Celine & Elvis' "Idol" Duet from the Grave

4/23/2007 1:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Celine Dion and Elvis Presley"American Idol" will raise the dead on Wednesday and feature a performance with Celine Dion and ... Elvis Presley?!

While "A.I." teased their "Idol Gives Back" charity benefit by revealing that "two of the biggest stars in musical history come together," sources at last week's taping tell TMZ that Celine sang Elvis Presley's hit, "If I Can Dream" -- with an Elvis impersonator! Ugh! But we're told the impersonator was just used as a stand-in, and what you will actually see when the show airs is Celine singing with a virtual Elvis -- in the vein of Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole's "Unforgettable." Unbelievable!

At the taping, the remaining "Idol" wannabes also sang with Celine and Elvis, but as backup in the choir. Hallelujah! Elvis died nearly thirty years ago, while Celine has been singing at Caesars Palace in Vegas for the last four.

"Idol Gives Back" will help raise money to fight extreme poverty in the U.S. and Africa, and feature artists like Gwen Stefani, P!nk and Josh Groban.

A rep for "American Idol" could not be reached.

Ellen

I think it was well put together, the voices also sounded great and I have never been an Elvis nor a Celine fan but can you imagine the time it took to do this? No need to put the performance down just hope that maybe one day someone would want to raise up a dead hater-it might just be you!

Paul (PRO) Olson

My wife and I love Celine. Let me know if we can adopt her into our family. Great video with Elvis. I had no doubt Celine could pull this off, and surprize everyone with the quality of video magic! Love You Celine.

Paul (PRO) Olson

We love you Celine! You have a talent beyond compare. I'd love to give you a ride on a Harley through Sturgis this year. You are a big hit anywhere. Love You, PRO

Catherine Pahsetopah

celine is pretty good, but let's face, it she is outclassed big time. I am a lifer when it comes to Elvis. NO ONE has any business singing any Elvis songs period. Make no mistake, "If I Can Dream" is strictly Elvis! He is and always will be the KING of ROCK &ROLL! He has sold over a billion records which no one else can do, he has sold more than Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Michael Jackson,and the Beatles - COMBINED! He is the Artist of the 20th century. He is the most BEAUTIFUL man i have ever seen, and has the most beautiful voice i have ever heard, the true American Idol! Thanks idol, Catherine, #1 Elvis fan

Wayne Barker Jr

Last night, they say Celine is a great singer, well that's a matter of taste, But the deut with Elvis well those of you that watched the show, it was, is and proved once again that Elvis Presley even in Death is the Greatest bar none, nobody will ever reach the plataue of Elvis, nobody, and for you hater's out there, this is just a plain in your face fact that you are going to have to learn to cope/deal with, he left this earth way to young,and I dont care what artist you are if Elvis were alive today, he would be 72 and if he walked out on any stage with any artist of any jondra of music he would steal the show, He will forever be The King of Rock and for the matter The King of all Music, until the end of Time.

Lucy

It was the most touching part of the whole show.@ of the most incredible singers in the whole world.

somethingtolaughabout

It was unbelievably GREAT!! I just can’t get over how much I enjoyed it. It makes me wish Elvis was in my era. It could be a new hit!

Bethy

I think Celine did a wonderful job with Elvis (The King) last night on American Idol. It was a great surprise for my sister in Georgia and myself. We are still avid Elvis fans and love to see him on the TV any time they run any part of his life. I also love Celine, so paring them up last might was a real treat. Loved it.

srp

I thought Celine and Elvis was great!

Trudeypat

Celine is no less of singer simply because she does not write songs...any more than Willie Nelson is less of a songwriter, just because he sings through his nose.

The two talents can stand together...or unique and separate.

Ive never been a Celine fan, even though Im a Canadian.
But I have to say she did a heck of a good job last night singing harmony with Elvis's hologram, and I wish I could find the download site for it somewhere, Id like to watch it again.
Shes more talented than I previously thought.

Lilarose

OK, folks, sorry about your comments?

I thought it was fantastic! I would love to know how this performance was done.

Me and my generation made Elvis what he became--the King. I bought his first record at my father's "record shop," and I had every one of his singles and LP's until my then new hubby threw them out (worth a few thou). He also sold my 56 Chevy two door hardtop convertible (turquoise and cream). He's been my ex-hubby since 1973 and I have chosen not to go that route again.

When Elvis was filming "Meet Me at the World's Fair" in Seattle in the early 1960's, I saw him on the fairgrounds riding in a train-like conveyance with all his buddies/body guards. All in black. The guys were pulling people out of the crowd who were holding up 33 rpm record album covers. They are the ones who got the autographs and got to ride the train for a short distance.

Mike H.

All of you people who think that if you don't write your own songs, then you're no good....chill out. Did you ever think that some songwriters don't have a good singing voice or any voice at all? Might as well get someone who can sing to get your message out there. Otherwise all you have is just words on paper. It doesn't do anybody any good. So, it's a good thing that we have vocal performers who are willing to sing other people's songs. Think before you speak.

montana mike

elvis was-is-and always be the king, and i didn't know if that duo would work--believe me-it worked. elvis had the more powerful voice, but celine went above and beyond for her part--lots of negative stuff about this, but for me-it was great.
LONG LIVE ELVIS

Betsy

2 very talented artists, no matter where Celine was born. Admit it, she stands alone. Just like Aretha and Babs, and of course .... Elvis.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments