Alec Baldwin's

Threatening Message to Daughter

4/22/2007 4:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

An enraged Alec Baldwin unleashed a volcanic tirade of threats and insults on his 11-year-old daughter, Ireland, calling her a "thoughtless little pig," and bashing her mother Kim Basinger -- and TMZ has obtained the whole thing unfiltered and raw. And we've learned, a family law judge was so alarmed after hearing the tape, she has temporarily barred Baldwin from having any contact with his child.

Alec Baldwin Daughter Phone Message
After Ireland failed to answer her father's scheduled morning phone call from New York on April 11, Alec went berserk on her voice mail, saying "Once again, I have made an ass of myself trying to get to a phone," adding, "you have insulted me for the last time."

Switching his train of thought, Baldwin then exercised his incredible parenting skills and took a shot at his ex-wife, declaring, "I don't give a damn that you're 12-years-old or 11-years-old, or a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn't care about what you do." The irate Baldwin went on to say, "You've made me feel like s**t" and threatened to "straighten your ass out."

"This crap you pull on me with this goddamn phone situation that you would never dream of doing to your mother," screamed Baldwin, "and you do it to me constantly over and over again."

Before hanging up, Baldwin warned the child, "You better be ready Friday the 20th to meet with me." That's tomorrow.

We've learned that on Wednesday, Los Angeles County Superior Court commissioner Maren Nelson heard the tape and temporarily suspended Baldwin's visitation rights. A hearing is set for May 4, where the judge could permanently deny Baldwin visitation or contact with Ireland.

Calls to Basinger's attorneys, celebrity lawyers Neal Hersh and Judy Bogen, were not returned.

Baldwin's lawyer, Vicki Greene, told TMZ, "Whatever happened yesterday was sealed and confidential. What you're telling me you've got you shouldn't have."

UPDATE: Basinger's publicist, Annette Wolfe, told TMZ: "The voicemail speaks for itself."

UPDATE: A friend of Alec Baldwin's just contacted TMZ to say that the actor called Ireland last week and apologized for his outburst. The friend added that Ireland is the most important thing in the world to Alec and that he is frustrated because over the last six years, Kim has "tried everything" to alienate Ireland from him.

UPDATE: Alec Baldwin's spokesperson released the following statement to the TV show "EXTRA": "In the best interest of the child, Alec will do what the mother is pathologically incapable of doing ... keeping his mouth shut and obeying the court order. The mother and her lawyer leaked this sealed material in violation of a court order. Although Alec acknowledges that he should have used different language in parenting his child, everyone who knows him privately knows what he has been put through for the past six years."

no bady

That kid is just as bad and spoil rat. she is too lucky to being born as...... suspended
his visitation rights will not make her grow up to be a better off or worst yet add another ugly American? what is the matter of the people here? no discipline, no respect - start from beging....... life is treasure and short for individual (life itself no end) should make it to harmonization with each other instead of creating tragedy.

Shayla

Okay everyone........it's easy for us to make comments on something we know very little about. We are not and were not in the home with this family to see what really took place between all of them. All I can say is that this is a personal issue between the family and that is how it should be handled, unfortunately they are in the public eye. As far as the child is concerned, yes she is a child; but if she is being influenced to turn against her father, that is WRONG! We as a society are quick to speak on childrens rights, etc. and although I agree with some of them, we have to also remember that "children" like to manipulate parents against one another to get their way. Personally, I feel that children need to respect and honor their parents as long as they are not being mistreated by them. What is wrong with todays society that we continue to give, or make excuses for children to do whatever they want to do? When and how do children learn that they have to be responsible for their actions? This is why we end up with children who have no respect at all for themselves as well as anyone else. Look at our children today........what do you see? What are they doing? They are living life to the fullest, they have trashy mouths, they dress in clothes they I wouldn't even wear as an adult and they're doing whatever the heck they want to do and why?, because society says they can and they don't have to be responsible for their actions. Parents no longer have a say when it comes to their children, schools no longer have control, the legal system just pats children on their backs when they do something wrong. What type of future are we really creating? These are the people who will run our world one day. Although I don't know for sure, I feel that Alec's daughter is probably manipulating and milking the situation as much as she can and most likely doing this with the parent who allows her to do what she wants. I don't think Alec was wrong in what he said to his daughter, because I don't know the full story. Heck, if I felt the need to curse my daughter out for doing something wrong, then so be it! There are consequences for every action. If there's a bad action then the consequence will be bad, if there's a good action then the consequence will be good. This is how our children learn responsibility for their actions. We are all human and we all make mistakes, but I really feel this has been blown out of proportion. Alec and Kim are the ones who have decided to get their divorce, that doesn't mean that the child should be put in the middle and kept away from one of the parents, unless that parent is proven to be unfit and going off on your child does not prove you to be unfit! That is not right! I'm so sick of this damn society that only looks at the surface of things!!! When are we going to WAKE UP!!!!

