"Lost" Diary -- The Brig

5/3/2007 11:56 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

So I try and avoid promos and commercials as best I can, but they always find a way to creep in. This week, some people posted on TMZ about a confrontation between Locke and Sawyer. With Locke's dad looming on the island, I have to assume that this could be the week we learn that Locke's dad is the original Sawyer (the man who conned Sawyer's parents, driving his dad to kill his mom, then himself). If that's the case, tonight's episode could be off the charts.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way.

This week it's a special East Coast edition of the Diary. I am back in Queens, N.Y. for the week, so I am not with the usual crew. Instead, I am watching with just one other person; my mom. If she says anything about Sawyer along the same lines as Lauren usually does, it would be uncomfortable. Let's roll:
Lost
10:00 -- The "previously on 'Lost'" goes through Locke's history, so I imagine this will be the night we find out what he's been up to since we last saw him.

10:01 -- We're flashing back to eight days ago. I love when "Lost" does an "on island" flashback.

10:02 -- Normally during "Lost," I have no problem typing while a scene is going on. When Locke and Henry Gale are involved, I barely even breathe, much less type. What did Locke's dad mean when he said, "Don't you know where we are?"

10:03 -- "Would you like to come with us?" -- Henry Gale. Can I come too? Is it weird that I want to be Anakin Skywalker to Henry Gale's Chancellor Palpatine? Actually, don't answer that.

10:04 -- We cut back to Kate and Sawyer spooning. Would have thought Kate would have been the little spoon. Oh well.

10:05 -- I bet Lauren even finds Sawyer taking a piss to be sexy.

10:08 -- So Locke has Henry Gale tied up in the forest -- would have thought it was his dad. Actually, I still think it is. I just figure Locke would have had a tough time explaining that one to Sawyer.

10:09 -- "We've been waiting for you." -- Cindy. That rates pretty high on the creepy scale.

10:10 -- So as a gesture that he is ready to be a true Other, Henry Gale wants Locke to kill his father. And why should this take any convincing? I would think Locke would jump at the chance. Oh right, he's not a killer. We shall see.

10:12 -- My mom is actually taunting me with Charlie's presence. She's a loyal reader and more than aware of how much I hate him, but she doesn't have to rub it in.

10:13 -- So Desmond and the crew are keeping parachute lady hidden in a tent on the beach. My mom recognizes her as the chick from "Vegas." Good catch, mom.

10:14 -- Locke is bringing up Sawyer's parents. I feel my prediction is on its way to coming true. I am downright giddy.

10:16 -- Sawyer says he won't kill anyone, Locke says he'll change his mind. Prediction time: since it's pretty obvious Locke has his dad tied up somewhere and not Henry Gale, do you think Sawyer will kill Locke's dad? I go with yes.

10:19 -- Let's welcome Sayid back to the show. All together now, "Hi, Sayid."

10:20 -- Parachute lady is named Naomi. Good to know. Other than that, I don't know what to make of her whole story.

10:23 -- "It's time." -- Henry Gale. Well you just know something cool is about to happen when Henry Gale says that.

10:24 -- "The hesitation that you're feeling is just the part of you that still feels like he has a perfectly good explanation for stealing your kidney, throwing you out of an eight story window." -- Henry Gale. I bow at the feet of Henry Gale.

10:25 -- Locke's dad doesn't think that Locke can kill him. He can't do it, we all know he can't do it. Why doesn't Henry Gale know it?

10:26 -- Man, the Others sure enjoy gathering to watch a man get stabbed on a pillar.

10:27 -- "I'm sorry, he's not who we thought he was." -- Henry Gale. Reminds me of the scene in "The Matrix" before we found out Neo was the one. I guess that makes Henry Gale our Morpheus.

10:28 -- "It's an old slaving shape, mid 19th-century." -- Locke. Is there anything he doesn't know?

10:29 -- Yup, Locke's dad is the one tied up. Things should really start to get interesting.

10:33 -- OK, seriously, Naomi's "satellite phone" is really just the iPhone. I didn't check the credits closely, did Steve Jobs produce this episode?

10:34 -- If Locke weren't harboring a couple of hostages, I would hope that he would have asked Rousseau what she wanted with all that dynamite. I am pretty sure a crazy French woman should never be given a whole crate of explosives.

10:35 -- So Alpert gave Sawyer's file to Locke so that he could figure out Sawyer's connection to his dad. Great move.

10:37 -- "If there were any bullets in that gun, why would you hold a knife to my throat?" -- Locke. That right there is what makes him John Locke.

10:38 -- So, apparently, the Others staged a car accident so they could get Locke's dad onto the island -- or at least that's how it sounded. Interesting note: Locke's dad referred to Locke as his "dead son." This probably confirms Naomi's story about Oceanic Flight 815 being "found" and everyone aboard being "dead."

10:40 -- "If this isn't hell, friend, then where are we?" -- Locke's dad.

10:41 -- "A con man goes by many names, friend. I've been Alan Seward, Anthony Cooper, Ted Maclaren, Tom Sawyer ..." -- Locke's dad. God this is getting good.

10:42 -- "Sawyer's my name too." -- Sawyer. Just a great scene all around. Very possibly the best scene not involving Locke or Henry Gale this season.

10:45 -- "Don't tell me what I can't do, John." -- Henry Gale. Locke's favorite line, thrown back at him.

10:46 -- "Unless you're carrying your father's body on your back, don't bother." -- Henry Gale.

10:47 -- Wait a sec, you're telling me Sawyer still has that letter on him? Come on.

10:50 -- "You wanna go to hell?" -- Sawyer. Great line to say as you're strangling a guy with a chain.

10:51 -- "Thank you." -- Locke. So Locke didn't actually kill his dad, but he might as well have. Not sure how this makes him feel any better about it.

10:54 -- "Anything you can say to me, you can say in front of her." -- Jack. What a tool. My mom had a better description: "A**hole."

10:56 -- "We should tell her." -- Juliet. Well, I guess that confirms that Jack is working with Juliet somehow. But tell her what exactly? Something is up here. They are definitely double-crossing Henry Gale somehow.

10:57 -- Locke is giving Sawyer Henry Gale's tape recorder so he can go back and warn the camp that the Others are coming soon. Seems like Juliet and Jack might be on verge of warning them anyway.

10:58 -- "I'm on my own journey now." -- Locke.

10:59 -- Remember when Henry Gale said, "Unless you're carrying your father's body on your back, don't bother"? Guess Locke is taking that literally.

I can often judge an episode by how many quotes I write down. I am a huge fan of dialog -- Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet being the masters. When Locke and Henry Gale are prominent in an episode, I know I am going to get some great scenes. You can just tell the writers of the show love writing for those two characters.

I am giving this episode a B+. I really enjoyed seeing how Locke had spent his time with the Others. The performances and writing were top notch and there were at least three scenes that had me holding my breath. No startling revelations (we all saw the Sawyer/Locke's dad thing coming) and no killer ending is what kept it from getting an A.

A couple of leftover, random thoughts before I finish. What did Henry Gale mean when he kept saying that Locke was the one that brought his dad to the island? Will the island take revenge on Sawyer for killing someone? A meeting with the black smoke monster, perhaps?

Before I get to this week's question, I owe you guys my answer to last week's. "The Wire" is my favorite show on television and is probably the best show of all-time. If you don't watch it, and if you trust me on the matters of television at all, you'll rent season one when you have a chance. Nothing else compares.

On to our question for this week: As a fan of shows like "The Shield," I have no problem when good guys do bad things. Locke's dad was a shitty guy who ruined Sawyer's life. I am perfectly okay with Sawyer killing him. Are you? See you next week.

cherylr96

#79 Good point, maybe she didnt eject, but just jumped out the helicopter door. Maybe just a writer's error?

Juliet

Favorite line of the show: "Little hot for heaven, ain't it?"--Tom Sawyer, aka Locke's dad

Although I have to say, I saw the whole Locke's-dad-is-also-the-original-Sawyer thing coming from miles away.

Ryan M

I think the whole thing with Naomi is that the Others sent her, but Julia doesn't know about it. That's why she asked if anyone SAW the helicopter, and seemed a bit aprehensive. I think that the Others are making Naomi and Locke's dad say that the plane crashed, to mess with the survivors. If multiple people tell them that the plane crashed, and they start to doubt where they are, maybe they will stop trying to leave, which plays right into the other's hands......

katesucks

Oh man, I love your blog.

I would actually give this episode an A because I truly didn't see the Sawyer/dad thing coming. I thought the acting was superb--as Sexy as Sawyer is at being sarcastic and lecherous, I liked the range of emotions his character went through.

I too, am really curious what Jack and Juliet know about the girl who fell from the sky.

Also, my theory is that Ben purposely let John see where he was putting that tape and planned on Locke taking it and telling the rest of the gang. It's got to be all kind of a plan to set up a confrontation between factions. Cna't wait til next week, I heard the backstory will be about Ben...

Crys

I agree with Daniel that this episode was a winner.

What is happening with the people that were burried alive. ANYONE ...????

Lauren, the LOST Nazi

Ummmm, was it my birthday last night?! Sawyer, Sawyer, Sawyer!! Best Sawyer episode ever!! I am almost speechless.

I said almost.

Dan, it wasn’t the same without you last night. Not as much witty banter, but you did miss some hilarious comments about Alpert, Rousseau, Kate, Juliet’s hair and of course you missed my humping the TV whenever Saywer was on screen. And also lot of fainting, heavy breathing, sexually inappropriate remarks, and obnoxious squealing. I’m glad your mom restrained herself.

As if Sawyer wasn’t hot enough already, he really shined last night. That was the best acting Josh has done this season. He was tender, bad ass, conflicted, rageful, confused, courageous, and HOT all at the same time. He’s been his best this year, but last night really blew me away. We got to all the layers!

First of all Kate sucks. Any woman that is voluntarily leaving Sawyer’s tent post-nookie is an idiot and needs to be killed. And yes Dan, I noticed she was spooning him. And she left?! What I would give to spoon Sawyer. Quadruple sigh.

I hate Kate. That stupid jackass went and told Jack and Juliet about Naomi! Way to screw everything up. Not only are you not good enough for Sawyer, but you have to f up everthing else! I hate Jack I want to dropkick him. He can’t be trusted, and I’m so glad no one else trusts him either.

Have I mentioned how obsessed I am with Desmond? I heart him madly. Second only to Sawyer. I swear, even if Desmond is in the episode for only 2 minutes, he is amazing. He’s such a good addition to that show.

Some other random things:

- I loved that Locke’s dad actually thought he was dead.
- Benry is amazing. Always has been, always will be. I love that he feels threatened by Locke’s being special.
- Why was Alpert so dressed up? who thinks “hmmm, we’re going to be nomads today and move camps, but I feel like putting on a crisp, starched shirt and slacks and dress like I’m going to an interview.”
- What the hell was Rousseau doing? Seriously, what is that crazy woman up to? Why does she need a box of dynamite? Is she planning on taking back Alex since Kate told her the Others had her? Sometimes I wonder why they really find it necessary to keep Rousseau around.

There were so many amazing, powerful scenes. The acting was superb and that was Sawyer’s best episode in a long time. That scene with Locke and Sawyer after Sawyer strangled Locke’s dad was amazing. I was blown away. Best non-sex scene with Sawyer ever.

That episode was incredible. Predictable? Yes. But still utterly and totally satisfying. A+++

Am I ok with Sawyer killing his dad? I’d be ok if Sawyer killed all the Losties, ate Polar Bears, and dressed in women’s clothes. I’m ok with anything that hot piece of man does.

Great article as always! I totally agree that the writing was awesome last night. glad to have you back next week. the scenes were RIDICULOUS!! I couldn’t even breathe watching them!

Jenny R.

OMG!OMG! I loved this episode!! Yes, Sawyer had to kill him..,but I wish he hadn't.. I wish somebody else would of killed him instead. He's so going to change.. I doubt he'll tell anybody about what happened to him, when he returns to the camp.

This episode gets an "A"... .. I kept rewinding it.. After I saw it, I had to see again.. Sawyer was fantastic! I felt his rage, it felt so good! (wipes mouth*)... I can't stand the wait, for next Wednesday. You see!! Lost is such a great show.. I can't even describe the feeling I felt when Sawyer was speaking to Locke's dad... Which by the way.. wasn't he ever creepy?.. His eye sockets looked so deep and dark.. I swear at times, I thought he was going to morf into a demon like creature.. (Locke's Dad) He freaked me out. He wasn't even holding back on his "evil ways".. You would think he would say anything to let him go, but instead he made it easy for Sawyer to kill him.. As if he provoked it on purpose.. I really want to know what the end of the letter said. I think I missed the episode where the letter is read in its entirely.

The promos for next week, are were so good. My curiousity is at its peak.. I had chills, and I even woke up my husband sleeping next to me with all of my high pitching squeels and gasps! This show is sooooooooooooooo good!! I saw a girl hanging in next week's promos!! Did anybody else see that?!!

katesucks

by the way, the sign on the preview said NAMASTE--which is a peaceful greeting used in Buddhism and some forms of yoga...

LostObsessed

If it really is hell they are in, then why do people still die? If Cooper REALLY thought he was already dead and in hell, why was he afraid of Saywer killing him? What happens to people on the island when they "die" if they're already in hell? And if they ARE in hell, why do the Others think they are "good"? Wouldn't they belong in heaven? I obviously am not a big fan of the "we're in hell" theory. I also hate Cooper because he's a big jerk, so I don't think he's right.
This all makes me think its some sort of alternative timeline theory, which makes me confused and upset.
But I was very glad Sayid was back, and I think it's very telling that the campers decided to tell someone they could trust, and that person was Sayid. From now on, whatever Sayid says goes, because he's always right, he can fix anything, and he's really awesome, too.
When will we find out about Libby in the mental hospital? She's my favorite character on the whole show...

No Longer A Lost Fan

An interesting episode and I'm going to watch and see how Locke sells the fact that he did not kill his father -- he only passed the buck to someone else and thus is an accessory after the fact; will that count? I also don't believe that WAS his father; I think it's a boggart (see Harry Potter III for the explanation of that).

As for Kate going squalling to Daddy (she's now started to behave toward Jack like a whiny toddler, for some reason), and the look between Mom and Dad, er, Jack and Juliet (Jack and Jill would have been more fun and you could have done a lot with "went up the hill...etc.) before Jack says "Should we tell her?" makes me believe that we are now channeling The Trueman Show. I had an instant picture of millions of eyes all over the world watching these people on teevee, and the robots like Niki and Paolo, Anna Lucia, etc. not being actually dead bodies but just artfully placed androids to heighten the show for the viewers. It's a cop out, but it's still better than the Langoliers.

The camp site was a cute touch. I like the idea that the Other Kids take time out from their homes to go camping together in the valley (Swallows and Amazons came to mind here). Richard with the dispatch case was clearly somebody's PA and gave the whole thing such a nice businesslike tone.

Not a bad episode. I give it a B.

As for Sawyer killing "Sawyer" I would be against it if I didn't believe that the being was a boggart and not a human being. There are times when somebody needs killing but you should not murder in a blind rage and that's what Sawyer did.

As for Kate being pregnant, I can't think of a worse fate for a child than to have her and Sawyer for parents.

Ana

Just want to take a moment to give props to teh DOUG, post #35, for coming up the genious name for Jack and Juliete: JACKLIETE! Love it. Absolutely love it. I vote for Jackliete as their official name, who's with me? God, what a pair.

Jackliete.....priceless. *wiping tears from eyes* Just priceless

Ana

Oh god!!!
"No longer A Lost Fan" you're back!! Just go away!

BJK

John Lock is the Messiah with Ben and crew being his deciples.

It came to me in a dream.

scarlet

Namaste is a sanskrit word that loosely translates to " the light in me sees and connects with the light in you". Namaste, Lauren, let us join in spirit and send out a massive, huge good thought of gratitude to Sawyer for bringing such heat.

Maybe Juliet is the 3rd prego... she was having sex with one of the others in a scene, but maybe that was a moment from the way back machine. Seems weird that she would be the one, but I can't really think who else???

Commentator Ana, your comments are right on and so funny. You said just what i was thinking. I watch Lost alone- every one else is usually asleep, but I am always thinking of the Dan and Lauren crew so i know there will be some juice online in the am....Not all who wander are lost...

BETH

Ok so I think that Juleitte and Jack are going to tell Kate she is PREGNANT! After all thats why Juliette is there to find out who is all pregnant. Since she has been with Sawyer, who is by the way VERY HOT! I am REALLY curious where they are now, Island/ or Purgatory?? LOVED this episode! The next 3 will be AWESOME I think!!

Love the Blog!