Rapper Backs Off "Snitching" Comments

4/26/2007 2:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cam'ronCam'ron is apologizing for his comments on Sunday's "60 Minutes," where he told Anderson Cooper that he wouldn't turn in a serial killer if he were living next door to one. Good thing he doesn't host a radio show.

As part of a story about snitching, Cam'ron said, "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.'" Word?

In a statement, Cam'ron tried to explain what he said, "Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality."

Cam'ron went on -- "Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime," the rap star said in a statement issued today. "Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

who cares?

good example why there will always be a getto

j9

I do not for one minute believe this is sincere

Keonli

I understand where he is coming from. My neighborhood recently became an attraction for gangs. Sunday night we heard gunshots and I called the police. Why? Because I know that even if I "snitch," I'll put a stop to these stupid thugs and make the neighborhood safer for my elderly mother, my unborn son, my husband, and myself. But half of my neighbors didn't cooperate because they didn't want to get involved. Why fear the police when they're trying to help? I've confronted these idiot thugs and they're just little boys with no education. I'm not scared of them.

hurl

Maybe it's because the people that could snitch are wanted by police themselves.

Buster

Who gives a crap what he says? Because he has street cred? Because he is the voice of youth? If they don't want to participate in their community and make their lives better, then let them continue to live like hood rats. Let Jessie and Al bring them out of their slums. Just don't do it with my taxes. How about a personal responsibility campaign? How about a "do the right thing" marketing blitz? How about a take care of you community slogan? No lets blame the white people for all of your problems. Only people that study hard can break the cycle of poverty. But no one wants to study hard right? That is looked down upon.

SuperStarSteve

Never having lived next door to a serial killer, I'm not sure what I'd do exactly, but fearing for my own life I'd probably have to tell somebody on the DL. Why does America find it so hard to believe that in some areas people live in fear for their own survival. I think that's what this guy was talking about, not enabling a serial murderer, but enabling himself to make it to another day.

Karen Walker

Yeah right , like this drug dealing loser managed to put all those words together!

Traycee

He just REALLY needs to STFU!!!

cleveland1

CAMRON IS A FRIGGIN IDIOT!!! I DON'T THINK HE IS SINCERE AT ALL!! HE'S TRYING TO CLEAN THIS MESS UP NOW, BECAUSE OF PRESSURE FROM THE RECORD COMPANY!!!

Della

10. good example why there will always be a getto

Posted at 1:49PM on Apr 26th 2007 by j

He was not sincere in his apology. "they" are their own worst enemies.

Jim

What an Idiot....Your A Great Role Model For Our Kids....

Morenike

I can see why he would say those comments. His decision may not be right but you have to think about the enviroment that he lived in. "Snitching" is a good way to get you killed.

Boo Hoo

"not snitching", what a Jack A$$, he is a cancer to this country, and anyone else that belives in that .

That figures

Cam'ron is a second rate rapper at best. Why the hell is he even on a news show like 60 minutes?

Oh and I LOVE how TMZ allows for people to make racist comment about minorities, but the second you try to comment on white people it doesn't get posted. Good job on the censorship TMZ!!

Sylvia

Why is it that these celebrities when they give a comment they don't explained themselves correctly and later on they are oh I didn't mean to say that.

Come on are you that stupid that you don't hear yourself in what you are saying.