Shayla

Sorry folks, I must correct a part of one of my sentences. The sentence that reads:

they dress in clothes they I wouldn't even wear as an adult should say:

they dress in clothes that I wouldn't even wear as an adult.

Thanks

Jayne Allen

I don't think anyone can imagine what it must be like to have to deal with trying to see your daughter for SIX YEARS. The emotional toll is enormous for all; Alex has every right to be angry and frustrated with the entire situation that Kim has put him and his daughter in.

Kim just keeps digging in the knife to her EX deeper and deeper.

I think it's pretty damn lousy that she has put her daughter in the middle of this mess.

If Kim truly loved and cared for her daughter, she would be an adult, put her personal feelings aside that she has for Alex and for the sake of their daughter, do what is best for her. It's so obvious that Alex does love his daughter, and only wants the chance to spend time with her, but Kim refuses to follow any court ordered information.

For the sake of Ireland - fix this terrible and very sad situation. It's an aweful way to live one's life, trying to destroy people's souls.

regina

Why everybody is freaking out !!! a mean it!! my next door neighbor talks to her kids worst!!! the diference is that she is not famous. There is worts parents that talk really bad 2 their kids (staring with african-american).

redrose

his words were harsh it sounded more like he was threatening a male person when to far over the line on the last half of that calling her names. well when she gets to be adult she be able to choose who she want to have a better relationship with. but having it played out in public like that just makes it worse for her i can imagine if she goes to public school right now the what the kids are saying about what her dad said. my parents are still married so i had peaceful umbringing. divorce is hell for the kids or being stuck in a marriage that is not working for sake of kids? neither sound good

Mandy Howe

Ireland probably had her phone turned off to avoid all this, to avoid doing anything to her father, whether nice or nasty. She is probably caught in the middle of an angry mother that berates her father in front of her and her father that is desperate for a relationship with her but is not prepared to live with her. Too much responsibility is put on the young children when separated parents try to communicate to each other through that child. The communication should be directed and controlled by the mother that lives with the child, thus giving protection to the child and a chance for the child to have a say how she feels about it. Eleven year old kids should be able to just worry about kid stuff, and not be dragged into the adult world of angry parents insisting on their rights and their power as a parent. Ireland probably has great love for her father as he does for her, but she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn`t. She can`t please both parents at the same time which probably gives her a big headache, that she probably wants to simply avoid.
Alec starts his message on her level but as answering machines are prone to do, he went off unchecked and let his feelings get carried away. It just added to Ireland`s dilemma of now having a scarrey reunion with a pissed Dad. She never should have been in a position where this could have happened. She is too young to be forced into communication on an adult level. Alec simply is not the parent that is taking care of her, feeding her, educating her or bringing her up and he shouldn`t act like he is.

Shelley

This is an example of making the perpetrator seem like the vicitum. It is utterly disgraceful what he said and no one or nothing can ever give you the "right" or "understainding why" you could say such words to your daughter, My ex used to say "stop acting like a bitch and i won't have to call you a bitch" Wrong. That is called the blame-game and is not attractive either. I have 50/50 custody of 3 young kids from a multi millionaire who continues to claim things as does Mr Baldwin. All unthruths without any substantiation. The police went to the school because my 5 year old said his Dad hit him in the leg and punched him. This happened after the chldren had been with their DAD for 5 days. Yet I got a letter from him claiming I was to blame because I am brain washing and poisioning their minds and holding the kids Hostage. All just words, hateful inflammatory remarks with no substantiation. It is always someone elses fault. He is alienating his kids all on his own in many different ways like taking them out of town on his weekends so they can't play soccer or baseball, go to birthday parties etc, letting them down on things constantly ... those are not my faults. Blame Game. ALienation is next. Accountability stands strong with me. He has millions of dollars from NY real estate trust funds and I took not a pillow from his house yet he continues to drag me and engage me to keep this battle of his ongoing. The ones that get hurt are the innocent kids in between. Alec Baldwins frustrations should never have been unleashed at his daughter and tells me much of his character and temperment. Grow up and give up the control you no longer hold in both their lives. Take accountability.

liltamborine

I am married to Joe, who has an ex-wife who created a similar situation with his two children and himself when they got their divorce. For those of you who can't understand Alec's anger and lashing out, let me explain what happened with my step children. They were very young when my husband and his ex divorced, because she had primary custody and moved over 200 miles away she had a way of keeping him from them and the regular visitations weren't enforced by the court who mandated them in the first place. She, in the meantime, fed the children her contrived version of memories about their father. They're grown with children of their own and their bastardized memories remain with them. Alec is justified in his frustrations. If his situation doesn't change soon...he too will be estranged from a grown child who only has her mother's version of the events to remember.

