Celine & Elvis' "Idol" Duet from the Grave

4/23/2007 1:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Celine Dion and Elvis Presley"American Idol" will raise the dead on Wednesday and feature a performance with Celine Dion and ... Elvis Presley?!

While "A.I." teased their "Idol Gives Back" charity benefit by revealing that "two of the biggest stars in musical history come together," sources at last week's taping tell TMZ that Celine sang Elvis Presley's hit, "If I Can Dream" -- with an Elvis impersonator! Ugh! But we're told the impersonator was just used as a stand-in, and what you will actually see when the show airs is Celine singing with a virtual Elvis -- in the vein of Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole's "Unforgettable." Unbelievable!

At the taping, the remaining "Idol" wannabes also sang with Celine and Elvis, but as backup in the choir. Hallelujah! Elvis died nearly thirty years ago, while Celine has been singing at Caesars Palace in Vegas for the last four.

"Idol Gives Back" will help raise money to fight extreme poverty in the U.S. and Africa, and feature artists like Gwen Stefani, P!nk and Josh Groban.

A rep for "American Idol" could not be reached.

larry ward

I can't remember any songs Tony Bennett wrote!!!
larry ward South Dakota

Mr DL

I loved the Celine, Elvis, number. Celine is one of the greatest female vocalists of all time. Right up there with Barbra Streisand and Karen Carpenter. Thank you Celine, you are fabulous !

Kentucky

Celine is THE BEST singer of our time to date! Elvis will always be THE KING!
This was the best performance of any last night. NO ONE could have done this better than CELINE!
Her voice is the greatest. I have YET to hear her "crack" at any time.....if people do not think she is a GREAT singer then they really need HEARING AIDS! LOL

Jan Pootemans

Nobody can or could fill a stage like Elvis death or alive the proof was there!!
Just look at the man and you will realize how special he truly was and still is.
He is one of those persons you never expected to die.....but he did!
For hose who where not there in 1977 let me tell you, and those who where there know, on august 16 the world stood still it truly stopped when the annoucement was broadcasted the Elvis was death!
Loved Celine Dion but would have preferred Streisand because standing next to Elvis is a hard thing to do.
greetings from Belgium!!!

celinedreams

Celine did it again! But this time, it was something (technologically) revolutionary. She already sang a duet with Sinatra who was well dead at the time, but the hologram Elvis is so much more real.

I don't know how it was done, but I think that it might have important consequences for the entertainment industry and the Hollywood in particular. I'm sure that in the near future we'll see new kind of movies in the movie theaters where stars like Marilyn Monroe, etc
will be revived to play new material. Bravo, Celine!

Larry , Montral

Hey guys take it easy, some people are born to write songs, some are made to sing them. You rarely find artists who can do both. Neither SInatra, Elvis nor Julio or Celine write their own; and thank God Rogers and Hammerstein didn't sing what they wrote.
I found the performance spectacular. Celine is a big fan of Elvis and Elvis never heard her sing. If you didn't like it turn off the TV and let others enjoy in peace.....remember: The pursuit of Happiness !!

mesohorny

OH PUUUUUUKE. GO BACK TO CANADA RUN!!!!!! FASTER!!!!!!!FASTER!!!!!!YUCKO!!

J@d

Well Leah C it shows just how much you know about Céline! = nada,niet,squat...

DONNA P.

I think that the song that Celine Dion did w/Elvis Presley was just awsome !!!!!! The young folks don't appriciate GREAT when they see it !!!!!!!! I loved it !!!!!!!!!

Andrew Darlow

This was an amazing performance. I just bought the video on iTunes and played it three times in a row. As an imaging professional, I'm sure that an incredible amount of work went into the audio and video. In my opinion it came across almost as though it was real, and I enjoyed it more than any other performance (except maybe Jack Black) this year so far on American Idol.

Andrew Darlow
Editor, The Imaging Buffet

jean

WOW i saw the performance it was truely amazing. Well planned, she wore back he work white, same type of microphone. Celine is such a performer. She works so hard.

Sandra

Celine is the BEST singer in the world, i don't care what anyone says!!! NO other voice can compare to hers and as far as I'm concerned, the americans ARE very jealous!!! BROVO celine, the show was FANTASTIC and if Elvis could have seen, he would have been proud!

ps:Celine's talent is exceptional and she does'nt need to write her own music. I'm sure all her song writers are happy about that as they would all be out of jobs!

Corr

You Americans that are Celine haters are a joke. She is one of the biggest selling artists of all time. You only wish you could call her your own. Not everything great comes from the USA, shocking I know but someone has to break the news to you guys. You don't have to write your own songs to be considered the Greatest. There are a lot of writers that can't sing worth a damn but a song requires many parts to make it great. The writer, the singer and of course the best producer money can buy, "David Foster"!! Oh wait......he's Canadian too!!!!!!!! Jealousy will get you nothing.

Lola Saffioti

I understand the concept of making it appear the illusion that Elvis was doing the duet with Celine but we all know that Elvis is not with us, I know that there was a stand in doing the actions. That stand in used is a well known excellent Elvis Entertainer who is a master at his craft and I believe he should be given credit where credit is due by at least having his name mentioned and acknowledged. His name for anybody who does not know and should know is Ryan Pelton.

LegendKiller87

The segment with Celine and Elvis was a great idea. Here you have two of the greatest vocalists of all time combined for one awesome performance. For anyone who was ever seen Elvis' '68 Comeback Special (the show in which the "Elvis" body clip was taken from) you know that Elvis was only shown from the front. Therefore, during the Idol performance only the front views of Elvis were actually Elvis. But, the shots from the back and side were someone other than Elvis. I happen to know the guy who was the stand in for this segment. His name is Ryan Pelton, and he is from Ohio, but is currently working in Myrtle Beach, SC. He is one of the best Elvis Tribute Artists out there. I did think it was unfair that American Idol did not even give credit to his name before/after the performance or even in the credits! I understand they wanted to give off the illusion of "Elvis" but Ryan was nice enough to help them out, and he didn't recieve any credit for it. American Idol made a huge mistake there. Once again his name is Ryan Pelton, and he was the stand in for Elvis on the American Idol segment.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments