Sanjaya's Mom

Popped for

Growing Piles of Pot

4/25/2007 6:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0426_sanjaya_mom_mugshot-1Maybe that's why Sanjaya's always got that goofy grin on his face! Turns out that Sanjy's mom, Jillian Blith, used to be a pot-growing potentate -- and that his sister Shyamali was no stranger to the art of toking herself.

The Momjaya was pinched by the Pierce County Sheriff's Department in February 2005 in Pierce County, Wash. after they found 310 marijuana plants -- and the Sis-jaya keeping watch with a bag of weed and "smoking devices" -- in the Malakar family garage, as the National Enquirer first smoked out today.

But -- buzzkill -- Shyamali, who was arrested for possession, directed the cops to another green-growing facility nearby, where they arrested Blith and her husband, Charles Quist (Sanjaya's stepdad). Quist's mugshot, obtained by TMZ, bears a striking resemblance to Gary Sinise, a very blitzed Gary Sinise. (We're told there's a mugshot of Shyamali, but it can't be made public because she was only 17 at the time of the bust.)

Celeb Mugshots gallery: Click to launch photos

Blith could've gone to jail for up to five years after pleading guilty to one felony count of unlawful manufacturing of a controlled substance, but got off with a relatively mellow 30-day sentence.

Just one word more: Ganja-ya!

Cari7000

Is this the REAL reason Sanjaya got booted...? If so its pathetic.....why bash a kid for something his mother has done....also what Sanjaya has put up with was enough to drive anyone to distraction.

If they were broke maybe they were needing money.....its easy to point fingers....until its you that is suffering.....

Poor Sanjaya...I hope he becomes really famous and keeps his'bring it on' attitude.....he pretty much has told everyone to ''shove it''' by being so laissez faire about all the hating

GO SANJAYA

Norma

It is so sad that some people enjoy digging deep to find dirt in other people's life, specially if that person (in this case this boy, Sajaya) is having a good time in his young life.
To me, this is disgusting, very low and disgusting!

