Ellen: "I WILL Take This Lyin' Down"

4/30/2007 4:13 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Ellen DeGeneres hurt her back over the weekend -- and it's so bad that she's doing this week's shows from a hospital bed!
Ellen in hospital bed
The bed will be placed center stage on Ellen's set. She'll lob questions at Ryan Seacrest and Lindsay Lohan from a supine position. Seacrest will appear on tomorrow's show and Lindsay will talk to the bed on Wednesday.

Ellen was scheduled to do a show on a Delta Airlines 767 later in the week. It was a big deal that was sponsored by American Express. But we're told that on doctor's orders, Ellen can't travel, so the trip will be rescheduled.

Ellen was also forced to cancel on a charity event Saturday in Chicago for the Make A Wish Foundation.

It's unclear how Ellen screwed up her back. She'll say on the air. By the way, her doctors will give the audience their official diagnosis.

Courtney

.. I think alot of this is promotional.
I don't think she's the type who would lie about it, but I doubt the bed rest is necessary. She says she "tore" something and did "something else to something" while bending over to pick up her dog....
Those injuries are generally mild... and the worst thing you can do is NOT move for ten days straight. Not moving is waaay overrated for everything but broken bones. It causes stiffening, tough scar tissue and soo many future problems.

The whole bed thing is definitly for promo or ratings or whatever. NO ONE can resist the lure of a sick famous person. Everyone wants to throw themselves at them with pity and empathy and even sympathy.

Plus... yeah the doctors like the 15 mins they're getting, they want to look good and obviously they are going to be giving her pain meds. ... Next thing, Ellen will be heading for rehab in a few months...

Hollywood is so predictable.

Carroll

I feel so bad for Ellen because I have back problems too. Mine's nothing like hers. I have osteoarthritis. Her appearance on her show, in a hospital bed, is proof that show business must go on. I admire her courage in light of what happened to her. I'm really glad that Portia was with her when this incident happened. I've had back pain that's so overwhelming, it made me cry but nothing like the screaming she did.
Hey Ellen, I hope you're better soon and....be careful from now on, with your back. It was great seeing her former DJ Tony, again.
Love, CM

Kathrens Comment

I think it's just awesome that she's determined to carry on even injured. The hospital bed on the set goes to show that she makes the best of a bad situation....I think it's humorous and shows real dedication.

montana

Ellen, love ya' and I can truly sympathize with ya' since i've got a bad back and have never been the same. I used to DJ and luggin around all that e-quip wuz the killer. You just do what they tell ya' rest up, take your rx's that's what they're there for in assisting you while you recoup. I think it is a fabu idea to do your show while at rest and shootin' 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. Your fans and viewers in deed care quite a bit about you and for you and want nothing more than to see you back on your feet. Take care and it's great having someone there (Portia) to soften the rough time right now and i'm sure your Mom is also making your pain a little less too. Ciao for now...........Montana C. from New York

Kelly

Ellen-

have your doctor get you an ActiPatch!!! It is a freaking miracle cure for pain due to swelling!

phil

How could anyone be sad that Jerry Falwell is dead?

Larry Flynt Isn't. Plus, I can bet you a million Ellen feels better spiritually :-D

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4