Akon Apologizes -- I Didn't Know She Was Underage

5/9/2007 5:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

AkonTMZ has just received a statement from R&B singer Akon in response to the media firestorm over his onstage simulated sex romp with a 15-year-old during a concert in Trinidad a few weeks ago:

"First, and most important to me, I want to sincerely apologize for the embarrassment and any pain I've caused to the young woman who joined me on-stage, her family and the Trinidad community for the events at my concert in Port of Spain on April 12th.

It was never my intention to embarrass or take advantage of my fans in any way, especially those under the age of 18. That is why we tried to make sure that the club did not admit anyone under 18 in the audience. Somehow, that standard was not met.

Again, I apologize to those concerned and to all my fans and I pledge to all that we will strive to make sure this type of incident does not happen again."

Abby

where were her parents when all this was going on?

JENNIFER ANNISTON LITE

PURE AND CLEAN - GO SCREW YOURSELF BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL EVER DO IT.

SECONDLY, YOU GUYS NEED TO GO MORMAN AND UTAH COUNTRY AND GET ALL OF THOSE 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 GIRLS AWAY FROM THOSE DIRTY OLD MEN WHO MARRY THOSE GIRLS AND GET THEM PREGNANT! NO SIMULATION THERE - ITS THE REAL THING. I DON'T SEE YOU PEOPLE AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THAT!

STOP WORRYING ABOUT A SHOW.

P.S. AKON SOLD OVER 3 MILLION COPIES OF HIS VERY FIRST CD - THAT'S WHO THE HELL HE IS!!!

blair

Blah, BLAIR obviously has an admirer. Dah well...

ps:

GET OVER IT

myview

so you mean if she wasn't underage it would be o.k. ?

Tess

What you did on stage was reprehensible to women of ALL AGES, much less a 15 year old. You should set a better example. I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone to disrespect your mother, sister, aunt, cousins, etc.... by treating them that way. The way you tossed that young lady around onstage bordered on criminal. You should be charged with indecent exposure and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Get a clue AKON, or you won't be in the business very long! You should be ashamed of yourself.

yoda

Too late Imus......,

........I mean Akon.

smartypants

Wow Debra -- the sight of his voice.......lol

tbird

I'm not saying what he did was ok, but you are just kidding yourself if you think that some of the girls out there don't ask for that crap. I'm a 24 yr old female, and I know my ass wouldn't be anywhere near that kinda stuff. BUT, there are a hell of a lot of girls out there who are just as dirty as AKON is, and wouldn't give a rats ass if he did that to them. I can see both sides. It was wrong, gross, perverted, etc. It was also HER choice to go to a concert that was for 18 and up only. And i didn't see the footage, but did they drag her onstange???

ivy

Dam*n! Was that 15 year old girl STONED out of her mind?????

Akon is crusty and ugly.

This should be a wake up call to young girls everywhere. DON'T DO DRUGS OR DRINK AT CONCERTS. You could end up getting mauled by a hideously ugly dude.

Hal

One of our most precious possessions is our reputation. Lose it; can't get it back. Don't go there.

Janice

1. Where the hell were her parents. I never see the Parents ever taken any responsibility in these sitiuations. Maybe if they were there in the first place that wouldn't have taken place
START TEACHING YOUR KIDS MORALS PEOPLE!!!!!!!
STOP EXPECTING THESE ENTERTAINERS TO DO IT FOR YOU!!!!!!
2. These Rappers like Akkon spew out Garbage that demene woman an glamorize whores and strippers what do these guys expect to happen when they sell thier souls to the devil

Jac

I can understand if he thought she was 18 or over, I've been in a club before that was 21+ and drank with someone who turned out to be 16, something which horrified me (underaged is NEVER cool). Still, Akon should take some responsibility for being a creep on stage.

Sally

He's trying to save his endorsements, but he's right. It's the club's responsibility to make sure that no underage gets in. Somebody needs to put the club on notice with a lawsuit. Maybe the young girl's family? And Akon should know that camera phones are EVERYWHERE. When you do something like that, do it in public.

get your facts straight tmz

Janice her father is a pastor!

melinda uk

Firstly people were supposed to be over 18 to buy a ticket to gain entrance and this girl got an older friend to buy a ticket on her behalf. Secondly if you have seen the video and this girls pics she looks way over 18. Thirdly the girl volunteered to go up on stage she was not forced and she as smiling throughout, she only protested after when the video was leaked and it caused embarrassment to her father (a pastor). I don't agree necessarily with what Akon did on stage and i think it's harsh to call it "stimulated rape" plety of performers do that in the Caribbean ,but the girl was underage and she should not have been there it's obvious Akon was unaware she was underage at the time he cannot be blamed. Though he should treat women more respectfully on stage I hope he learns from this as it has hit him financially in his pocket.