGE ReALLY WAS, HE WOULD SEE IT AS A WAKE-UP CALL AND REALIZE THAT HE IS COMPLETELY OUT-OF-CONTROL! BUT NO! INSTEAD THIS JERK IS MORE CONCERNED ABOUT FINDING OUT WHO LEAKED THE FRICKIN' TAPE AND THE FACT THAT WORLD HAS FINALLY HEARD HIM FOR WHAT HE TRULY IS - A POOR EXCUSE FOR A FATHER AND HUMAN BEING. THOSE WERE HORRIBLE THINGS HE SAID ON THAT MESSAGE AND HE OWES HIS DAUGHTER A PUBLIC APOLOGY!! ALEC - YOU NEED MEDICATION AND A PSYCHIATRIC EVALUATION! YOU ARE A SICK MAN AND I USE THE TERM "MAN" LOOSELY!!! COMPLETELY DISGUSTING!!

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING ALEC IS.... it's perfectly fine to talk to your child that way because it's all Kim's fault?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............................

WHATTA GREAT FATHER YOU ARE!!!!

Mama

Who's the adult in this story?!
No matter how angry he is with his wife, he should not take it out on his kid. He's a bully picking on Ireland instead of where his anger should be placed.
No, this is NOT normal or typical of a parent/child relationship. His comments to his daughter are beyond the pale.

The real world MOM

The incredible thing about all this is that these two jr high people who are not to be confused with adults, put their personal crap out there with no thought of the child, and SHAME on their lawyers. This child will grow up hating both of them or worse yet being just like them. For the love of good sense enough already!!

Stan

Some of the commenters..might want to find out what so many men have experienced post divorce. It's awful. There is a whole divorce industry. Your civil rights are routinely ignored. There is no accountability.

frodo

Is it any wonder his whole family has a song about them being lame?

remember the anti baldwin anthym from ded sexi "lesser of the baldwins"

they put it back up on their myspace this morning...

www.myspace.com/dedsexi

LC

I'm having a hard time believing that any mother, or father for that matter, would side with this man. I have three teens and at no time no matter how difficult they have been have I ever subjected them to such verbal abuse. Aside from all the details of their sorted relationship, which most of us have only heard bits and pieces about, you must consider the fact that the judge in this case found this behavior to be so outrageous that he/she suspended visitation. This is not a new case, these are not new allegations. Obviously the judge who knows the private unpublicised aspects of the case does not feel that MOM is the problem here. As someone who has been in the family law court of California, I know first hand that suspending a parents visitation is not something the court does easily. There has to be evidence of something more than a onetime phone outburst to deny a Father access to his child. We don't know what's in those court documents or what has transpired in the past, but I guarantee you that this was not an isloated event in this family's history. The majority of judges in California do not seek publicity and actually have the best interest of the children in mind when the decisions are made to suspend a parent's visitation. This decision was made by an unbiased third party person who actually has all the facts. You need to start looking at this from a realistic perspective and keep your opinions of the "stars" out of the mix. It's not about Hollywood tabloid it's about a little girl who's being objectified and essentially blamed for her parent's failures. SUCKS FOR HER!!!

Serenity

I;m just curious as to the fact is Alec Baldwin more sorry for the way he spoke to his daughter or that the public found out what a vicious father he really is.....I DON'T CARE HOW UPSET YOU ARE WITH YOUR CHILD YOU DO NOT CALL THEM A PIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....this was totally uncalled for and not right......verbal abuse is just as bad if not worse than physical abuse.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

YOU'RE BLAMING YOUR EX-WIFE FOR THE WORDS THAT CAME OUT OF YOUR PIE HOLE???????????????????????????????????
Oh, you're good.

Sonny Blake

Alec,
While I don't agree with how you talked to your daughter, I certainly understand how this can happen as I too am a victim of parental alienation. I went through a divorce myself and experienced the most horrifying ordeal of my lifetime. While my 2 daughters meant everything in the world to me, their mother did everything in her power to keep me out of their lives. Now before anyone jumps to conclusions let me say this........ I was a good father to my children, I paid my child support faithfully, I went way and beyond was I was "supposed" to do, bought prom dresses, yearbooks, class rings, limos for the prom, etc, etc. I was a hard working man who just wanted to be a good father inspite of the fact their mother and I was divorced. It drove me CRAZY to the point where I too took it out on my kids. It is a horrible thing.

If you don't know anything about parent alienation, please look it up before you judge one.

TskTskTsk

As an adult child of two abusive parents, I can tell you what is destructive and damaging are cruel words and behavior from a parent towards their child. He is delusional, emotionally arrested and mentally incapacitated. He's unable to take responsibility for his actions and is blaming everybody else for his behavior. So what that Kim is the instigator, that is no way to talk to and treat his child, period. I am sure his words and anger crushed her. He is showing his true colors. Did anyone go to his website and post a comment. At the comment area, he made a very sarcastic and toxic statement about the website being down because of partisan overflow and said how he can't wait to read those comments. That is his taking a swipe at us now. Talk about showing your true colors. The guy is one sick man.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

#83 LARS,
I SINCERELY HOPE GOD BLESSES YOU WITH 5 GIRLS.

nicole

"dynamics of his relationship with his daughter"?...ummm, sorry but I've lost my cool several times with my children and I've managed to not call them pigs, or cuss at them. What he did is waaaay beyond "patience" running out. I'm sure the courts will agree.