Rapper Backs Off "Snitching" Comments

4/26/2007 2:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cam'ronCam'ron is apologizing for his comments on Sunday's "60 Minutes," where he told Anderson Cooper that he wouldn't turn in a serial killer if he were living next door to one. Good thing he doesn't host a radio show.

As part of a story about snitching, Cam'ron said, "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.'" Word?

In a statement, Cam'ron tried to explain what he said, "Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality."

Cam'ron went on -- "Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime," the rap star said in a statement issued today. "Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

big joe

ANOTHER GREAT BLACK ROLE MODEL TY AL.

do something about it

My comment was meant to be racist hell why not everyone else on this board is I was just letting you know that pretty much all human beings of every race are murders, rape children,sell drugs, ect. so your comment about my comment was a waste of space. I racist yep deal with it.

montana mike

black, white, or any other color, we all have ghettos, and talking to the police can get us or our families killed. everybody has their own idea about what to do, but if someone tells you they will kill your children if you snitch--well-that's when we all have to make up our mind what is right or what is wrong--this has nothing to do with color

Ellen

N!@@er please! I agree with #2, he didn't write that his publicist
did. He aint got the learnin' for that! He wouldn't snitch on a
serial killer because birds of a feather flock together. How many
people has he killed in drive by shootings?!

chigurl007

fake ass people, i bet a lot of you know somebody right now that is getting their ass beat daily by their boyfriend or husband, how many of you have called the police? I live in chicago, and if i see anyone standing on my corner i call the police always, but let me inform some of you naive white folks, some of the police are crooked! period. I know yall think that all cops all wholesome and upstanding, and some of them are, but the majority of them are the biggest drug dealers in the city (or country) now peep game: I called the police on a group of youths that were selling weed on my corner, eventually the cops came and "arrestted" them. It just so happen that I had to go around on the next block to pick some one up, and theses same cops were letting these dudes out in the alley, wtf! thats is why some people don't call the cops! ya better ask somebody, cops are the biggest gang in the city, Half the world saw the cop beat up that bartender in chicago and she was white, i can only imagine what they do to people no one cares about, yea what c said was retarded, but where he coming from i kinda feel him...p.s before you open your trap and insult someone because of where they live, remember, cops dont snitch on each other either, if you got enough heart and not enough balls to know why, ask one...

brown recluse

ALL RACES DO HAVE GHETTOS.WHITE FOLKS HAVE TRAILER PARKS,BLACK PEOPLE HAVE PROJECT BUILDINGS, INDAIN FOLKS HAVE RESERVATIONS OR HAD SHOULD I SAY. THE TRUTH IS NOBODY IS BETTER THAN THE NEXT. 9-11-O1 WE WERE ALL THE SAME WHEN THOSE TOWERS WERE HIT AND CAME DOWN. WE WERE ALL THE SAME LAST WEEK WHEN VT GOT BLASTED!! WE ARE ALL THE SAME UNDER THE SUN,MOON,AND STARS. AND FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE A COLOR COMPLEX.NEVER DATED OUTSIDE YOUR RACE, JUST SO YOU KNOW, WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE TURNED OFF, WE ARE ALL THE SAME. LOL! SOME ARE JUST BETTER THAN OTHERS. HEHEHEHE! LIGHTS OUT, BIG DADDY!!!!

Spell Check.

Won't you be. Won't you please. Please won't you be my neighbor.

Granny Pug

Do you really expect me to believe these (the apology) were his words???? C'mon now! As long as the "don't snitch" attitude exists, the crime will continue . . . so where are Al Sharpton & Jessie Jackson to tell their brothers they need to wake up????

AgentM

His eyes are VERY close together. I never trust the inbred.

chell

I was reading some of the comments and I've heard some about the "No Snitching", WHAT HAS AMERICA TURNED INTO???? All these messages we are sending out for our young to hear and see and then we say "WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR YOUNG TODAY?? What a question, is it about $$$$ or about the morals we should all have. As wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, who ever we are should take a stand and not give in to garbage.

Will Still

No I think his apology he was just saying this to save face how every celebirty does when they say somthing stupid I am from the PJ's and I know how it goes and alot of rappers over exagerate to make it seem worse than it may be Camron in my eye is one of the biggest disgraces to any black comunity by promoting the whole beef thing just doing things that make us as a people look savage or uneducated to society and it make me mad to see our race represented by this guy.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9