A good mother

What Alec did was wrong by any definition. He choose the life of celebrity. With that comes a public personal life. I don't feel sorry for him that it 'leaked'. I have watched my husband go through the same thing with his daughter. His ex-wife played the same games. As much as it hurt him, he continued to call even if she didn't take the call. She is now 16 and has a good relationship with her father. If he can't control his emotions now, what is he going to be like when she is MORE independent as a 16-year old? Take his rights, he doesn't deserve them.

Rebecca

Both parents need counselling. Kim, how dare you leak such potentially damaging information. Alec, there is no excuse. In my life I have never heard anyone speak to anyone with such venom, let alone a father speaking to a young child. It's sick is what it is. I would not let that man near my child again. In fact, I might be willing to do whatever I had to, to keep my child safe from a man like that. And then he has the nerve to make excuses for it, as if his behavior is in any way justifiable. My heart aches for that little girl.

Lawgrl

So this phone message and everything has been out for a while. Rosie interviewed Alec on the view and many people have been expressing how unfortunate it is that Alec's breaking point (and many people think understandable breaking point) was caught on tape and disseminated to the public.

I just wish people would remember -- unless you personally know Kim B, Alec B or Ireland very intimately, none of us has any idea of what is going on here.

Would a dad that can be properly categorized as abusive say the stuff Alec was caught saying to his daughter? I think so.

Could it also have come out of the mouth of a dad that was really a good guy who loved his daughter and was just pushed to the brink? I think that's also possible.

What I do feel bad about is that we have people commiserating with this guy who have no idea of whether or not he is actually an abusive dad. They assume he's not because he was caught in a trap for the unwary and maybe unfairly exposed.

If I were the gals on the View, a TV reporter anywhere, or anybody at all that people actually listened to, I would not like to be seen in the media telling him I understand and what he did was understandable. Because if it turns out that he is a mean, abusive dad, I'd hate to be seen by Ireland telling him his behavior was understandable. How isolating is that for her?

Bing Crosby was a great singer and lovable guy in lots of really really awesome movies who also abused his kids. It's rough when your abusive dad is a power house that everyone thinks is so perfect. Since I don't really know what Alec Baldwin is, I would not like to unqualifiedly defend (or condemn) him in the manner some have.

Been There

I had a verbally abusive parent. What Alec Baldwin did is NOT an isolated outburst, I would guarantee that. Seems to me that he feels like his daughter is starting to "agree" or "side" with the mother. So he is treating his daughter just like he would treat her mother. Treating her with Venom, Anger, and Contempt. Regardless of his anger at the situation those words that he said to her will stay with her so much longer that any smack or hit ever wood. One thing that I also noticed was it was all about HIM. I will give him that there was PROBABLY no real reason for missing the call.... forgetfullness, thoughtlessness whatever. BUT!!!! There was stil a chance that something really had come up. According to Alec though... HE was embarrassed, HE had to look like a jerk looking for a phone (Can't afford a cell phone???) How she made HIM fell. Not ONE mention of I really hate missing talking to you, or I hope nothing serious came up, please call me as soon as you can and let me know......NOPE... YOU made me LOOK STUPID!!! I gotta say if he even acted 1/10 like that in other areas of his realtionship with his daughter..... I WOULD NOT TALK TO HIM EITHER!!!! Everyone makes mistakes, some have a much higher price that others. This is between Kim and Alec, what he said to his daughter was WAY WAY out of line.

mooney

What a sick abusive person he is, or ANY parent mother or father that would talk that way to a child should lose parental rights....Does anyone think that maybe he was like this with her in the past and perhaps that is why she doesnt want to talk to him!!...He is well known in Hollywood to have a vile temper..I would stay far away from him too.Kim was right in Divorcing him!...He doesnt deserve his child, I dont care how spoiled she is she is still a child!!

Patricia

Abuse is so prevalent in this country that we can hardly recognize it. This is shameful. Alex Baldwin should be so shamed he cannot show his face..but no..he wants to add further abuse to his daghter and ex-wife by appearing on national television. This is like listening to OJ Simpson explain how he would have killed Nicole and Ron...bith abusive males who should even be allowed around children. Funny too, he needs to define his child exactly as he appears..as a thoughtless little pig.

Previous 15 Comments | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments