Rapper Backs Off "Snitching" Comments

4/26/2007 2:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cam'ronCam'ron is apologizing for his comments on Sunday's "60 Minutes," where he told Anderson Cooper that he wouldn't turn in a serial killer if he were living next door to one. Good thing he doesn't host a radio show.

As part of a story about snitching, Cam'ron said, "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.'" Word?

In a statement, Cam'ron tried to explain what he said, "Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality."

Cam'ron went on -- "Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime," the rap star said in a statement issued today. "Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

Karen Walker

Hey Ayo-Leroy..........please you don't really believe this really said this do you?? If so, your as dumb as dirt!

tba

He's one more individual who has no moral compass this country has produced.

johnlance

He is fixated at being a poor ghetto kid which he is not. He has not developed to the point where he should recognize that he is no longer a con but a rich successful member of society and in order to belong as a human being its his job to create a role model for all the young people who have made him rich. Cut the noncense that police are the enemy. You guys with wise ass talk bring on most of the reaction from the cops. Instead of answering respectfully they mouth off which escalates into a horror show. Why don't you take lessons and teach those who like your music how to behave and to respect men who work for a living and have to contend with guys who carry guns and have attitude. You ought to be ashamed of yourself and for your children. You want a safe place for you and your family don't you? You don't want your loved ones murdered and the murderer to get away with it do you? Your black brothers are fighting and dying in Iraq and you shame them.

Sandy

Cam'ron got called out on this one and that is probably the only reason he changed his tune. He has the power to make a change in his community and beyond using his celebrity.

myview

Ah Cam'ron now you get to do the 30 day rehab thing !! Please don't tell me you speak for all of your people cause you may need the dance team of Sharpton and Jackson.. I grew up in the poor streets of Brooklyn and Queens and I'm white and still poor but you don't speak for me.. If someone is killing another (even you) I will call the police .. thank you very much.. I sure do hope that you stay well and never need assistance from the cops..

johnlance

You shame your black brothers who are fighting in Iraq and those who have given their lives. You live in the past and think like a Con. Your not. You are an idol to many young people and have to set an example. Your comments against police officers is without sense. Would you want your loved ones killed and no one snitch on the killer? You would be living in a world of horror from which you escaped. Leave it and give back to society what has been given to you. Get some education on how to behave now that you are a success.

johnlance

Camron, you still live and think like a Con. Your not. You now have entered the main stream and become an American. Do you want to live on the old planet you came from? Drugs, Prison, Death all around you? Man you gave it up when you arrived. You are a role model and your people need one. Better get to school and learn what you have to know about being a role model. People think your dumb I don't. Telling youngsters not to snitch on killers is crazy and you know it. If someone killed your loved one you would want them to get away with it because the person who saw it will not snitch since you told so. It may come back to haunt you.

A

#73/something --- R U kidding me? You chastise someone for insulting a whole race and you turn around and do the exact same thing!!! didnt do much to make your point - whatever that was

Nance

What exactly is a "HOOD" what types of PPL live there??????????

Karen Walker

Hey #76 bkstylz...........If your from the streets........where did you get the PC? Part of the street cred of being from the streets is being deprived of the things that the rest of us have!

Jenny

I saw the interview and I wonder how hard Anderson had to fight to keep a straight face. Anderson has dealt with mercenaries, terrorists, been to so many war zones and had bombs dropped within trowing distance. Cam'ron sat there with a smirk explaining "how thing are". He's just a dumb punk, whose not a very good rapper, so he a schtick like "stop snitching" to try and give himself some credibility.

try2befair

in other words...be cowards. All that rap crap tough language is really all about a bunch of cowards unwilling and cowering to crime. What a bunch of fakes. Tough people stand up for the good of society....rap on that!

dc

He needs to change his name to Mor'ron

my opinion

Not reporting crime and criminals makes for a perfect world to the rappers and the black community? Why is it the minute the rappers make the big bucks the first stop is a jewelry store and the next place is to move to an upscale area with huge houses with enourmous security systems. This is cruel and unjust for neighbors to not help each other. These rappers and their messages are for losers who will continue to buy cd's, not speak english, and only want the downfall of their own community.

A

#82=karen walker
U should care! that is what is happening and how many innocent ppl are killed just because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time?