MaRyMaRyGirl

Must set some of you straight about what Sanjaya is all about!...He is one talented and fascinating young dude!...Those of you that can not carry one damn note are jealous of him!...The ones that can and haven't made it, even to American Idol, are jealous as well, and perhaps it is because you haven't had the courage to put yourself out there like Sanjaya has. Sure, we all know he is not the greatest singer for his age, or for the American Idol show, but he didn't do bad with a few of his songs, and his performances, ...including, 'You Really Got Me'. What makes him as hot as he has been, is the performance he gives!...He can entertain!...He wouldn't have stayed aboard that show as long as he did, or wouldn't have been a worldwide household name had he not been unique in his style, his looks, his entertaining ability, etc. Take a look at all these stars, celebutants that made it big...Just a few examples...Madonna, Mick Jagger, Prince, Anna Nicole, Paris Hilton, etc....The reason they made it big, and are a household name is, and stay in the news, etc.....They all put themselves out there, creating an image for themselves, this sort of style...whatever it is that America and the rest of the world find fascinating,....they have a uniqueness unlike no other.....and they are bold, daring, and most of all entertaining performers.....Can any of them sing real well....Maybe?....Maybe not?.....What the media is interested in is what they do, where they cross the line in their performing ability, their fashion, their singing, their style., their movements, etc.....These particular individuals I mentioned are all unique, that is what Hollywood, the media, and people in the business are looking for!...They normally do not look for the everyday Jills and Joes. They see a face with that certain look, certain performance like no other, etc. In many of these cases, with many of these celebrities, they all had something to give the public, and it all amounts to some type of amusement or entertainment, some type of show/performance on their part, which has been truly unique!...Doesn't always matter if they can sing, dance, or even look, or act like you, or anyone else wants them to act.....The question IS....'Do they have this unique style in any way that people find fascinating?'... Well, Sanjaya is just that...FASCINATING!...He had the courage to put himself out there, even though, he may not even believe he is all that, but one thing he did that all of these other unique and successful celebrities did before him, and that IS...HE BELIEVED IN HIMSELF! If you think about how many people that can sing even half way decent, dance well, act well, have athletic abilities, but fail to believe in themselves and put them self out there on the line....Yeah, like, ...GIVE IT A REAL GO IN THEIR LIVES!...I would guess that less than half the people in this world really has what it takes within themselves to get up enough guts to really go for their dreams, especially, performing in front of thousands, and yet millions of people nationwide and world wide!...THINK ABOUT THAT SOME OF YOU, who continue to cut this young man down. He is doing what he loves, and that is to perform, to entertain you, whether you think he is funny, or he makes you cry, makes you excited, etc...He is entertaining you to the best he knows how!...No one said, you must love his performance, or him, but you should give him some credit for at least trying, and coming this far, and at his young age!..He is, no doubt, living his dream!...That is more than I can say for most people in this world!...What are you doing to live your dreams, by making them become a reality?....Think about that for a moment before any of you put a young Indian boy down for doing nothing more than living his dreams and doing all he can to entertain you, when some of you have nothing else going in your hum-drum lives!...(And I don't mean all of you, but the ones here that want to sound like they know this boy personally, and judge him for only trying to be happy in his life, and make others happy as well). Obviously, the ones here-and-in this world that want to judge, should do so, by first taking a look in the mirror, and ask yourself this, "Am I happy in what I am doing with my life, and am I giving it all I got to make others happy as well?" If the answer to that is no, then you may find you are jealous of this young man for being happy, for living his dreams, and unhappy and full of hate and rage, as you do not make a every day effort to do your best to be positive and happy yourselves!...Many of you may go through your lives living in fear, full of hate, depressed, and disgusted with your own self, or others for your own wrong doings, regrets, ...all your negativity you give off, and think about it, ...that is REAL SAD!...It doesn't have to be that way, as hate only breeds hate in this world!...Take it from the late John Lennon when he wrote and sang....'You

Madeleine

I have been to Sanjays website from the beginning, they tell you not to use bad language and rant about things that have nothing to do with Idol because Sanjaya DOES NOT run that site, Team Sanjaya is a group of fans that run the site. I saw no pot decorations and didn't see anything pertaining to pot on the site. I did see some pictures of Sanjaya, the same kind they have on other websites of Sanjaya fans, that is NOT his personal website. When Sanjayas Mother was busted Sanjaya was 14 years old. I think its kind of stupid to expect a 14 year old to do anything about what his parents do. I think its low to print a story dedicated to hurting a 14 year old boy who is now still underaged at 17. I know what these rag newspapers are all about but that one surprised me. As for the gay thing, One of the posters here is right, East Indian men do have some effeminate traits, they are also into looking good and smelling good and that doesn't make them gay. I see we have a couple of Perez Hiltons rejects here, the usual sophmoric assholios who just post to get attention, they think they're cool, LOL
Au Contraire, you look like jealous little weasels who are homophobic jerks and its getting old. Back to the pink message board for you.

Mary

Harvey Levin....

Hi Harvey!

Even though this UNDER-AGE person (17 years of age) has been on American Idol and, of course, has acquired fame, I do not feel his photo should be included with that of his mom and step-dad on these articles regarding marijuana.

Just my thought as a mother of a (now) college student....

creep

HAHA!
Ganja-ya has actual fans?? shocking!

Rick

Okay Let's turn off this trash website and not support this kind of people ruining attempts.
Very very LAME

greg

Is this story really 2 years old. Who cares then. I thought is was interesting, when I thought it just happened.
Sanjaya isn't running for president, yet!

