Rapper Backs Off "Snitching" Comments

4/26/2007 2:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cam'ronCam'ron is apologizing for his comments on Sunday's "60 Minutes," where he told Anderson Cooper that he wouldn't turn in a serial killer if he were living next door to one. Good thing he doesn't host a radio show.

As part of a story about snitching, Cam'ron said, "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.'" Word?

In a statement, Cam'ron tried to explain what he said, "Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality."

Cam'ron went on -- "Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime," the rap star said in a statement issued today. "Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

Cece

I think it's sad to see so many on here taking Camron's statements and using them as an excuse to express obvious hatred for Blacks. Anyone with sense knows that "Stop Snitching" is a marketing campaign and not the way normal people in the Black community think. There is a truthful distrust of the police in our communities, but we do still call them. Snitching was and always has been criminals telling on each other, not the general community reporting crimes. When people defend rap and say it does not influence how people think, I will refer them to this site to show how it influences people on the OTHER side, not just the young kids. Also, I assume you are all older than the teens they showed from the church group and therefore can remember being young and wanting to be "in". Those kids were not speaking about their truthful lives, they were saying what they think will make them look like part of the hip hop culture. Please think before you all choose to use Camron's words to lump all the Black community in with these ignorant crappers. And PLEASE stop believing all crappers represent us, they do not.

By Nettie

I thank they should push the NO SNITCH . Make It real plain that that Is wrong to tell the cops anything . And why !!!!!! Because there is more blacks being killed . And if they can't find the killer he is free to kill more. The black are just hurting them self .

brown recluse

A REAL PAIN IN THE A$$!

Tami

I think it is sad to think in America you have to be afraid to call the police if you have witnessed a crime. I do bellieve that in some neighborhoods that happens. I think it is horrible that you have to live with that type of fear.
I think that number #1's comments, say something positive that can be done, not just by Cam'ron but many people and law enforcement.

Chicago Dan

I don't believe that Cam'ron is sufficiently articulate to have authored this statement and apology!

JJ

Why the hell was this illiterate jerk off on 60 Minutes? I missed the step n' fetchit segment.

try2befair

The ironic thing about it, is that he's talking about being afraid of the people in the "hood". Isn't he talking about black people? Hmmm, a black guy not wanting to snitch on a criminal who's black because the black "hood" criminal will kick his black ass? And where can they blame whites for their problems?

4realnow

-All abusers tell their victims to keep quiet...it's how they continue to perpetrate the hate..

Lenn K.

What do you say? Don Imus is gone hasn't all the problems in the black community gone with him? Hell no! The real problems in the black community is well let's just be real, black men don't lead. You can say racism, poor folks, lack of education and even healthcare. But the true problem in the black community is black men don't put their ladies and families first. They will die for crack, die a buddy, die for rap, but they won't die for their wives and kids. See this is very simple look at other races they do, look at blacks they don't. I know this piss off blacks, but the truth hurts and Jesse and Al have never been truthful. Stop blaming white folks for your problems, look in the mirror and then and only then go can go forward!!!!!!!

JJason

"Neighborhoods like mine.." um, sure. you mean the gated community in Hollywood Hills? yeah right. Here we go with this, "his own reality and how he sees it." The only reality they see is $$$$$$$$$. He meant what he said. He is retracting his statement now because his record label demanded he do it.

These communities are struggling, and the black community and impoverished communities are essentially handing over the keys to the murderers, thugs, & thieves. There are more constructive ways to address this horrible social problem than this, "Stop Snitching" BS. I am sooooooo disgusted with the music industry right now. It's all garbage.

newsflash

If he had used the example 'paedophile' instead of 'serial killer' he would be getting back-slapped, not forced to make an apology.

The attitude he is describing is not confined to Afro-American culture by any means, but it was only predictable that the race issue would be brought into it.

val

AND WHEN HIS MOM, WIFE, CHILD ARE A VICTIM BECAUSE SOME MORON LISTENED TO HIM ON THAT SHOW, HE CAN RETHINK TOO LATE WHAT AN ASSHOLE HE WAS. i HOPE HE MEETS THE SAME FATE OTHER VICTIMS HAVE AND LET THEM WALK THE STREET AFTERWARD WHILE HE'S DEAD OR DEFORMED. THE GUY IS A NO TALENT ASSHOLE WHO WANTS TO MAKE MONEY OFF VICTIMS BUT DOESN'T CARE TO PROTECT HIM. i HOPE HE LOSES ALL HIS FANS. HE SUCKS BAD.

LisaL

I didn't watch it, but just reading that he said something like that and got his publicist to write up an apology makes me sick.
That's just called cowardice. I've lived in bad neighborhoods before and you better believe I called the cops every single damn time something bad happened.
This whole mentality of letting criminals get away with crap just b/c you don't want to be looked upon as a snitch is just so freaking ignorant and just plain sad.
No wonder crime is up so much.
No wonder why every single night I watch the NEWS I always hear about multiple stories of someone getting shot and of course no one wants to come forward.

It's just sickening to think that people COULD be making a difference.. COULD be making their "ghettos" into safe areas, but choose not to b/c of pure ignorance.

Oh good one you are so tied-down and so miserable

This guy RAPPER /SPOKESPERSON was misunderstood,

I think he meant if you snitch you die and if don't snitch, sooner or later the criminal will come get you and you die.

He really meant if you snitch you die THE QUICKEST.

Now let's get to WHO DIES A WORST DEATH,

tHIS GHETTO (SAMPLING) SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH BY THE RAPPERS IS WORTH LOOKING INTO.

Interesting concept of theirs, they may not be so dumb after all.

Oh good one you are so tied-down and so miserable

But Black men are not scared of leaving their wives or dropping all including kids for a broom with a skirt.

The white man is afraid to do it beacuse of financial reasons.
All they do is chase.