Kelly to Clive:

Shove It!

5/8/2007 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kelly Clarkson vs. Clive Davis"Idol" champ Kelly Clarkson has used her music muscle against her record label head, Clive Davis -- and won!

Well-connected record company sources tell TMZ that Clive likes to exercise "creative control" over artist recordings and wasn't happy at all with Kelly's latest album, "My December." There are unconfirmed reports Clive wanted to shelve the entire album. TMZ has confirmed that the 75-year-old music mogul asked for "significant" changes and wanted to put the brakes on the CD. But Clarkson wasn't having any of it -- especially since she wrote/co-wrote all the tracks on the record.

Sources tell us that Clarkson stood up to him and flat out refused to give in, and in the end she got her way.

One source told TMZ there is "deep tension" between Clarkson and Davis, adding, "She's definitely upset, but she's not a stupid girl."
"My December" drops July 24. Kelly performed one of the album's tracks on "Today" this morning.

cch

oh and First single "Never Again" debuted last week at No. 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 and in the top 5 on the Hot Digital Songs and Hot Digital Tracks tallies

cch

Yeah Clive discovered Whitney and she turned into a crackhead. Hey No That Crack is Whack says whitney... please

billy

I love how all of you who say the album sucks when the darn thing has not even been released yet. It's coming out July 24th and you're basing your hate on the entire album on one song that has been released so far. I have faith in Kelly and I love her voice so I'm all ready for this new album. You go girl, your fans are behind you 100%.

Steve

Clive Davis has not known what the beat of America is in years. He needs to let his young artist do what they do best, create. He wouldn't know a good song or artist right now even if he took his bias blinders off.

Steve

Man is out of touch. He thinks he can springboard Whitney Houston's career again. She's a has been. Man needs to retire and quit getting involved in the talent and creative process of singers.

Steve

Clive Davis needs to be put in a nursing home and go away. I hate it that he is so affiliated with American Idol. He is the has been and needs to realize his name doesn't carry weight anymore. He's over.

Steve

Davis was once a big name. He no longer carries that title. He needs to get over his self and his over inflated ego and let the artists be artists. Quit being a over aged music nazi.

Jake

She sounds amazing...LOVE the new song. Can't wait for the album. Clive is a bit on the "Old" side not sure if he is quite in touch with what I want to hear! Kelly Rocks!

anna

Yea, I agree with the person that said don't bite the hand that feeds you. He has been doing this along time and I would trust his judgement and would not back talk THE MAN. She is an idiot. I hate the new song I heard it this morning and it sucks.

jodinflorida

KELLY'S TALENT IS PROVEN OVER AND OVER BY THE FACT THAT SHE CAN DO MORE THAN JUST SING....SHE WRITES ALOT OF HER MUSIC AND LYRICS.....THAT'S A TRUE ARTIST!

DaMama

Barb -

you are right on, girl! Clay Aiken should have stood up to Davis like Kelly Clarkson has. He had an original album with songs he co-wrote, along with Steven Curtis Chapman and other artists. Clive Davis nixed it and had him do a bunch of remakes. It iwas not in Clay's best interest to do this and the CD did not do as well. Shame on Clive Davis!!!

I hope Kelly does well. I don't like how some of her clothes have become a bit skanky since she won AI, but she's still got the pipes. She was awesome on the "Idol Gives Back" special. You go, girl!

sparkle

Weight this weight that - Enough!!! She's fine, who are we to judge, *yawn*
She's a great singer.
Not a fame whore like all the others. PERIOD.

TCURyne

Kelly recently stated she choose to "write" the songs on her latest album was because "she has plenty of money" and could gamble on expressing herself as an artists. Do not let her blow smoke over your eyes! Songwriters usually pull in more royalties than the performer. Now combine this with the money she will receive as a singer and she will more than likely make more money than she would on a very successful album with unoriginal material. I am also frustrated with her claim she wrote the music on her album. There is a huge difference between being a lyricist and a writer. Writers must create arrangements, harmonies, melodies, etc. I doubt Kelly sat there with sheet music and filled in every note for every sung word! And there is no way she wrote the instrumental section! Also, Kelly get a clue and come back to reality. You won a singing contest. Perhaps the most commercialized, POP singing contest in history. I guess now you want some credibility. OK. But atleast stop writing the same boring junk about ex-boyfriends and how pissed you are!!! WE GET IT!!! Also, buy a treadmill!!!

TCURyne

To everyone who says Clive Davis is out of touch,

He signed Maroon 5!!! #1 song in the country right now!!! Do your homework. Don't bite that hand that feeds you!

Ms. Sugar Walls

I really do like Kelly Clarkson. I think that her album is long over do! Kelly kicks ass!