Cadence

I met Sanjaya, his mom Jil and his sister yesterday when they were shopping in Beverly HIlls, they came into a shop I work at. They were all pleasantly sweet and down to earth, a really nice normal family. How horrible to write stuff like this about his mom, she appeared to be a great and supportive mom. Sanjaya was so sweet, he was full of smiles and the whole fame thing has not gotten to his head one bit, he acted like a normal person, a gentleman, he and his sis agreed to take pictures with us and they were super cool and genuine, they could have been snobby and not nice, but they were the opposite and we got to like him even more after meeting him and his family in person. After reading this I felt bad due to the fact that I met them and they were nothing but good people looking to make their son live out his dream of being a singer. Writing nasty things about one's mom is the lowest form of insult to a person. I have nothing but love for him, his mom and sis, they left a good impression on me and my co-worker. I hope one day he will have a successful album like Daughry, I'll be sure to buy it cause he is really something special.

Madeleine

#124 Peacemomma, I won't chip in but I have a shoe and a swift kick that will send Eurotrash to Europe on the red ass overnight express super fast.

Madeleine

#184 Who cares

You must care, you're posting. You must feel pretty superior for the first time in your life, hang on to the felling because it won't last long and tomorrow you'll be hunting down more stories about Sanjaya to make you feel good about yourself. Pathetic. You looking for a job? hang around the courts and the records that are open to the public and you too can pull up dirt and run a rag of a newspaper or an online blog that tells all about 14 year old boys. That should be right up your alley. You pimply faced drop outs are getting on my nerves. This story is making me sick and the people who can find anything bad to say about this boy in this situation, whether he can sing or not , whether you like him or not, this story is just plain wrong and this story along with the alec Baldwin story is irresponsible reporting ,no matter what kind of venue it is in. You can throw in the Larry Birkhead had a gay lover story posted the week before he was to take his daughter home with him. It's just cruel and it doesn't make for good reading it just makes people mad and sad. I have always liked this site, its a fun site usually, this story is beneath anyone who prints it. We aren't old what is going on in the world or in our Government, its alla secret and we are not privy to any of that important information but his is front page news, this will cheer us up alright, at least it will cheer up the likes of "who cares" and thats a sad commentary on some of the people here who gloat over a sad tale like this. This story will pass and I don't think it will be brought up again by anone except these people who feel the need to down some kid who tries to better himself, if you think he can't sing, don't vote for him, a lot of people did vote for him, live with it. These are the same people who will probably go to the tour and boo him even though the voting is over. A sad pathetic lot. I personally think he was better than some of the contestants on that show, I'd rather see him than Phil Stacey if you want to know the truth, that idiotic hat, the man is friggin bald and looks like Nosferatu, is that the American Idol whole package? I think not, but I'm not going to going into every board and start downing him mercilessly. I'd rather hear and watch Sanjaya sing really. He didn't hurt a thing on that show, if anything he kept the ratings up, everyone who should be on that show is still on there, and everyone who should go on that tour is going so whats the big deal?. I just can't figure out why so many people have jumped on the hate Sanjaya bandwagon. The show is boring, the Give back show was boring and next weeks show will be boring, you win.

givemeabreak

I looked through all the comments and couldn't find the one I left yesterday. So you judged it inappropriate? Why? Because I told you that TMZ is gossip trash? Well, here's my comment again about your story, with minor changes as to not offend your "ears".

My comment was: "Come on! Give me a break. TMZ you are ridiculous. You're
just an electronic version of a sensations paper like National Enquirer, which means I give you no credibility whatsoever. We all know that National Enquirer invents all their stories. Now, come on, look at this mugshot. We saw Sanjaya's mother on American Idol and she doesn't look at all like the woman on this picture. There's not even a close resemblance. You are so dumb!!! "

There. Can you take it? I don't believe at all your story about Sanjaya's mother.

fullcirclefreak

I believe the negative comments come from jealousy or just plain bullying. After all, if you don't have something positive to say shouldn't you just keep your mouth shut.

givemeabreak

What is there positive to say about TMZ? Really?

squeeler