Alec Baldwin's

Threatening Message to Daughter

4/22/2007 4:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

An enraged Alec Baldwin unleashed a volcanic tirade of threats and insults on his 11-year-old daughter, Ireland, calling her a "thoughtless little pig," and bashing her mother Kim Basinger -- and TMZ has obtained the whole thing unfiltered and raw. And we've learned, a family law judge was so alarmed after hearing the tape, she has temporarily barred Baldwin from having any contact with his child.

Alec Baldwin Daughter Phone Message
After Ireland failed to answer her father's scheduled morning phone call from New York on April 11, Alec went berserk on her voice mail, saying "Once again, I have made an ass of myself trying to get to a phone," adding, "you have insulted me for the last time."

Switching his train of thought, Baldwin then exercised his incredible parenting skills and took a shot at his ex-wife, declaring, "I don't give a damn that you're 12-years-old or 11-years-old, or a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn't care about what you do." The irate Baldwin went on to say, "You've made me feel like s**t" and threatened to "straighten your ass out."

"This crap you pull on me with this goddamn phone situation that you would never dream of doing to your mother," screamed Baldwin, "and you do it to me constantly over and over again."

Before hanging up, Baldwin warned the child, "You better be ready Friday the 20th to meet with me." That's tomorrow.

We've learned that on Wednesday, Los Angeles County Superior Court commissioner Maren Nelson heard the tape and temporarily suspended Baldwin's visitation rights. A hearing is set for May 4, where the judge could permanently deny Baldwin visitation or contact with Ireland.

Calls to Basinger's attorneys, celebrity lawyers Neal Hersh and Judy Bogen, were not returned.

Baldwin's lawyer, Vicki Greene, told TMZ, "Whatever happened yesterday was sealed and confidential. What you're telling me you've got you shouldn't have."

UPDATE: Basinger's publicist, Annette Wolfe, told TMZ: "The voicemail speaks for itself."

UPDATE: A friend of Alec Baldwin's just contacted TMZ to say that the actor called Ireland last week and apologized for his outburst. The friend added that Ireland is the most important thing in the world to Alec and that he is frustrated because over the last six years, Kim has "tried everything" to alienate Ireland from him.

UPDATE: Alec Baldwin's spokesperson released the following statement to the TV show "EXTRA": "In the best interest of the child, Alec will do what the mother is pathologically incapable of doing ... keeping his mouth shut and obeying the court order. The mother and her lawyer leaked this sealed material in violation of a court order. Although Alec acknowledges that he should have used different language in parenting his child, everyone who knows him privately knows what he has been put through for the past six years."

Oh good one you are so tied-down and so miserable

1656 ----by Florida

Your right everybody makes mistakes, you were suppose to be Mississipi and I , Florida

faithful employees for the violent Mr Baldwin

Maria

Go ahead Alec! My mother played the good guy role too when she pushed our father out of our lives, we were completely brain washed, just like this poor girl is too. Say what you have to, but stop getting the kids involved, it's not her fault your ex or almost ex wife is an asshole, the reason you and her don't get along shouldn't involve the kids. A few years ago, the threat was probably coming from Kim and sounded like "Wait till your father gets home to deal with you" The kid knows damn well what she's doing, but she doesn't understand what she's getting herself in the middle of, if they take him out of this kid's life because of this voice mail message, they are going to ruin her life, I've been through it, and if you think that voice mail's bad, maybe I should share some of the conversations my father's had with me, I could probably take over these stupid tabs!

Tere

It's cleary cut and dry Mr. Baldwin is very wrong on how he handled this situtation.
And, his ex-wife is just as wrong. This is a big mistake, putting aside the media coverage, it's a big mistake that will always haunt his daughter, whether her mother is pulling the emotional strings or not, whether the Dad is an involved parent or not, this affects the children, which grow up to be disfunctional adults. Break the Cycle.

brian

As a father who went thru 10 years of Hell staying in his 2 daughters lives because of an embittered and vicious ex-wife I can certainly relate to the frustration that Alec Baldwin must have been feeling when he spoke to his daughter Ireland.

It is a travesty that a society that endorses the necessity of a two parent upbringing for the stability of a child does nothing to protect the legal rights of a non custodial parent.

I was never capable from walking out of my daughters lives....but after that 10 year experience i do now understand why some men do.

And that is a travesty!

John Clark

This is all very simple. There is a court order, setting times of visitation and times of telephone calls with the absent parent. These arrangements should be held sacred by the courts and the parties, who need to discipline their children if the order is violated without GOOD REASON. Twice in a row, or oftener not is a row, should lead to court sanctions against the offending party and especially their attorney. That is what courts and orders are set up to do. Without this kind of oversight, there is often violence, let alone bad tempers. End of discussion.

Linda Lee

I think this thing has been so blown out of proportion that it makes me sick!! I'm not saying it was right for him to lose his temper, but the man was obviously frustrated, and I don't think it did any long term damage to the child! I think the fact that she put it on the net speaks volumes about the child's motivations. Who of us has never lost our temper at least once while raising our children? He hasn't physically abused her, and he apologised for his behavior...what more can the man do? I think the people (including the judge) who are making this into such a major issue are the true nuts! There are a lot of children out there who push their parents to the limits, and even though an adult should act in a responsible manner, they can make mistakes like anyone else! Let it go people!!!!!!

intoxication_girl

honestly, i dont understand what all the fuss is about. how many parents, lose their tempers every day, with their kids when they feel their kids have done something wrong? how many of them have made mistakes when it comes to dealing with their childrens slip ups? the only reason this is being so debated over, is because of the fact that he is a famous actor. has nothing to do with weather or not he is a good or bad parent. parents aren't any more perfect than their kids are.they make mistakes just like thier children do. should they lose their rights to see their kids every time they make a minor mistake.....no, i dont feel that they should. the courts should focus more on the parents that are addicted to drugs and raising kids, or parents that are putting their children in emanant danger because of their actions, not parents that happen to lose their temper and vent it out on a voice mail. do i condone the way he talked to her and the things he said to her, no i do not, but he shouldnt lose his rights to see her over it. thats just pushing it too far. honestly, had this been any ordinary parent, who wasnt famous doing something like this....not a thing would be said or done about it, and people certainly, wouldnt be having this huge debate over it. its pretty sad if you ask me, and seems some people have way too much time on their hands, if they have nothing better to do, than to make alec out to be such a monster for doing what most people do, when they are at their wits end with their kids which is vent. its done and over with, so why continue to fight about it.

JulieZ

Why is everyone making such a big deal about this?@! Does anyone who is whining about this not remember how selfish or thoughtless they were at 11? This is the kid of 2 very rich parents that are divorced. She is playing the game with her parents. As the child of divorced parents to a certain degree I can relate. This kid has her parents on different coasts of the country. She is choosing sides (which all kids do) and her dad is hurt. He obviously wants a relationship with her and when she blows him off he gets hurt and angry. Of coarse part of that anger is at his "X"; that is who his daughter is exposed to, not to mention that the parents split was a public event to begin with. Nothing on that voicemail made me think he shouldn't be allowed access to his daughter. How is that beneficial anyway? Did he hit her? He yelled that he is tired of her blowing him off and that he intends to straighten it out...how is that wrong? Yes, he swore and told her she was selfish; she is being selfish and EVERY household I know of and visit has some swearing happening. BACK OFF AMERICA, just because they are celebrities doesn't mean they aren't also parents. I would be very pissed off if everyone jumped on me about my parenting style. When we (I'm in my 30's) were growing up I would have been terrified of blowing off either of my parents; disrespect was not tolerated. "Time outs" and "talking" aren't always the answer, if the kids don't respect you how can you expect them to listen to you? My support is with Alex and I hope the judge in this case is a grounded individual and also a parent.

Dan

Alex
I know your frustration and feel your pain. I have gone through the same thing and worse. California always sides with the woman. She can be calling you an Adam Henry to the child and nothing ever comes of it, but soon as you blow, its over.

First, you must understand, then proceed accordingly. Kim is obviously a selfish, self-centered, controlling, narcisistic woman. She most likely cannot relate well with a man in her life, so she has used the child. That infuriates you even more.

I heard you speak in Fresno Easter Sunday two years ago, and I know you are spiritual. Let go of all this and turn it over to God.

It is a terrible situation that children get placed into, because they don't understand. They are scared and lonely through all of it.

In terms of learning, read the book by Dr Love, "The Emotional Incest Syndrome." I think Kim has it. When this type of behavior takes place between a parent and a child the opposite parent really blows it like you did. In this situation, the parent uses the child for all of their emotional support, "Child-like adult with a child", and it drives the other parent crazy. But, by understanding this behavior, you can stop your reaction and start feeling sad for the other partner that they cannot relate to an adult of the opposite sex.

concerned

A couple of things concern me about this tape. One thing that I did not see in the first few comments was the fact that Baldwin was taking his frustrations towards his ex-wife on his daughter. I also find it interesting that they bleep out the word s - - t but not GD what is this world coming to.

I guess I am also a little concerned that this is considered entertainment and/or news. I have to admit I am a little ashamed that I even listened to this. It seems we as a society like to watch victimization and violence no matter who or what is happening.

Sam

I think that Mr. Baldwin got a little abrupt with his daughter, but nobody knows what he's really been through in this divorce. You are hearing one side of the story. I just wonder what has happened in this divorce to make him feel this way. It sounds to me like he is really trying to speak to his daughter and keep in touch, unlike a lot of parents that have been put in this situation. A lot of people that do not have custody of their children do not try so hard to keep in touch. I will not pass judgement on Mr. Baldwin until I know that he has not been treated unfairly by his ex-wife and child. I doubt that he went off like that without be provoked. By the conversation I heard, it sounds like this is one of many times that he has not been able to contact his daughter when the phone call was scheduled. Maybe he should make sure she isn't getting any of his money since she doesn't have the decency to take his phone calls. Wonder if she'd answer then???

lady s

ITS UNFORTUNATE THAT THE WHOLE WORLD WAS ALLOWED TO HEAR THIS MESSAGE,BUT HEY ,JUST AS BILL MAHER SAID WE NEED MORE PARENTS TO DO THIS, AND CHILDREN WILL STOP RULING THEIR PARENTS.KIDS ARE SO DISRESPECTFUL IN PUBLIC AND PRIVATE TELLING THEIR PARENTS TO SHUT UP AND NOT DOING WHAT'S ASKED OF THEM,THE PARENTS ARE THE CHILDREN THESE DAYS. GOOD FOR YOU ALEC "STRAIGHTEN HER ASS OUT"

Beenthere

I am a 38 year old woman and I remember being yelled at for worse than that. It sounds like the child CONTINUOUSLY does something he asks her not to, and he lost it. No court should be in the middle of this one. Name calling is awful, that was completely uncalled for - but the rest - sorry, it's a parent's right to reprimand the child, especially if they continue to do "whatever" it was he asked her not to, in regards to the phone.
Bottom line: OTHER THAN "PIG" - HE'S OK IN MY BOOK. Kids today are spoiled to death not only with material things, but in the way that they think we should walk on eggs for them. This is not fairyland, and we just can't always sit at the kitchen table and talk everything out. Sometimes a bit of yelling is the only way to get the message across.
Come to think of it....perhaps he meant "pig" in a sefish sense? Not that I condone it!

JAKE\'S MOM GINA

I TOTALLY SUPPORT MR. BALDWIN'S VOICE MAIL. I AM A MOTHER WHO SHARES JOINT CUSTODY WITH MY SONS DAD, SOMETIMES THE STRICT PARENT (ME) HAS TO SHOW THE CHILD WHO IS THE PARENT AND WHO IS THE CHILD. CHILDREN WILL PLAY THIS GAME, I PLAYED THE SAME GAME WHEN MY PARENTS DIVORCED MANY YEARS AGO. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE HER IN HAND AND BE THE PARENT AND NOT HER BEST FRIEND, SHE HAS FRIENDS AT SCHOOL BUTSHE ONLY HAS 1 DADDY WHO LOVES HER. GINA FROM ALABAMA

shelly

i think today most children are spoiled brats that don't have any respect for anyone, i have 3 of my own that think this world revovles only around them! Alec has every right to discipline his child. by her not answering the phone knowing he was going to call makes her irresponsible. I think he was just disappointed that she is almost a teenager and is that irresponsible. at least he's trying to be in his child's life. most men today run from their children. where i come from being that selfish at 12 calls for a good old fashioned Ass Whippin'!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments